• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Graham Webb

Thanks Jenny & Fred.

Fred isn't it amazing that my bike is still around after all these years! I bought it at Tommy Godwin's shop at Kings Heath in 1963 and used it for the Olympic trials at Welwyn Garden City to get into the 1964 British track team; I was on the Olympic short list. During the track trials I punctured twice, I was too poor to own spare wheels and no one would lend me a spare. Being unable to record a qualifying time that day I was left out of the British team for the Tokyo Olympics, I cried for a week!

By 1967 I was World and British champion the Cycling Federation begged me to stay amateur for the 1968 Mexico Olympics, I told them to “bugger off” saying that they shouldn't have left me at home in 1964! Revenge is so sweet.

Graham.

Graham,
With our newer cycling champs it looks like they do a bit of muscle tainning in the gym it wasn't that way in your day that i remember.

[Graham,
With our newer cycling champs it looks like they do a bit of muscle tainning in the gym it wasn't that way in your day that i remember.]

Well Fred it might surprise you to know that we did spend time in the gym but no one developed muscles anything like those riders of today; I wonder why?

Graham,
I didn't know that and their was me going out for a gentle ride with you no wonder i couldn't keep up lol

Graham,
I didn't know that and their was me going out for a gentle ride with you no wonder i couldn't keep up lol

Don't worry Fred there were thousands of other cyclists like you that couldn't keep up. lol
icon7.png

Latest news is that next month, October, the council where I live are going to decorate me (again) for putting their little Flemish village on the world map in this 'Cycling Weekly' reportage written by Chris Sidwells.

Now that the days are getting shorter and darker I have some more bright news. Some of you knew that my wife was very ill and I thank you all for your well wishes, I can now tell you that she seems to be slowly geeting better, Graham.

2043616530102465904S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:
hi gra..i am so pleased to read that your wife is making a steady improvement..please send her my very best wishes...and a hug...

lyn..

Fred, Lyn and all you other wonderful people, thank you for you well wishes. Things are looking a lot better now, Graham.

Congratulations on yet another award Graham and Best Wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery to good health.

Anthea.

Well done on another achievment Graham I hope your wife is on her way to recovery. xx

Jean, Athena & Wendy, thanks again, my wife is now improving in leaps and bounds. I've told her about all your well wishes but she still doesn't quite understand how the internet works. lol

Graham.

Jean, Athena & Wendy, thanks again, my wife is now improving in leaps and bounds. I've told her about all your well wishes but she still doesn't quite understand how the internet works. lol

Graham.
Hi Graham, glad to hear your good lady is on the way to good health once again, ever
heard of Vin Cox, a Derby man who has just gone into the Guinness Book for setting a new record for the 18,000
mile global trip. He finished in 163 days, six hours and 58 minutes, the previous time was 169 days. Take care now, Bernard

Bernard, thank you for your well wishes and my wife is still making progress.

No I'm sorry to say that I've never heard of Vin Cox. In my younger days I too have often dreamed of a round the world cycling trip but I've always felt that my family needs me here and that would be more of an ego trip than a world trip.
icon7.png
Graham.

hi gra..so pleased to hear that the wife continues to make steady progress....just the news we want to hear...

lyn...xx

hi gra..so pleased to hear that the wife continues to make steady progress....just the news we want to hear...

lyn...xx

Thanks again Lyn, we seem to be getting there but it's the same for everyone, the clock ticks against us. When we were young about once a year we'd have a bad day, now it's once a year that we have a good day!

I was just browsing the web and came across this interview but think I forgot to post a link on here; old age. For those that might not had read it and still like to; https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7807 Graham.

Just thinking about my last post I don't know if this was posted before; old age again. I'm putting this on as it does contain some Brum history, I'll post parts 2,3 and 4 later.

