• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

great hampton row

thats great news kieron..that whole area is very close to my heart so any new photos would be a treat

cheers

lyn

thats great news kieron..that whole area is very close to my heart so any new photos would be a treat

cheers

lyn

I will be uploading more soon - I like to do a bit of research so that I can add a caption to the photographs. Oh, because I had to drop a link into Tower Street, I have another view of that butcher's shop. The family running the shop used to live around the corner in Tower Street and this property can be seen at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/tower-street/
Cheers for now, Kieron

3 images of Great Hampton Row, that may or may not have been on this thread previously, if they were I cannot see them now.

Hockley  Star & Garter Great Hampton Row - Brearley St  1960.JPG

Hockley Great Hampton Row  1939 .jpg

Hockley Great Hampton Row Loo Bloom.jpg

phil 1 and 3 i think i have posted ...most likely lost due to the hacking but pic 2 interests me as i am trying to place where abouts on gt hampton row it was taken..would help if i was an expert on trams and their routes i have an idea but will research it better later on

lyn

I have located some information about Post 184.
The date of the picture, is apparently, 13th. March, 1939. Car 594 is about to go into Livery Street from Great Hampton Row. The posters in the upper deck window details the abandonment of this route which will be 1st. April, 1939. Car 594 was built 1920/1 and lasted until sometime in 1952/3. To the right is a bus stop, all ready in place for the 69 bus service that will succeed the tram service.
Behind the horse and cart (coalmen?) is the Minerva pub -their Atkinson advert is on the wall. A little info here about the Minerva Vaults:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...bs-in-great-hampton-street-help-please.44343/
Over to the left is a car (a Standard Flying Ten it is suggested) outside the wire factory of Parsonages. A quick search about Parsonages revealed nothing, so I will leave that to others to research. ;)

excellent work alan...i thought the pub was the minerva....many thanks for confirming

lyn

Great Hampton Row.jpg The photo in the middle of post 184 is the junction of Great Hampton Row and Great Hampton St. The factory on the right was W. Canning in 1962 when I used to get off at that bus stop to go to work. The buildings on the left are still there.

Last edited:
Now we need Mike, with his mapping skills, to give some detail about those existing buildings and hopefully a mention of some of their occupants. ;)

Hello, I am a new member so please excuse me butting into what seems an old conversation. I have been fascinated the picture of the sides of pork in the alley next to the Vampire pub in Great Hampton Row as my great grandfather was Harry Knight the proprietor of the pork butchers. There are a lot of mentions of other photographs on this thread, including one from Kieron from the midlands pubs website, which is of knights butchers, but this is now missing on the thread, and the link to the midlandspubs site does not work as they appear to be revamping the site. Can anyone re-post the photo or any others of Knights if they have it please. Many thanks. Also they moved to 37-39 Great Hampton Row so any photos would also be good. My grandfather Henry Francis Knight had a grocer's shop I think in the Glebe Farm area in the 30s and 40s - does anyone know of this or have pictures please as well. Cheers.

Hello, I am a new member so please excuse me butting into what seems an old conversation. I have been fascinated the picture of the sides of pork in the alley next to the Vampire pub in Great Hampton Row as my great grandfather was Harry Knight the proprietor of the pork butchers. There are a lot of mentions of other photographs on this thread, including one from Kieron from the midlands pubs website, which is of knights butchers, but this is now missing on the thread, and the link to the midlandspubs site does not work as they appear to be revamping the site. Can anyone re-post the photo or any others of Knights if they have it please. Many thanks. Also they moved to 37-39 Great Hampton Row so any photos would also be good. My grandfather Henry Francis Knight had a grocer's shop I think in the Glebe Farm area in the 30s and 40s - does anyone know of this or have pictures please as well. Cheers.
Oh yes, I must put this back online as soon as I can. You are right, there was some tinkering to be done!

Hi stitcher was your in law called Danny Mooney....father of Steve... I also was the licensee when it changed from the Minerva to the Great Hampton...

Hi Lyn,you may be right.I have read that it was on the corner of Gt Hampton Row and Tower St,although in the picture it does not seem to be on a corner.If Mike reads this maybe he can help.Moss
i'm sure the frontage of the building is still there,you can make out the brick window spaces and the entry,the pub lies back from the other buildings and is about a hundred yards up on the right from the LORD CLIFDEN towards Hockley flyover.

hello paul since those earlier posts research has been done on the vampire pub...there is a map on post 16 highlighting its position which was when gt hampton row went straight down..now it does a small turn to pick up gt hampton row...the vampire would have stood roughly where this car park is

lyn

Can’t see that these Grade II Listed Gate Piers in what is now St George Gardens, Great Hampton Row, have been mentioned yet. I think the gates have been removed. The 1905 published map shows they led to the graveyard and The Church of St George.

Description from Historic England...

348964D0-6BC3-465F-8300-63B020B08282.jpeg

1905 published map...

92191BB2-3496-4956-8DB8-ED377DBACFF7.jpeg

hi pedro yes those gates are no longer there.. ..there were 3 entrances to st georges...one on gt hampton row shown on your st view one on gt russell st and the other in tower st...the piers to all entrances are still there but only the gates to the entrance on the tower st side still remain...i took this photo in 2011...not been down there for a while must pay another visit soon..mom and dad married at st georges 1950 and my brother was baptised there in 1956...the architect of the church thomas rickman is buried in a tomb in the churchyard..

lynst geos church 011.JPGst geos church 088.JPG

here is the link for the st georges church thread...any further info info about the church can be posted there..thanks folks

What happened to those fine gates and the pillars? Should they have been moved and if so who moved them. The land owner (church?) or were they stolen?
Some fine trees there but they can easily be felled. Are there any plans to build here? That presumably would mean removal of those at rest.

H.Knight shop photographs.

Attachments

• 5BF13E31-15AA-4218-8F01-B7073DB5D867.jpeg
    5BF13E31-15AA-4218-8F01-B7073DB5D867.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 88988502-23C3-45BC-A780-153382780A22.jpeg
    88988502-23C3-45BC-A780-153382780A22.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 22
  • C1D9CE98-1D41-4D81-A299-C6D127DED215.jpeg
    C1D9CE98-1D41-4D81-A299-C6D127DED215.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
Maps

Attachments

• A9C66348-17EF-4536-9CDA-ACB37CE3F879.jpeg
    A9C66348-17EF-4536-9CDA-ACB37CE3F879.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 24
  • D4CDEC90-1281-490B-B1E3-C3BBDBC48BEC.jpeg
    D4CDEC90-1281-490B-B1E3-C3BBDBC48BEC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • A0AA2516-ECC1-4C3F-821F-8D16AE38ABE6.jpeg
    A0AA2516-ECC1-4C3F-821F-8D16AE38ABE6.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 24
Lyn
Wood & potters are 72 (in red), so the pub must be 70-71.

map_c_1955_showing_no_72_Great_Hampton_row.jpg
Thanks for sharing this map Lyn. My great aunt and uncle lived in Court 14 on Great Hampton Row from 1922 to 1938. I hadn't realised it was in Hockley which I have visited many times in recent years. I assume there is nothing left of the courts now?

thought i was imagining this sight today in gt hampton row...a very large king kong on a low loader o_O ...the building to the left is the newly refurbished gothic pub...it was pretty hectic around there so i decided not to ask any questions as to why it was parked there or where in gt hampton row it was going to be put or indeed where it had come from...

lyn

king kong gt hampton row.jpg

Back