• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Herbert Edgar Vincent

kah

Flamenco Brummie
My great great uncle Edgar Vincent Herbert was born in Appleford, Berkshire in 1880 but is living with his wife, Florence Miriam in Sparkbrook in 1911. In 1914 he signs up for the Canadian Expeditionary Force in Ontario and I think he might have been on a ship from Southampton to New York in 1930. I'm pretty sure he died in his 80's back in Berkshire.

Could anyone help with possible overseas records and, more generally, how common would this to-ing and fro-ing have been in those days?? (as far as I know he did'nt have a lot of money)

Many thanks

Karenanne
permenantly confused since taking up this hobby!!:rolleyes:

Re: Help with Atlantic hopping Herbert!!

Edgar Herbert Birth Date: abt 1880 Age: 50 Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1930 Port of Arrival: Southampton, England Ports of Voyage: Plymouth Ship Name: Mauretania

Edgar Vincent Herbert Birth Date: abt 1879 Age: 53 Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States Arrival Date: 20 Oct 1932 Port of Arrival: Southampton, England Ports of Voyage: New York and Cherbourg Ship Name: Majestic

Edgar V Herbert Death Registration Month/Year: 1965 Age at death (estimated): 86 Registration district: Abingdon Inferred County: Berkshire Volume: 6a Page: 12

Edgar V Herbert Spouse Surname: Fichrberg Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1917 Registration district: Elham Registration county (inferred): Kent Volume Number: 2a Page Number: 2249
Lillian E FIEHRBERG

many thanks Mike - so maybe he moved to Canada then at some point crossed to the USA then came home! (I had clearly got the Southampton to NY the wrong way 'round). Wonder what happened to his wife? More answers ... more questions!!!! Karenanne

Edgar Vincent Herbert / Florence Miriam Collett marriage registered 1st quarter 1906 Aston vol 6d page 384
She was born 4th quarter 1879 Cardiff (vol 11a page 256).
Edgar's birth is registered 2nd quarter 1879 Abingdon (which includes Appleford) vol 2c page 296.
I can find no death for Florence in the England and Wales BMD registers.

The Folkestone address was probably Shellons Street. it is almost all new property now.

Oh thanks Lloyd. I smiled when I saw the surname Collett., Although its a Cardiff birth, it's another 'big' family name in Appleford. My family all seem to marry in very small circles!! K

Surprisingly, it was not at all uncommon for the 'more adventurous' to travel back and forth. We were in the midst of Empire and any 'likely lad' could travel just about anywhere in search of fame, fortune and adventure - or, just to get away from tedium, or a nagging wife even! It was common to 'work' one's 'passage' so money was no object to travel in those days.

My father's great uncle Tom ran away at the age of ten to join the army as a drummer boy...in his early twenties he left the army, whilst in India; and travelled all over the world, working as he went : South East Asia, China, America, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, and finally Australia, where he 'panned for gold' - unfortunately, he was ship-wrecked and drowned, on his return journey to Britain!

Although many people never went further than the next village, many travelled far more extensively than to day.

Back