Interview: Graham Webb, 1967 World Champion
Part 1 -The Road to Heerlen
Phil Julian, who writes our Cyclingcrazy column, travelled to Belgium to meet Graham Webb, the 1967 World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion and now one of the first fifty people to be inducted into British Cycling's new Hall of Fame. In this, the first part of a four part interview, they talk about Graham's Childhood and his build up to the world championships.
Here in Britain, we've only had two male road race world champions. The story of Tom Simpson, the 1965 world professional road race champion, is well known and in the 40 years or so since his death he's become a part of the nation's sporting conscience, thanks to a number of books and films.
On a Saturday in September 1967, less than two months after Tom Simpson's death, an historic Great British double was achieved when Beryl Burton, who is just as well known and remembered as Tom, won the Women's World Road Championship, and an until recently forgotten Brummie, called Graham Webb, became the World Amateur Men's Road Champion at the age of 23.
Unlike Tom and Beryl, Graham is still around to tell his own story. He lives in Wachtebeke, East Flanders, where the locals, as you may have read recently read in Cycling Weekly, call him "Mister Graham Webb, Wereldkampioen" and think of him as a true Flandrien.
20091217-graham-webb-200b.jpg
I travelled to Belgium in late November and met Graham Webb on a very wet and grey afternoon, at his home some 15 kilometres or so north of Ghent. Sixty-five years old, and fresh from a boisterous late night out ‘on the tiles' at the Ghent Six Day, with family and friends from Wachtebeke, he was able to recall a remarkable amount about ‘his' day in 1967 and how he got there.
Right: Graham, pictured in 1967 (Image: PA)
Graham began by recounting his austere childhood. The youngest of five siblings (three boys, two girls) brought up solely by his widowed mother at first and then with the help of a stepfather, whose main contribution was a Victorian disciplinary regime, he was a sickly child. Riding a beat up bike to Gloucester and back was the pre-teen's way of escaping his poor Sparkbrook home. He loved riding his bike; he loved the temporary relief it gave him from his stepfather-dominated homelife; and the clean air that filled his lungs. Riding his bike inspired him in an otherwise spartan, industrialised, and grey post-war Brum.
Graham then turned to the events of 1967. The week-end before that worlds road race in Heerlen, Holland, he was contesting the individual pursuit as a member of the GB Team at the Track Worlds in Amsterdam, although the term ‘Team' seems a bit wide of the mark.
Graham explains, "Like any good roadman then, I could ride a good pursuit or time trial but the atmosphere in the GB Track ‘Team' was grim. It was a group of individuals whose main object seemed to be to beat each other rather than the rest of the world."
Missing out on the final stages of the pursuit by a mere three hundredths of a second, his attention turned to the following week's world championship road race which he was to ride with team mates, including Les West and the late Peter Buckley. In truth his attention had turned to the road race months before. Having moved to Holland, racing and winning regularly on the road through the spring of '67, an old Dutch pro who had been following his progress had told him that his future lay on the road.
Graham takes up the story. "Back home in Britain, I'd always been regarded as a trackman or time triallist so I got pigeon-holed if you like as far as riding for GB was concerned. Anyhow, I wrote to the BCF to ask if I could get on the road team for the worlds. I got the reply that first I had to ride the Birmingham Divvy Champs and if I qualified from there, I had to ride the national champs to stand a chance of selection".
20091217-graham-webb-hour-certificate.jpg
The reigning British 10 mile, 25 mile, and hour track record holder was relieved of the obligation to ride ‘the divvies' by Birmingham race organiser Bill McCormack.
"Bill was a smashing bloke, he said "don't waste any time coming back, keep racing in Holland and I'll put your entry in for the Nationals". Sure enough he did and I came over for the championship on the ‘Gunn Hill' circuit in Les West country. Les took one look at my gears and reckoned I'd never get over Gunn Hill but on riding it I couldn't see what the fuss was about. In the race Les went off on his own early on, then Pete Buckley went after him. It got to the last time up Gunn Hill and I decided to go after the pair of them to get third and automatic selection - job done".
Right: Graham's Hour record certificate from 1966 - set outdoor on a far from perfect 508m concrete track

