• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

You are right about the gates sure enough as can be seen on the side bits.

Your right our Kid - Tufnol Composites - the leading UK manufacturer, machinist and stockist of high performance laminates, composites and engineering plastics is celebrating 80 years of continuous manufacturing of the globally recognised TUFNOL laminate range at its Perry Barr, Birmingham site.

It was back in the early 1920’s that George Ellison, founder of the famous switchgear and control gear firm, issued a brief to his research chemists to develop a superior insulating material for use in the Company’s switchgear production. Ultimately to be called Kite Brand Tufnol, a newly developed material was born in the Company’s laboratory, which utilised resin-impregnated paper that was then moulded under heat and pressure. Initially the paper based laminate was produced for internal consumption only, but it was not long before demand from outside the Company reached such a level that greater production space became essential. In 1929, a purpose-built factory was opened accommodating specially designed and improved plant to cater for the expanding market.

https://www.tufnol.com/tufnol/default.asp?id=126

Interestingly Geo. Ellison also made hospital beds at one time. Would have been around the 1970s I think. Now that's diversification! Viv.

Well, as they say, you live and learn! I never knew that there was a connection between Tufnol and Ellison's. I was brought up within sniffing distance of Tufnol, back in the 1950's, and the pong of phenolic resin made that particular company highly unpopular around Perry Barr. I've actually machined a fair bit of Tufnol over the years, and it still stinks!

G

You've jogged a distinct memory there Big Gee. Both my mum and dad worked at GE and I remember that smell on their clothes. I also went to Christmas parties at the works, so no excuse for me getting my bearings wrong. But map reading was never a strongpoint! Viv.

Viv, the only difference is in the size of brushes,ie; 8" wallop brushes as opposed to a no. 8 signwriting sable brush.

Yes, will do Bernie. Seems like it was quite a progressive business in its time.

Thanks John - like the name, 'wallop' brushes! Viv.

Taylor and Challen on Constitution Hill certainly intended their name would be visible. It's still visible on their buildings (or maybe it was once one main building which was extended?) including an office entrance on Constitution Hill and further works in Henrietta Street round the corner. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348914706.271849.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348914725.198284.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348914745.579301.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348914762.720671.jpg

Tagging on to Vivienne's post, this is one of Taylor & Challons signs that is viewable on the approach to Snow Hill Station.

Attachments

• Hockley  Snow Hill approach Constitution Hill.jpg
    Hockley Snow Hill approach Constitution Hill.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 73
That's a great sign Phil. Gives us that little bit extra about when the workshop (?) was built and re.-built. Hopefully the building and its sign is preserved. The premises on Constitution Hill (well the part known as the Derwent Works at #32 to # 42, has Grade 2 listed status. Here's the Listed Building info. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348922803.310705.jpg

Some of the best and most evocative ghost-signs are to be seen in rural France, on old buildings that haven't seen a lick of paint for years and years. They really add to the character of the buildings. I wouldn't mind betting that some French ghost-signs date back to before WW1.

Re: Tufnol, my mother used to complain like hell that the washing stank of phenolic resin when she took it in off the line, and because of this she eventually conned the old man into buying a 'Flatley' - remember those?

G

Please Note - Vivienne14 has started a dedicated thread for Tufnol and Geo Ellison. Anything relevant to these companies should now be posted there please.

I managed to lose a post that was relative to the Tufnol Thread - if it was yours can you please repost? Thanks.

Bernie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Big Gee, not sure we can match the French signs can we? But I'm pleasantly surprised by the number that still sem to be around in B'ham ( well at least those on Google Streetview). Here's a good one of Pickering and Mayell, jewellery case manufacturer. A nice example at the junction of Caroline Street and Kenyon St. The old Georgian building (Reliance Works) looks a bit the worse for wear, but it still seems to be in use as P & M also occupy the newer premises next door in Kenyon Street. There's a window sign in the Reliance Works building on the 2nd floor referring to it as a 'Warehouse'. Lots of little clues given here and a wonderful Georgian building as a bonus!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348950450.286890.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348950470.146147.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348950491.313976.jpg

P.S. I do so wish we'd invested in a Flatley Big Gee, just had to put up with the 'Resin Whiff' Viv.

Two more from the Jewellery Quarter. The first a very sad sight, can't quite make out the name - Barrow(cliffe or clough ?) on the corner of Legge Lane and Camden Drive. The second, Jones and Palmer, Printers, in Albion Street. Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349121076.589297.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349121097.091982.jpg

nice thread viv...recently seen a ghost sign down nechells way..will get a pic of it when i visit our dad this week..

lyn

That's funny viv I was going to put that first photo on myself. I've tried to get in there in the past just to have a look.

Took this today and even close up cannot be sure what was originally writ. Looks as if the whole block is now owned by University College Birmingham.

PICT0022.jpgPICT0023.jpgPICT0024.jpg

Froth that really is a ghost. When highly magnified you can only just about make out 'Nechells Park'. If you hadn't told, us we'd have spent days debating it!

Bernie, think it looks like Barrowclif(fe) perhaps. We need the help of Mikejee ...... pleeease? Seems odd that it belongs to the School of Food.

This one's not very ghostly, simply layered in lots of blue paint. It's "The Arden Stores" at the junction of Arden Rd/Ash Rd/Bordesley Green Rd. The directions post in the foreground seems to be fading too, think it's lost some arms. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349188660.310190.jpg

Viv - They own a lot of the old buildings around the Quarter and close by - some for development some for keeping.

Hopefully Bernie there're are plans to renovate/restore etc rather than demolish. Viv.

On post #47 could it be Barrowclift Spinnings Ltd. 36 Tenby St.? (Had a look in Kelly's 1973)
rosie.

From between 1956 and 1962 to 1973 Barrowclift Spinnings Ltd metal spinners occupied 25 Legge Lane (with B Stych & co, manuf. jewellers at same no.). there seem to have been a number of companies occupying the site. Around the time of the attached c1889 map it was George H Twigg, manufacturer of paper fastenings. Then it seems to have been a larger building, going back further. This was certainly true up to c 1921. Possibly there was bomb damage during the war

map_c_1889_corner_legeg_lane_and_camden_drive_no_25.jpg

Thanks Rosie and Mike. Nice to get that one sorted. You can just about make out 'ings' on the sign,which must be part of 'Spinnings' (I originally thought it was probably 'buildings'). Viv.

You can just about make out a little of the writing on the wall of this electro-magnetics company in Bond Street. There is still a faint line of writing on the side of the building, level with the top of the first floor windows - where the pinning is. In the B/W 1950s (?) photo you can see the words 'Steel Products B'Ham Ltd', but can't quite make out the name. Looks like it begins with an 'S'.Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349276294.633430.jpg

Viv
I have stretched out the photo, and it looks like Stanill, or possibly Stahill or Stamill. However i can't find any company of any of those names in Kellys for 1950, 1946 , 1938 or 1932

factory_bond_stpic_stretched.jpg

Thanks Mike. See what you mean. Maybe it could be Stanier, but you've probably already tried that. Viv.

Back