• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hingeston Street

hi alan
just read your thread on your dad ,
yes i do you remember your father ,he was a good player
of the arcordian always well dresed and very popular around
the pubs of spring hill
especialy the coach and horses , the queens head
and the inglbye arms and the colledge arms
most week ends you would see and hear him play the tunes
in the queens people liked him and respected him
and the people would sing along with him when playing is tunes he certainly made people happy on saturday nights
occasionioly he would be thee on saturday morning
and the odd sundays he also played in the grotto
in camden street
then one day he just not around any more for what ever the reason ,;
have a nice day al; best wishes astonion ;;;;

Looked through the thread, still unsure where number 2 is? Nan in 1891 lived at 42 court 2 Hingeston street. Any help please

Would the houses in pictures be of that time?

Ray

Ray
I think it is no 2 court 42 you are looking for .
I have gone over the electoral roll to determine here court 42 was, and it was between nos 110 and 112. This was for around 1890 and after, as the house numbering was changed sometime about 1880. I'm fairly sure the two houses in court 42 are those marked in red , just up from The Laurels Pub.
Mike

Also added Rose & Crown at 126 in blue

map_c1890_showing_court_42_hingeston_st_and_Rose_and_crown.jpg

hi mike..i wonder on that map if you could mark out the rose and crown pub for me please..if memory serves i think it was number 126...

many thanks..

lyn

Mike thanks,

I will recheck census notes. I have

1891 - 42 Court No 2 Hingeston Street
Rose Whitehouse (nan) 8
Also Benjamin Edwards 33 - Sarah Edwards 36

Flory Edwards
5 - Arthur B Whitehouse 17

Ray

Lyn
I'm glad you asked that as , when i checked, I realised I'd got the position wrong for Ray by one court, because the alleyway must go down the right side of the pub looking from the front. Have now corrected the post and also put Rose & Crown on in blue
Mike

Sorry about that Lyn. don't know what happened. Its OK for me Now. hope it is for you as well
mike

Mike,
Checked 1891 census and it says 42 court 2 Hingeston Street. However after looking at map you provided I can't see where 42 abodes would fit behind a number 2. Thus I guess you're correct.

Ray

Ray
It is confusing. sometimes they list an address as "X back of .... ". That's clear enough. Often it can be "X court 42" (say), or "court 42 no X" or "no X court 42". The court number usually has nothing to do with the number of the house in front of it. Even worse is when over s period of time they change, and it starts as "X court 43", but later is referred to as "X back of ..."
mike

Mike,

Yes confusing, still now I know I will bear it in mind when trying to locate folks - thanks.

I live and learn and aim to keep learning.

Ray

I am interested in the Thomas Robert Jones family of Hingeston Street. Does anyone have any information on them, 1911-1950. Anything would be great

dave89.

Here are a few images of Hingeston Street circa 1960.

You can see the tarmac in the centre was to replace the road when the tram lines were taken up, not sure when that was, pre 1950 obviously,
has any one got any images of trams in Hingestion Street?

Dibs.

Hello, To All Hingestion Street Researchers

My gt gt grandparents lived at 30 Hingestion St, according to the 1881 census.

Philip William Hands age 42, a jeweller, born Birmingham, (also know as William Hands)
Florence (nee Nicholls, 2nd wife) age 27
JOSEPH HANDS, age 13 (my gt grandfather) born Birmingham
Leah Hands, age 6
Edith Hands, age 4
George Hands, age 2

Does anyone know of this HANDS family, or is there anyone related in any way?

I would be grateful for any help, in searching further back.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

this could be them in 1871 living at new john st. bham
william hands 32 jeweller b.bham
sarah hands 32 b.bham
william 11, albert 6, and joseph 4.

and in 1861 living bromsgrove st.
william hands 22 jeweller
sarah hands 22 bridle stitcher
william hands 1

all b.bham

Hi Shera

Many thanks for your quick reply, I do have this 1871 census. I am waiting to receive my gt grandfather, Joseph Hands, born abt 1867, birth certificate, so I can be 100% sure this is him, in 1871. But would be very grateful for any further help.