Riding the track worlds meant that he couldn't prepare with the road team, which was managed by Chas Messenger. They were riding a Dutch stage race in the days leading up to the race. Graham thrived on miles and more miles and he needed hard miles that only racing could give him. After failing to qualify for the pursuit finals it was Albert Beurick, the great (affectionately referred to by those he supported as ‘Fat Albert') Belgian advocate of Brits abroad, trying to carve out a career on a bike, who came to his aid. Beurick, who had been so close to Tom Simpson and a number of other riders was still reeling from Tom's death. He was perhaps as dependant on the Brits that he helped as they were on him. Anyhow, that night, he took Graham back to Ghent with the promise of some hard Belgian racing. Sadly, Albert died last week, a passing which has been marked with many heartfelt tributes, both in the UK and on the continent.
Graham remembers being uptight about getting enough training. As soon as he had dumped his gear that night, at the ‘Velotel Tom Simpson', a hotel for bike riders in the Destelbergen suburb of Ghent, he went out in thick fog, training on roads he didn't know. The next day, at Wetteren, in a 150 km race, on a 4 km circuit, he attacked from the gun and won, lapping the field twice.
"Next day, it was the same again, a 150 km race at Mariakerke, but this time against a better field of Belgians. I went from the gun but I jumped off on the last lap and hid behind a wall to let the rest go past. A British newcomer, I didn't want to rub anyone's noses in it! I was content with my ‘training ride' and to this day Willy DeBosscher who rode that day (an old pro known to Brits for his comedy antics at the Skol Six) still thinks I won that race".
Two days before the world championship race, Graham set off on his bike for the GB team hotel at Aachen, Germany - a mere 300 kilometres away. There he met up with his road teammates, who turned out to be totally different to the track ‘team'; this was a group of lads intent on having some fun on the way. He acknowledges that as a group they were a bit ‘boisterous' but he remembers that manager, the late Chas Messenger, promoted a relaxed atmosphere.
"Chas was a gentleman. He was good to me even though I was told he'd said , ‘I don't want no trackie in my road team.' There was no race plan. Chas let us decide what was what. We all got on well; ‘lets see how it all unfolds' was the approach".
In Part 2 We'll find out just how hard Graham had to work to claim the World title and how some of his dare-devil childhood cycling helped him win.

As promissed Part 2, for those that haven't seen it. The video clip on this page wont download but you can still see it here; https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=FA7YLJSaMaE

Part 2 - Turning the Corner
Phil Julian, who writes our Cyclingcrazy column, travelled to Belgium to meet Graham Webb, the 1967 World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion and now one of the first fifty people to be inducted into British Cycling's new Hall of Fame. In this, the second part of a four part interview, they talk about the race in which Graham claimed that magical world title.

"It was grey when we lined up at the start. I reckoned that there must have been almost 300 riders. We were gridded, like in motor racing and GB were right at the back. I remember saying to Derek Harrison, I think it was, that if it rained he would puncture" (Harrison was riding very light tyres and in the five minutes that it did rain during the race, guess what!).

"I said to the lads, ‘look, we've got to go flat out from the gun or we'll never get in this race'. I went absolutely full gas and it took me nearly four kilometres to get to the front. When I got there, I just kept hammering away. The race went up this long straight climb 15 times. I think they use the same climb in the Amstel Gold. Anyhow, after the third time up, I was still at the front and there were only 13 of us left at the head of the race".
The front group swelled to 15 when Belgians, Roger DeVlaeminck (winner of Paris-Roubaix four times winner) and the late Jean Pierre Monsere (amateur silver medallist in 1969 and world professional road champion a year later, aged 22, Leicester, who was to die tragically, racing, in 1971) came across after a frantic chase. The break also included Rene Pijnen (the great Dutch six day rider), Klaus Ampler from East Germany, Frenchman Guyot and Conti, an Italian.
With three or four of the fourteen kilometres laps to go, looking back down the long straight climb, he spotted a GB jersey in the remnants of the bunch - it was Peter Buckley. Graham eased up and shouted to Buckley to get on his wheel and back they went up to the break. But when they got back on, with Buckley unable to come through, they found the situation at the front had changed.

"Monsere, Conti, Ampler and Pijnen had gone off up the road. DeVlaeminck and the one or two Dutch weren't going to chase their teammates and Pete Buckley couldn't contribute much. I thought ‘right, all or nothing, if I can get to the bottom of the climb last time with a bridgeable gap Conti, the Frenchman and a couple of the others perhaps will jump and I can use them.' The four still had a minute on us at the bell with about 14 kilometres of the 200 kilometres race to go. As far as I was concerned, I still had a chance".

He still had good legs, better he believed, than those of the riders around him. With no communication from the team since the start and having survived on just two bottles of water and a banana (he saved one bottle for the last lap) this was it! 14 kilometres or twenty minutes that would change his life?

