• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golden Hillock Road School

Hello folks. Does anyone remember a teacher called Barry Bowker from the 1970's and 80's. He was head of lower school and had a back injury caused by someone pulling a chair out from under him when he was sitting down as a young man.
I remember Mr. Bowker ( with a slight bend in his back ) as deputy head under Mr. Parsons who I believe originated from S. Africa. I remember Mr Parsons being extremely strict and a tough disciplinarian who did not suffer fools or any nonsense! The school under , Mr. Parsons, was well run and a very successful school.

I studied at Golden Hillock Comprehensive from Jan 1970 to July 1975.

Yes I remember Barry Bowker as Deputy Head under Mr Parsons but at the same time do you remember the following - Mr Travers, Mr Timmins, Mr Flowers, Mr Brisco, Mr Heardman, Mr Dennis Watts ? That was the days !!!!!!

Yes I remember Barry Bowker as Deputy Head under Mr Parsons but at the same time do you remember the following - Mr Travers, Mr Timmins, Mr Flowers, Mr Brisco, Mr Heardman, Mr Dennis Watts ? That was the days !!!!!!
Yes I do! Mr Brisco ( Woodwork) , Mr. Watts ( Metalwork).

Also remember Mr Littlefoot ( PE) , Mr. Langley ( my English teacher in class 3Q where I used to sit next to Terry "Astro" Wilson from UB40 :) and Michael Virtue ( UB40 Keyboardist) was in the next door class :)

Mr. Heardman rings a bell - was he a PE teacher?

I remember Mr Matthews who used to take Cricket classes - I think he also smoked heavily?

I also remember Mr. Jones our Math's teacher who did not suffer fools gladly!

The twins Terry and Tony Wragg are my cousins.and both still live locally..My final year at golden hillock was 1962.form 4b...my form teacher was Mr Simkins .Some of my classmates that I can remember ..Keven Parry..Melvin Sollors...Teddy Matthews..I often wonder what became of them..

The twins Terry and Tony Wragg are my cousins.and both still live locally..My final year at golden hillock was 1962.form 4b...my form teacher was Mr Simkins .Some of my classmates that I can remember ..Keven Parry..Melvin Sollors...Teddy Matthews..I often wonder what became of them..
My regards to Terry and Tony - I do hope they are keeping well :)

Some of the classmates of 2V in 1970 :

Kenneth Denny, Dilip Mistry, Rasila Kukadia, Kevin McDonough (?), Paul Burbage.
Racking my brain for the rest of my classmates and my form tutor's names who I remember smoked a pipe.

Yes I do! Mr Brisco ( Woodwork) , Mr. Watts ( Metalwork).

Also remember Mr Littlefoot ( PE) , Mr. Langley ( my English teacher in class 3Q where I used to sit next to Terry "Astro" Wilson from UB40 :) and Michael Virtue ( UB40 Keyboardist) was in the next door class :)

Mr. Heardman rings a bell - was he a PE teacher?
Mr Heardman was the deputy head at one point

Do they still live in Birmingham and are they married ? would love to know as we used to be good mates right from infants school I will post a picture of us if i can find it. Do they right on this forum ? Paul

yep Mr Langley that used to throw Chalk or The Board Rubber at people that was not taking notice of him !!!!!
The very same! Mr Langley was an accomplished voice actor too who voiced Shylock when we were reading The Merchant Of Venice. :)

Last edited:
I did see occasionally
The very same! Mr Langley was an accomplished voice actor too who voiced Shylock when we were reading The Merchant Of Venice. :)
Yes I FORGOT THAT !!! I remember when he took some of us (inc Linda Shaw)who i married 47 years ago today to see it

Do you remember Mr Scott the previous PE Teacher ?
I remember Mr Scott. He was Third year Form teacher as well as a PE teacher in about 1966. Could not pronounce my name correctly but at least he tried. Always found him fair and seemed to command respect from all.

Last edited:
View attachment 92532They must have had some talent there in 1953and probably a good sports teacher
View attachment 92532 By Rod Liddiard. The sports teacher was Mr Rees pictured Centre. The two South Birmingham Trophies (League and Cup) were won in 1954. He had been my class teacher the year before During the 'Double' year I was in Miss Pargetter's class. In the final Year 54/55 I was in Miss Ashmore's class and we won South Birmingham Cricket Cup,
Frankie Thrasher was skipper and Wicket Keeper I was one of the opening batsman and
opening bowler.. In the soccer team I was No 9. I am pictured back row on the left of the goalie (Len )and behind Denis Harvey , the captain No picture of the cricket team as we all went our seperate ways at he end of Term. Myself along with several other boys to Moseley Grammar School.
Golden Hillock Football 1954.jpgGolden Hillock 4a 1953_WEB.jpg

See my picture on the left. I joined the Royal Navy. At the time of the picture I was the 011 XT864 Launch (1).jpg011 XT864 Launch (1).jpg011 XT864 Launch (1).jpg005 ready to lanch.jpgaircraft maintenance contoller on 892 Squadron on HMS Ark Royal. I popped up to the 'goofers' to take this shot. Aircraft is McDonnell Douglas Phantom. Year 1972.

Does anybody remember Terry & Tony Wragg that lived in Barrow Road and Linda Shaw (who I married 47 years ago) which now has MND
Yes I remember them also ivor winters lived in barrows Rd his name was hill but mom changed it .and Mr chase the French teacher.

I was at golden hillock left in 1974 to work at cadbury for 30 years remember all those teachers yes very strict but did us no harm ,not like today teacher can't say a thing to little angels often wonder what happened to most remember evon Warmall I worked with her auntie at cadbury

Does anybody remember Terry & Tony Wragg that lived in Barrow Road and Linda Shaw (who I married 47 years ago) which now has MND
Ye I remember them I lived in medley Rd and my best mate lived in barrows Rd his name was ivor winters but did change to hill

Back