I have only just joined this forum, and find it very interesting, and extremely helpful.

Other names I'm searching are

HANDS, RICHARDS, ROBERTS, PROBERT, POOL, LANGSTON, all from the Birmingham area.

Many thanks,

Joan Harvey (nee HANDS)

I am not sure if these have a connection but they are all in a family grave section A grave number 177 at Key Hill Cemetery.

Joseph 1875, William 1900, Eliza 1911, Albert William Joseph 1922, Sarah Jane 1938. Sorry I only have this info from an index.

cant be sure of the 1851 without the birth certificate as there are about 4 or 5 possibles but this one looks the most likely

living bordesley st. bham

william hands 36 traveller
mary ann hands 25
charles 16 brass founder
william 12 jeweller
jane 10 at brass foundry
edward frederick 7
alfred henry 5

Hi again Shera

Thanks for the info, I do have these census, I do believe in the 1851 one, it is my gt gt gt grandfather, William Hands born abt 1816, and married to Mary Ann Probert, (I think). Their son William, born abt 1838, being my gt gt grandfather.

Once I receive my gt grandfathers birth cert, I will be 100% sure. I also feel more confident, with your help, in finding the same.

I have left it so long, I wish I had joined this forum before now, as you are so helpful. It is a good 2 years, or more that I have been looking for my mysterious, gt grandfather Joseph Hands, the problem being of the different ages he has given in census for 1901 and 1911, when living in London. Another problem is, when he died in 1934, Hackney, London, his age is given as 64. I think he has told quite a few porky pies!!!!! But then again, why would the family have it wrong with his age, when he dies??? As I have said all mysterious stuff, this family searching, but I love it!!!

Many thanks again, all help very gratefully received.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

Hi Wendy

Thanks for you reply and info, on the HANDS family graves, I am not sure if these are my lot, but I will make a note of these for further reference, just in case.

Very grateful for your help and advice, this forum is brilliant, I have only just joined, but wishing I had joined a long time ago, as it is so helpful.

The name HANDS, is quite uncommon where I live in Kent, it is very rarely heard of, but so very different in the Birmingham area, there are so many, it is unbeliveable. But obviously this must be where the name originates from. So are there any more HANDS family members out there??? I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks again for your help.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

Hi Claire-Brum

My gt gt grandfather Philip William Hands (also known as William Hands), age 42, lived at 30 Hingestion Street, according to the 1881 census.
His wife was Florence (Nicholls, I think), age 27 (his second wife)
Son, Joseph Hands, age 13 (my gt grandfather)
daughter, Leah, age 6
daughter, age 4
Son, George, age 2

Do you know of this HANDS family, as your family must have only lived about 10 doors away.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice. Thank you.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

Hi, I lived in Hingeston Street as a child from 1961-1965, i remember a rag factory a few doors up from house number 111. Can anyone remember it and who owned it?

I also played a small part in the Cathy come home film as a lot of it was shot up our back yard and i used to play with the producer's son Paul.

My great grandfather, Robert French was landlord of The Rose and Crown in Hingston Street in the late 1870@s until he died in 1880. He was succeeded by his widow, Sarah Ann French, who remained there as landlord until 1883. She remarried in 1881 to Ernest Alfred Worsey. They left The Rose and Crown in 1883 and moved to The Vine in Blews Stret West, where Ernes was the landlord.

Does anybody remember Nellie and George Lewis from Hingeston Street. They were my Grandparents who I often stayed with when I was a small child because my brother was in hospital. They had two children Jean and Pat. George had a big shed in the courtyard. Any replies to andrewpoyner589@gmail.com

Thank you

reposting a few of hingeston st..late 60s...

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back