"I just had to get on with it and believe. I did 7 kilometres on the front to get our group to the bottom of the last climb and a bridgeable gap. The wind was coming from the right and I was in the right hand gutter so the others were going to have to use some energy too. Sure enough,h others in the group saw their chance now and jumped to get across. I hung on following a wheel except I had tried so hard I was seeing three wheels! I believed if I could recover as we went over the top with 3 kilometres to go, then I could really think about winning".
Graham had a plan, genesis of which could be traced back to his impoverished yet adventurous childhood: as a kid in Birmingham he would test himself on sharp downhill corners. He had an old fixed wheel version of a cycle speedway bike with a huge chainring and turned cowhorn bars. Graham remembers it producing a position not unlike the superman of more recent history. He'd keep trying to corner quicker until he lost it. He would sprint along city streets, behind buses and lorries. An old childhood mate told Graham just recently that his mother had spotted him doing this. She'd warned her son "not to ride his bike like that mad Webb boy!" Thanks to this childhood "training", Graham believed that no-one could corner as quick as him. For him, it was time to put that skill to good use. The race was going to come down to one corner, one and a half kilometres from the finish of the 1967 World Championship.
"On every lap before, we had taken the corner as you'd expect, approach from the right hand gutter and cut across the apex, accelerate out. But I knew if I went into it from the left, tight, then there was a chance by cutting the distance and the rest looking at me, hesitating, as if I was crazy taking the wrong line, that I could get a gap."
And that's exactly what happened: "I kicked like a mule out of the corner. I knew that I mustn't get up out of the saddle because that would have been like a red rag to a bull. I took the speed up without appearing to, looked under my left elbow and saw no wheels. I knew I could win now". He was just one and a half minutes away from being on top of the world .

"There was a fast downhill left hander and then a right to join the motorway run- in to the finish. I must have been doing almost 50 miles an hour into the right hander which was brick paved to give cars more grip - except it didn't work for narrow, hard bike tyres and the back wheel skipped across. I thought ‘just get round this without falling on your head Graham and you're going to be World Champion.' I never looked back, went full gas and won by three seconds. Roger DeVlaeminck who was desperate to win that day and who still wants to win even now every time he gets on a bike, said I was lucky that they let me go away. I replied, ‘Roger, you just couldn't live with me at that speed'. None of them could that day."

20091217-graham-webb-worlds-certificate.jpg
Nowadays, the winner falls into the arms of a soigneur with a sponge and a towel, is hugged and congratulated by teammates who have helped, and confronted by a wall of photographersand other media. On this Saturday afternoon, all those years ago, it wasn't quite like that.
Right: Graham's World Champion certificate from the UCI
"I just freewheeled down the straight. I knew that I was champion but now quite quickly I realised what I'd taken out of myself. I kept on to the GB pits. I was desperate just to sit down quietly on a chair and recover. I found a chair alright, but only just before Beryl Burton found me. Beryl went mad with happiness for me. She was jumping up and down on top of me, ecstatic. I was struggling to breathe. Then this huge Dutch TV Camera appeared and before I knew it I was being interviewed in English by the Dutch presenter, with me, this Englishman from Brum, answering in Dutch. The fellow took a few questions to cotton on before asking me in Dutch if I'd prefer doing it in English, ha"!
He made his way to the podium through massive crowds with an army of police around him. He shared his podium with the Frenchman, Claude Guyot (silver) and the great Dutchman, Rene Pijnen (bronze); but the sweetest moment of all was that Cycling magazine had run a coach trip to the race and on that coach was his mother, who was lifted onto the podium so she could be with him:"She'd brought me up on nothing and now she was there to share this".
Youtube Video - including some remarkable footage of Graham's winning ride

Footnote: I first met Graham in the track centre at Ghent, it must be ten years ago or more and we shared a beer with a mutual friend. I thought then, even amongst all the noise that is the Ghent Six Day, how calm, quietly spoken and tranquil he was. Ten years on, during our afternoon's conversation at his home, I was struck by his complete lack of any arrogance. I believed him completely when, in spite of the disappointments which were to come in 1968 and 1969, when he should have achieved so much more, he insists that he has had and is still having, a wonderful life, with no regrets.

