• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hill street.

i agree with you shirl...i keep looking at that pic and i find it hard to beleive that it once looked like that....

lyn...

You've more then likely seen this before. I'm just experimenting with photobucket

hill.jpg

looks interesting froth...if its possible i would like to see a larger version too...pleeeeeese...

lyn

thanks froth...i think the original pic would be ok if we could enlarge it..which we cant at the mo....btw..where did you get it from..

lyn

thanks froth...i think the original pic would be ok if we could enlarge it..which we cant at the mo....btw..where did you get it from..

lyn

It's out of an old book I've got called "Victorian and Edwardian Birmingham"
I think cuppa must have the same book.

hi all...ive just been sent some cracking pics....one is another great shot of ann st..another of christ church before demolision and one as it was being demolished...i have not seen them before so i have asked permission to post them on the forum...will get back on this asap

lyn

hi all..st judes church hill st....actually ive just seen that in brackets its also got tonk st so i hope this is right...

My Father won a medal from St Judes Sunday School inscribed "Never Absent Never Late According to the Rules of the School" this would be about circa 1890?, the medal was bronze, now lost in the mists of time. Len.

Richie
St judes went between 1971 and 1972 if that's any help. the albany seems to be there, but not sure when that was built. the pub adn other buildings in hill st that disappeared when the hotel was built went 1956-62.
mike

I believe the Albany to was built 1961-62 i was an apprentice electrician when i worked on that job. Dek

yet another gem of a pic shirl...amazing to think of hill street looking like that...

thanks for posting it...

lyn

Hello FrannnyG welcome to this great forum there appears to have been an alteration to the set up last night i appear to be having trouble too usually you just click on the attachments and they open some seem to open and some dont they may be of different file formats . Dek

hi fannyG and a warm welcome from me....if the attachements you are trying to open were posted before last september they maybe some of the pics that we unfortunately lost during a major upgrade and we have no way of getting them back unless the members who posted them can repost....just thought i would mention that as this could be another reason and therefore not your fault....hope this is of help

lyn

FrannyG iv,e had another look if you click on the paper clip to the right of the tread heading this will bring up a list of attachments they all appear to be jpeg when i clickon them only the last one will open (and that one wont enlarge)the rest i believe were lost prior to the up grade on the forum before Christmas. Dek

View attachment 47401It's that damn v-bulletin. It recognises that the photo has been posted, even though it won't show it, and therefore won't allow it to post again. have renamed and altered file slightly. hope this works

hill_st_inlate_1800s_showing_temperance_hotelA.jpg

Back