• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hill street.

these photos are amazing,when you think how things have changed throughout the years

Thanks for the picture Mike. It is one of only two I know of which show a horse tram in Victoria Square. The original horse tram route in Birmingham ran through from Carters Green, West Bromwich via Hockley to Colmore Row, continuing via Paradise Street and Suffolk Street to the Bristol Road, terminating at Bournbrook. It was opened in stages beween 1875 and 1879, but the section between Colmore Row and the bottom of Suffolk Street hill became disused in the mid 1880s. The busy Hockley line was converted to cable operation in 1888, terminating in Colmore Row by the future cathedral. Meanwhile the Bournbrook route terminated just after crossing Navigation Street. I recently discovered that old Kelly's direrctories list a tramway waiting room on the corner of Suffolk Street and Navigation Street.
Peter

just come accross this pic of hill st...cant be certain but i dont think its been posted before...the GPO bridge that was bombed during the war..

lyn

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of Green Street or Alcester Street in the 1870's???

hi folks...if you go to post 37 and look at cuppas brillent pic and then look at this one ive just found you could almost put them side by side to make one big pic...this one shows christ church...the temp hotel and a long view of new street...i did try and save cuppas pic so that i could post both pics side by side but it wont let me save it..

lyn

hill st dated 1870

img673.jpg

Amazing - so different from how it is now!

Would that be some sort of little factory in the foreground on the left, I wonder what they did there?

In 1868 the businesses listed for that stretch of road going down from Paradise St to Navigation St were:
65 Martineau & Smith, brass cock founders,
66 Hyett Charles, gas fitter
67 Cole Samuel, chair maker
68 Bromage Frederick , beer retailer
In 1872 the beer retailer had changed names and the brass cock founder had gone.
Later directories show that no 66 is south of swallow St, so I tend to think it might be the brass cock founder's premises
mike

thank you mike for that extra info..did anyone notice the ghostly figure standing in the middle of the road...

Back