In part three, we'll look at just what did and didn't happen in 68 & 69, discover an explanation of his extraordinary physical capacity and get some advice for any rider who is keen to ride better. I must however give Graham Webb, 1967 World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion, the last word, for the time being.

"I'd always had this belief since I was a kid, riding my bike around the streets of Birmingham, before I even knew about racing, that one day I could beat the world riding my bike".

Graham,
It still looks the best to me after all these years you were a powerful wepon in the cycling world.

Graham,
It still looks the best to me after all these years you were a powerful wepon in the cycling world.

Thanks Fred you're my biggest fan. Here is Part 3.

Part 3 - The Rocky Road of Pro Road Racing
Interview Part 1 | Interview Part 2 | Interview Part 4

Phil Julian, who writes our Cyclingcrazy column, travelled to Belgium to meet Graham Webb, the 1967 World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion and one of the first fifty people to be inducted into British Cycling's new Hall of Fame. In this, the penultimate part of our four part interview, we hear how Graham's progression into the pro ranks, which had promised so much, was to end in disappointment.
As we've already heard in part 2 of this interview, Great Britain's Graham Webb became World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion on one Saturday afternoon in September 1967. That day, Graham had one bike - built and given to him by a Dutch bike shop owner - one pair of wheels and one helluva lot of talent. After the race, ridden in his one GB Jersey "which was about five sizes too big and looked like a mini-skirt on the podium" he enjoyed one glass of champagne back at the team hotel in Aachen: "The BCF bought two bottles", he tells me smiling, but with a hint of dissatisfaction.
20091228-webb-gent-6.jpg

