• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

Hi Astoness

I will get back to you on the ' Bruce ' connection. can you tell me when this photo was taken and is it near Lichfield Road.

Many Thanks

hi frederick. can you just refresh my memory re the bruce connection and which photo are you referring to..think ive lost the plot lol..

hi paul..im slowly going though all me old mags so i will keep em peeled for the recruiting office for you...

lyn

Hi Lyn

I asked about Pershore Rd, this is where my great uncle Frank Robert Bruce lived c1910. You think you have Bruce's in your family. I will give you a bit more information on that at a later date.

Elaine

hi elaine..im sorry but it was not me who asked the bruce family...i have no connections with that name im afraid...maybe you could go back on your posts to find out who it was..

lyn..

Brilliant pics! Thanks for your time and trouble, Astoness. Memories of my uncle's place in the court of Icknield Port Road came back. Used to work at Bell and Harwood (Steel stockholders), Duke St., Aston. Pictures of the Aston and Ladywood areas are familiar.

Fantastic Pic - anyone have any idea were Griffen's shop in Aston was please?
Aidan only Griffin shops I knew were Greengrocers in High St Aston Mom worked there.

Can't find the photo

Last edited:
here you go carolina..sorry my mistake it was on page one lol...also on the same page is the thread OLD BRUM MAG PICS...

lyn

Last edited:
Mini images of some of Lyn's pics which she scanned from a pile of Old Evening Mails and originally posted in this thread but were lost when the forum was hacked in 2011. Copies of the pics have been collected and put into four galleries as PDF files which can be viewed on any computer. A click on the images below will open a PDF file which can be viewed online or saved. Some of the pics will enlarge with a click on them and captions can be read.
______

Note the pics were in table layouts which does not suit new forum software so they are now in pdf files which can be accessed by clicking any image above. The pdfs can be viewed here online or saved to any computer.

Last edited:
Note:- The layout of pics in this post did not suit new forum software so they have all been collected and can be found in a post#314 above

Last edited:
so pleased that you saved these pics oldmohawk..i didnt..as you know i did say i would take them off coppermine and repost them myself but i just dont seem to have the time at the min...thank you for taking up the challenge...

lyn

Hi Topysturvey, Lyn, John, Dek,
It is difficult to connect the images with the original thread posts which many of us found so interesting when Lyn originally posted them in 2009 so I thought I would try a gallery to show what was there (more to come). The big images with titles are in a named album in Coppermine if anyone want to look at them or copy them. Thanks about Loxton Street school I've edited and added more titles.
oldmohawk

You have to register for Coppermine to see or copy them - they are in my album entitled 'Some of Astoness's old evening mail pics from the BHF'

Hi Topysturvey, Lyn, John, Dek,
It is difficult to connect the images with the original thread posts which many of us found so interesting when Lyn originally posted them in 2009 so I thought I would try a gallery to show what was there (more to come). The big images with titles are in a named album in Coppermine if anyone want to look at them or copy them. Thanks about Loxton Street school I've edited and added more titles.
oldmohawk

old mowhawk we are just grateful that you are taking the time to repost them on the thread...please dont worry about posting them on the oringinal posts..you cant do that anyway..only i can...

keep up the good work and thank you so much...

lyn

oldMohawk. Thanks a million for all the time and effort you,ve taken to ensure we can see these pictures again. Really appreciated my friend. Barry.

the old meets the new..demolision of the exchange buildings...what a waste...

img343.jpg

This picture captures a lot about Birmingham Lyn. I love it. (The pic & Brum of course.)

to go with my pic on post 431 this is the exchange buildings before the powers that decided it was a good idea to get rid of it...

Exchange1955_.jpg

Back