• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Ernie

The Raven wasn't the best place in the world to stand outside of as a ten year old , with a glass of lemonade and a bag of Smiths crisps. It wasn't like todays pubs where the kids just walk in and sit down. I will say one thing for today, its much safer for the kids.

Phil

you,re so knowledgeable of our area, i thought you were still in the brum area.
and the very last thing i would do is offend anyone,on this site.
if i have you i sincerely apologize. regards Derek.

Phil. No STREET was safe way back then, and things probably have not changed .
PLEASE delete this if necessary.

in the late 50s 60s i used to stand outside the monkey house cato st and the other pub i cant remember opposite devon st on duddeton mill road

Ernie

I think there is more to worry about on the streets today, I wouldn't like to even start listing what risks our kids face today that weren't there years back. Whatever we have gained by better housing, cleaner environs, and better health care etc. Take into account the increased dangers on the road, the ever present attraction of drugs, the ever present risk of perverts in our churches and schools, and then there is the street warfare. We have more than lost out in the balance.

Phil

Colin

Re post #811, I used to use the Vic occasionally, didn't the landlord in the mid 60's have a collection of matchboxes behing the bar. People used to bring them in to him when they came back off holiday.

Phil

DuddestonMillInkermanStVictoriaInn-1.jpg

Does anyone, and i think i can remember this correctly,
a couple i think husband a wife, that had a stand on the corner of
Dartmouth st and grt Lister st selling,the evening dispatch and the b.ham mail. It must of been good trade for the delta and other passing trade from serounding factories as we all know there were many.
then they would walk down grt Lister st and i remember the lady mostly shouting pach-a mail, i think she would go into a few pubs on the way down,
to where i would get a paper for me dad to read when he got home,at the top of Cromwell st,you could smell that she had a drink or three nice lady rough and ready bit scary to a youngster, till you got older. happy days.
regards dereklcg.

Last edited:
Derek. I remember someone selling Newspapers across the road from the Raven, cannot say if it was a man or woman, I thought that years ago it was a good pitch for the Delta Metal Company. There was a man with the nickname of "Blackbat" used to sell around the streets ( Sports newspapers ?) Everyone knew him, I think there was something in the local newspapers years ago when he died.

Yes ger22 the one on the corner of inkerman st opposite devon st and there was a grocers just up from it called swifts

Hi Pmc
I was never allowed in the pub but there was a little off licence on the main road but you couldnt look through to the bar or i was to small to see

Hi colin

You say you weren't allowed in the Vic,

Does that make you younger than me or did you just move out of the area at a young age. I note on another thread that you say you lived in Dollman St. I lived in Inkerman St down by the Railway club for a while from about 1963 to 65 after we moved out of Francis St. My parents stayed there until they demolished the street. Our house was about where the back end of the museum stores are now.

Phil

Hi
yep i lived in dollman st from 66 till they knocked them down . I went devon st school then on to vauxhall gardens then duddeston manor for 1 year

Colin

Where was Vauxhall Gardens, thats a new one on me. There again I went to St Vincents for most of my schooldays that I spent in Nechells, and that was only to the end of junior school. Then I went to senior school in another district. Consequently I know very little about the schools in Nechells.

Phil

Nechells and surrounding area for all its slum dwellings had more than its share of large houses. To name but a few,

Saltley Hall also known as Jenkins Farm just adjacent to Hall Rd in the location of St Saviors.

Nechells Manor House near the corner of Chattaway St and Cook St between Long Acre and Nechells Park Rd.

Duddeston House built by Samuel Galton in 1777 and later became an asylum and even later was utilised as St Anne’s School.

Ashted House on the corner of Ashted Row an old Georgian type house same as many in that road and was built in 1790.

William Hutton’s house at Bennetts Hill built in 1791 , Hutton was Birmingham’s first historian and his house was attacked and damaged in the Church & King riots.

Like many of these old house most of them are now gone, mostly due to willful neglect not by the original owners who had long since sold them on and moved to greener pastures as these areas became more urbanised. No the damage was done by developers or the City Council who often due to their listed status just fenced them off and left them to fall down.

Please forgive me if I have the location of any of these houses wrong, but some are hard to track down.

Phil

SaltleySaltleyHall-1.jpg
NechellsNechellsManorHouseChattawayStByCookSt.jpg

NechellsDudestonHouse.jpg
NechellsAshtedHousebuilt1790.jpg

SaltleyBennettsHillHouseWilliamHuttonsHouse.jpg

Hi phil
Vauxhall gardens was the annex behind duddeston manor . but our main school was opposite the co op dairy next to reversby walk
colin

Hi Phil just a little question when i went to devon street in the early 1960 we called devon st primary is this the same school as st annes

is that the location of were duddeston manor was built ot further up towards the white tower public house

Colin

As daft as it seems, there were two Duddeston Manor's one where the Co op Dairy stood / stands, and one off Duddeston Manor Rd which is the one I think they later changed the name to Duddeston "House" to avoid confusion.

Now I think Devon Street School was the same as St Annes which was housed in Duddeston House the operative word being "think"

Phil

hi,was devon st school on the left going up devon st,the same place 211 st annes scout group was?
pete

Hi Colin

I know all about Vauxhall Gardens the Victorian/ Edwardian Pleasure Gardens, but its Vauxhall Gardens school that has got me baffled. The only school I can remember off Vauxhall Rd is my old school St Vincents down Vauxhall Rd.

It seems I didn't know the area as well as I thought I did, either that or I have lost it somewhere in this befuddled brain of mine.

Phil.

hi phil
do you remeber were the bike sheds were for dudeston manor behind the woodworl class well that is were vauxhall gardens was. it was called the annex i went there staight from devon street school. every monday we had to attend the main school . which was located opposite the catholic school next the coop dairy. in 1974 i think duddeston manor took over vauxhall gardens as a part of there school

colin

Back