Above: Graham, fourth from left, at the 1967 Ghent 6.
Graduation to a pro career on the road was the natural way of things then for the top amateur riders, just as it is now for the top ‘espoirs'. For Graham, there were the end of season ‘appearances' to show off his rainbow jersey; the Ghent Amateur Six Day, which he won; an appearance at London's Skol Six; and the quiet negotiations with potential sponsors.
In 1968 he duly joined the professional peloton and moved from Holland to Ghent. "It was the centre of all things cycling back then, there were other Brits and English speakers, and there was the support of Albert Beurick's family and contacts".
We think of sports science and physiological testing as a modern development, but whilst that maybe largely true when it comes to "measuring" training, even back in the late sixties, sponsors were looking for some scientific re-assurance that their man could get the job done. Curiously, it was only after he had signed for the Mercier-BP-Hutchinson team that Graham was sent for testing at the University Hospital Clinic in Ghent.
"The first part of testing was to measure my lung capacity. I had to blow into this tube after taking a deep breath. So that's just what I did" Graham says: he blew hard and sent two pistons on their journey up vertical measuring cylinders.....and clean out of the top! "The technician laid into me for blowing too hard but I thought that was what the test was about. She ordered me to do it again, this time blowing out hard but slowly, and again I sent the pistons clean out of the top of the machine".
Graham describes the situation with a smile. The agitated technician, her weight now bearing down on the top of the machine, gave him a third and final opportunity to do the test but she still couldn't prevent him from blowing beyond the machine's limit. What happened next? "She telephoned Eddy Merckx's doctor and told him about this Brit who had bust the lung machine, hah". Graham Webb's measured lung capacity of 9.2 Litres offers an insight into his exceptional cycling powers - five time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain's was ‘just' 8 litres!
20091228-webb-mercier-250.jpg
The second test, a Maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) test, used an ergometer bike, similar to the sort of machine used by many teams today. Graham was wired for his pulse rate, and his breathing was analysed and monitored as the resistance on the machine was turned up. He had waited patiently as a French professional had ridden himself to a standstill tackling level 3 on the machine. Graham began his test and was still pressing on when he asked the technician to turn up the resistance level once more. But he was already at level 5 and there were no more levels!
Right: a smiling Graham Webb in a Mercier publicity shot - the smile and his relationship with the team would soon be gone!
Confident in his own ability and enjoying the scientific confirmation of his physical powers, he set off for Sardinia's quiet roads and warm weather, escaping the northern European winter, just as Tom Simpson had done before him. "It was to be a big year for me. I wanted the condition for the early season south of France ‘training' races to prepare for the Spring Classics". Once again, it appears that in the 40 years since Graham's time, ‘plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose' when it comes to the professional roadman's requirements today.
His progress in Sardinia was undone by a national strike that was to prevent him leaving the island in time to ride the southern ‘training' races at the end of January 1968 and when he did leave for the long drive north his luck didn't improve! The outcome of a brief coffee stop in Turin was the theft of his Mercier bike and all his gear from his car. "Everything was pinched, even my cycling shoes: in those days a pair would take a year or so to break in, you had to get the plates set just right, it was a delicate thing but now it all had to be sorted in a few days".
He continued home to Ghent, intent on riding the opening spring classic ‘Het Volk' across the cobbled roads of Flanders, on his second brand new Mercier team bike. "The Mercier bikes were a joke; I got home and went out on this ‘new' bike and within minutes it was falling to bits". Graham described how the tubing was coming away from the lugs; the steel frame hadn't been brazed, merely glued! "It was deliberate sabotage as far as I was concerned. Even the rubberised toe-straps were no use at all. On the first of the cobbled climbs in Het Volk I just couldn't keep my foot in the pedals because of the useless straps". The World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion and Mercier-BP-Hutchinson professional was going to have to buy his own Alfredo Binda leather toe-straps just to be able to ride, let alone win!
The next day he would have another chance in Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne but things were again about to get worse when acute knee pain forced him to abandon the race. Perhaps prompted by earlier events - in Mercier's Paris shop when he had observed the team mechanic surprisingly replacing pedal axles in brand new pedals - he went to the Dossche Sport shop in Ghent to get the help of Eddy Merckx's late mentor, Marcel Ryckaert. "I could trust Marcel, he was a retired Belgian champion and close to Eddy. He spun the pedals up with his tools and sure enough one axle was bent, on a brand new pedal. This was the cause of my knee problem".
It was now little more than a week to Paris-Nice, a big race for a big French team like Mercier. When Antonin Magne had signed Graham Webb to Mercier for 1968 he had told Graham that he could decide his own race programme and that he would not have to ride in the service of others. Graham would be riding the classics to win. Assured by his doctor and soigneur that they could get his knee right in time, he started in Paris but knew almost straight away in the prologue that it was no good.
"I went looking for a massage in the team hotel, anything really to try and improve the condition of the knee to enable me to continue. I was pointed in the direction of the right room to find team mates Raymond Poulidor lying on the bed getting his massage with Jean Stablinski sat beside him, leaning forward like a priest hearing confession! They looked at me and one of them said ‘What do you want here?' and I said that I'd come for a massage. They said ‘This is only for racing cyclists!' this at a time when I was still the world champion. It was if I was just a piece of s***. I don't think it would happen now in a team to a rider injured and needing a massage".
Clearly there were those on the Mercier team who didn't want Graham there and certainly didn't want him to win. He went home to Ghent barely able to walk. With rest and treatment the knee gradually started to get better and he started training again with fellow professional Vin Denson, re-building his fitness and form. The money had long stopped from Mercier. He'd had no pay since the end of February and despite three wins and a third in Belgium he received a letter from Magne ending his contract. The frustration of his injury and mounting debts created personal difficulties in his marriage and Graham's wife and young son returned home to England. They didn't come back.
He signed for the rather oddly named Pull Over Centrale - Tasmania team for 1969. Despite the title they were Belgian owned and managed. "They were no better at paying up than Mercier. I wasn't prepared for the way professional cycling appeared to operate. These weren't the stories I'd read in the comic, the talk of big money, how glorious it was to be a pro. The truth is most pros relied on handouts from their team leaders, the few stars that did earn real money. I had no family here, no supporters club in the town, no hard working wife, all paying in to keep their ‘pro' riders going. I thought then that it was a coward's way of living; living off the patronage of others because they weren't good enough to win and earn themselves - I still think that now".
He took Mercier to court over unpaid earnings, though he knew that he would never get another ride on a French team as a result. But he couldn't live on fresh air. He did win his case against Antonin Magne's team and they were forced to pay up but by the time he got his money another year had passed and Graham had turned his back on the world of professional cycling.
Next time: In the final part of our conversation with Graham Webb, Great Britain's 1967 World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion; we learn about some of the characters that helped him on and off the bike; get some thoughts on coaching; and learn of his enthusiasm for a current British star.

And finally Part 4. Sorry to those that have seen this before on the British Cycling website.

