• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hingeston Street

Someone else was lookung for court 4 camden st. It was next to Sloane
street, which earlier was known as tyndall st. No 36 was the building in front of it . There should be a 1890 map somewhere on the forum showing it . Rather then repeat it go to https://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/jeemikejee/mapcourt4camdenst.jpg

mike

Hi Mike

I often used to travel up Hingeston Street in the 1960's/early 70's on
the 96 bus when I worked at R. White's in Western Road. I can remember that some of the street cobbles were laid out in very fine 'fan' patterns
which I have never seen elsewhere. Were these laid at the same time as the Victorian back to backs were built, or does the street date from earlier times. Also I would like to know the origin of the name, -I would guess
that it must have had significance in the area at the time or it would have been pronounced Hinge-ston Street rather than the local way.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave
I can't comment on the pattern of the cobbles. but the 1839 map shows what probably became Hingeston street laid out as dotted lines, but with no bulidings. This would indicate that it was planned about this time. however it does not appear, either as a listed road or a side road off Icknield st in the 1855 or 1858 directories, but is there in the 1862 corporation directory, and so i would think it would have been built 1858-62.
Mike

does anybody have aphoto oth opposite side road of the rose and crown as i was born there no 137 in 1950

hi brian...i may have another pic somewhere of the street but cant recall what part..will sort it out for you and post it....

astoness

hi brian..this was taken in the late 60s..hope it of some use to you..

astoness

hi dibbs
yes thats the one ,
the laurrells murder was before the rose murder
and at the rose murder the the victim lived directly oppersit the pub doors
in those house facing ,i could tell you the name but i don,t think
our moderaters would allow it as i have been told before not to
publish names ,have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;;

hi astoness thats great how you could enjoy living there i dont know but i did

hi brian...glad its ok...they do say home is where the heart is..and always remember your roots.....

astoness

hi again astoness i know its rude to ask a ladies age just wondered what years you lived there. also i remembered the people who kept the rose and crown were named cassidy

hi ya dibb..thanks eveso ....i have not got any of those pics...brillient...

brian...you are 3 years older than me but i didnt live in hingeston st...my interest in it is bacause my dad moved there when he was about 3 months old.. it was his moms step parents who ran the rose and crown...this was in 1929..dad was actually born in the globe tavern...hospital st but when his moms step parents took on the rose and crown they moved with them....hence his love for pubs over the years...lol

lyn

hi lyn i think my dad lived in the rose and crown most of the time. sunday dinner time when to way family favourites came on the wireless was his cue to go in there which i have said was direcly over the horse road

Great pics, more for my collection :) My Gt Nan lived back of 52 Hingeston Street, does anyone know if it was anywhere near that pub?

hi claire my name is lawrence lilved there in the early fifties my dad albert (bill) and my grandad lived for years

Hi Brian, the Lawrence side of my family lived all over Hockley, Gt Gt Grandad Philip was born Caroline Street Hockley, they were in the Jewellery Trade Gold and Silver smiths, My Gt Grandad Thomas lived in Northwood Street Hockley for about 30 years, wonder if we are connected? :)

Claire.

Must have been in one of these two images then as this is even numbers
Hingeston street, both side of Ellen Street.

Forgot to thank Mac Joseph for his wonderful images.

hello claire my grandad was William my dad Bill lived in pope street as a child but im afraid i cant remember any more family members in the area although i did have members named Rowley my uncle (moms brother) had a plumbing business his yard was in College street they lived in Middleton street my mothers name was Rose but everybody knew her as Till

Claire
No 52 was Cashes cooked meat shop for many years, so its the second of Dibs photos
Mike

brian..your dad sounds a bit like mine then...i think being born in one must have given dad a taste for the old beer...lol...he played darts for many pubs and cleaned quite a lot of their windows....needless to say it usually took him longer to clean the insides than it did the outside one.....

yep..sunday down the pub was a ritual...then round about 2 o clock dad was always back for dinner...happy days...

lyn

Astoness... window cleaner used to give me a ride on his ladder barrow up to his yard in Cliisold St i forgot about that till you mentioned windows

Hi Astonian & Astoness
sometime around 50 years ago i had a girlfriend who lived in Hingeston St, name of Christine
then one day she sodded off with a guy from work did me a great favour though
that was the last I saw of her

hi dennis
thanks for making me smile today,
can you tell us what number she lived at , as i have a couple of
christines in mind ,beleive me , whom was likely the girl
where did she work .
look foreward to hearing from you again,
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;;;

queens coronation celebrations 1953 hingeston st...wonder what pub that is...pretty sure its not the rose and crown...

lyn..

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Another great image Lyn, I do not know how you find them all lol.

Looks like they are walking downhill towards Icknield Street and passing the Laurels just down from the Rose & Crown.

Dibs

thanks dibbs...so the pub is prob the laurels..thanks for that...although my interest in hingeston st is well before the 50s i still like to put on any pics as one day someone on here will turn up and say....hey...thats my mom..or dad....now that would just make my day....

lyn...

thanks dibbs...so the pub is prob the laurels..thanks for that...although my interest in hingeston st is well before the 50s i still like to put on any pics as one day someone on here will turn up and say....hey...thats my mom..or dad....now that would just make my day....

lyn...
iam trying to trace my past . i lived in hingeston street in the late 50s early 60s as a young boy my father frank was blind and used to play the accordian in the pubs.
we lived at 5 back of 101 if anyone knows enythink please let me know i would be very greatful
alan pritchard
alanprt@yahoo.co.uk

Back