Part 4 - The Musings of Former Champion

Interview Part 1 | Interview Part 2 | Interview Part 3

Phil Julian, who writes our Cyclingcrazy column, travelled to Belgium to interview Graham Webb, the 1967 World Amateur Men's Road Race Champion. In the final part of our serialisation of the interview, Graham looks back at his first forays in to racing, offers some advice to aspiring racers and tells us of his admiration for a star of today.
20100104-webb-today-550.jpg

Graham today - retired after 31 years as a crane driver in Belgium
When, as a street-wise kid Graham Webb sprinted millimetres from the back of Birmingham City buses he was ‘excited by the gob-smacked faces of the passengers' looking back at him. He imagined that the people in the streets were ‘his crowd'. They'd come to see him ride faster than anyone or anything else around him. On an old clunker of a bike he would catch club riders and drop them, as barely into his teens, he went on his Birmingham to Gloucester and back hard riding adventures.
"When I was sixteen I started riding with the local CTC. They were a good bunch but they didn't go quick enough for me. I was full of energy. I worked at the BSA motorbike factory, sometimes for 16 hours a day. I saw a young chap at work one day with a proper racing wheel, doing some repair. We got chatting and he suggested that I should go with him to the Solihull Clubroom, and that I should have a go at a time trial".
Graham remembers how he sat on the fringes of this cycling club gathering, not daring to speak, not even having the money to pay the club subs. Does this sort of experience sound familiar? He entered the Club 25, turned up, thought everyone started together; started late; caught other riders not understanding that he wasn't supposed to wait for them and got told to b****r off by one; jammed his chain between sprocket and frame and had to stop and still did the fastest actual time! For the next event, the word had got around. There was a sizeable crowd to watch ‘this local kid trounce the club stars, in cut-off jeans and plimsolls'. He didn't disappoint.
Road Racing beckoned and the next year, in 1962, as a junior, he dominated the local Birmingham scene with a certain Derek Harrison. Whilst Tommy Godwin supported both these talented juniors from his Silver Street, Kings Heath bike shop, Derek was Tommy's favourite. "It was awkward for Tommy really. I really was his poorest customer so he couldn't do me obvious favours when other kids' parents were spending a lot more money in the shop".
20100104-webb-ghent-1988.jpg

Graham made a brief and successful comeback on the track in Belgium in 1988, winning the national amateur Madison title
Tommy recognised his talent and determination and whilst Graham says "I never had a coach", he did listen well to the former Olympic medallist's advice. Tommy had won a Team Pursuit Bronze and a Kilo Bronze at the 1948 Olympics in London and his mentorship of Graham included the supply of road and track bikes but even more importantly the encouragement and plan to successfully attack the British Hour Record on the 11 July 1966 at Salford Park. It came at a crucial time for Graham.
"The year before, I came home from work one afternoon and found my stepfather dead. I found myself reflecting on our relationship for a long time. I still rode, still trained and I still won lots, but somehow all of a sudden in the months after his death, cycling didn't seem to mean as much. I discovered other things in life like parties, having a drink, girls. It's not like I went mad but in cycling terms I lost some motivation. Tommy could see what was happening and tempted me back full on, for the hour record attempt. Without the encouragement and support of people like Tommy Godwin and Albert Beurick, there would have been no Graham Webb World Champion".
So whilst not needing a ‘coach', it didn't stop him asking people who he thought could help him, for advice. "Other riders told me about Eddie Soens who worked in a hospital in Liverpool, I thought he was a doctor or a nurse but it turned out that he worked there as a French Polisher. I went from Birmingham to Liverpool on my Lambretta (I was a mod!) to see Eddie. He used to get these old bladder bellows from the operating theatres at the hospital, they used to expand and contract to aid breathing under anaesthetic I believe. Anyhow, Eddie told me to take it home and the idea was to take a deep breath, breathe out hard into the bladder, then pinch it with your finger and thumb, then go again until you made it hard. When I tried it, of course I filled it up in less than one breath. I phoned Eddie and told him but he either thought I was daft or hadn't got a clue ‘cos he just told me to blow harder".
Graham clearly believes that sourcing sound, well informed advice is a crucial aid for the aspiring cyclist: "Find someone who has already been there and done it, someone who's already enjoyed success. Watch, listen and learn from them. With their help search for your own limit". And Graham wasn't just on the receiving end of good advice: a 14 years old Birmingham schoolboy called Mick Bennett, who went on to be Olympic Team Pursuit Bronze medallist in both 1972 and 1976 and, more recently Tour of Britain and Tour Series race director, knocked on the door of the young Graham for the same reason.
Today Graham clearly remains in love with the sport and maintains his Great British cycling links by helping League of Veteran Racing Cyclists in their age related international racing adventures. A student of current GB success but not averse to dishing out some prodding criticism, he is a devout Cavendish fan: "Mark Cavendish is a truly outstanding bike rider. He's determined, aggressive and passionate. He has that self- belief that you need to be a champion. I think he could go on to win all the sprinters' classics and more, many times over. For me he's probably going to be the next British Men's World Road Race Champion. Nothing in cycling would give me more pleasure".
Forty years on from his unfulfilled and premature retirement as a professional cyclist he's retired again, this time from his job as a crane driver at a local steelworks after 31 years. He's still riding his bike with the locals but no crazy cornering and descending at the limit now, following major vascular surgery and his subsequent reliance on blood thinning medication.
He is enjoying a long and happy marriage to local girl Marie-Rose, and has his four stepdaughters and a daughter by their marriage. They have several grandchildren. "A couple of the boys ride" he says.
Their daughter's lung capacity was measured when she went for a job locally, something the company checked for all potential employees. Graham says, "Our daughter had never done any sport seriously but they measured her lung capacity at over 9 litres! It must be in the genes".
So here's a thought to ponder: what if you grow up in the Flemish cycling heartland; your mum's got more lung capacity than Miguel Indurain; your grand dad's got even more lung capacity than your mum and, oh yes, grand dad was, on a long forgotten Saturday afternoon back in September 1967, the World Amateur Men's Road Race Cycling Champion.
There just might be a story there in a few years time!

Graham,
Knowing your determination and strength if you were a young men cycling today you would be a top man and showing them how to do it WIN.

Graham I throughly enjoyed your posts, but tell me where your black pumps the old 60's style we used to where at school in the early 60's. Made a change from turn down wellis? I had many pulling days in my old black pumps!!

Graham I throughly enjoyed your posts, but tell me where your black pumps the old 60's style we used to where at school in the early 60's. Made a change from turn down wellis? I had many pulling days in my old black pumps!!

Bob Thanks for reading my postings.

I can't really remember what I had on my feet at the beginning of the 60's never had any money for decent "pulling" shoes as all my money went on cycle stuff, the racing shoes were very expensive. In fact when I did start 'going out' I had to borrow cloths from my cousin Frederick and I would put my cycling shoes on as they were my most expensive, with steel plates in the soles they were perfect for twisting in! Without thinking about it I started a new fashion in shoes as all the 'Mods' started wearing cycling shoes, this on top of the fashion that I had already launched at the Silver Blades, wearing bright coloured striped cycle racing jerseys. The first pair of 'posh' shoes that I bought was from the Army & Navy shop on the Stratford Road. They were made in China, looked and smelt of black leather but when it rained they melted and fell to bits! They were made of cardboard.

By the time I bought my first second hand Lambretta LI 150 scooter, £30, I was earning enough to buy some "pulling" shoes and they were in line with that era, Hush Puppy Beatle boots.

Graham.

Extremely interesting Graham, you desereve all the reognition and fame because you earned it with your ability and dogged determination. Very well done, it was people with your attitude and perseverance that made this country great.

View attachment 60027

Extremely interesting Graham, you desereve all the reognition and fame because you earned it with your ability and dogged determination. Very well done, it was people with your attitude and perseverance that made this country great.

Thanks Trev, its people like you that make life so worthwhile!

Latest news; more honours or me and Brum.

On Saturday the 27th August, 2011, at The National Cycling Centre in Manchester a plaque bearing my name will be unveiled in the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately as I was only informed this week I can't be there in person as my wife is still not very well and in such a short time I can't arrange good enough care for her. I'm hoping that there'll be some photos of the event, Graham.
2118011480102465904S425x425Q85.jpg

oh well done gra...at long last but sorry you cant be there yourself...hopefully there will be some photos taken of the event....

lyn...xxx

Back