• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gem Street School

JKC

Deleted Upon Request
I am sure there was a school named either Gem Street / Gen Street or am I going bonkers....I did try the search on the above, got nothing back, same appiles to friendsreunited......someone please put me out of my misery.

Growing up in the slums we were always told if ya don't learn you will end up in Gem Street which I suppose must have been a school for kids with learning disabilities, I use to pass the school once a week for my weekly dose of sun-ray treatment.......which did.......nothing as it was an arc lamp.....now considered dangerous

I thought I was going nutty....I can remember people saying the same Cromwell.....but can you tell me where it was......Ta

I used to have to go to the clinic in Sheep Street and Gem Street was the next Street .....one end of Gem Street was Aston Street the other end Coleshill Street ......I will post a map in a bit

Ta Lads.......at one stage I thought that Fox Street and Gem Street could have been one of the same.......my wife's family are a funny lot.....not funny ha ha.....but as strange.......not my wife she is normal...with good taste......and also very lucky................:)

My Mom anything but funny and she went to Gem Street and my Aunt, its where they lived, God Bles Um:love: I have posted before on this subject:)

Yah We Took The Mickey Outof The Kids
Whom Attended Gem Street
If We Spoke With Other Kids ,and They Did Not Agree To What We Was Telling Them , Or Could Not Under Stand What We Was Telling Them
We Would Say Are You Thick , Or Do You Go To Gem Street School Mate,

when i was in high st ,they used to bring the kids from gem st to burlington hall for dinners sometimes,and us kids would climb up the windows a nd shout and pull faces at them as most of em would have their dinner all over their faces ,they would retaliate by throwing mash potato(it was always that) back all up the windows,what seemed great fun 50years ago takin it out of the feeble minded seems now terribly cruel and thoughtless,but as kids it was all part of playing outdoors(nobody mention frogs and straws or we will all be arrested)

Gem Street

I did go to gem street school!! there was a boxing club upstairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there was a school named either Gem Street / Gen Street or am I going bonkers....I did try the search on the above, got nothing back, same appiles to friendsreunited......someone please put me out of my misery.

Yes John there was, my Mom & Aunt went there and there was not much wromg with them, by the way I posted this yesterday 1st reply don't know where it WENT;)

:angel: Not dreaming John... Here are three pic's of Gem Street and School :cool:

The caption under Pic' 1 Says:
Lily Place Gem St 1910. One of the many courts of back to back housing which were prevalent in Birmingham during the nineteenth century.
Gem St was situated in the area now occupied by part of the University of Aston.

Birmingham General Library Warks Photo By ?
(The only part I couldn't make out was who supplied the photo, sorry).

Last edited:
I know its been some time since this post started but yes definately there was a Gem St School in fact there were 4 schools in all, one was indeed Bishop Ryders, I went there for a couple of years, then there was the school for the deaf and dumb one for the blind and last but not least the infamous Gem St itself! This was a school for children with learning difficulties. Gem st came out almost opposite the back of the Central fire station!

Ther was a Gem St My Mom went there for a time I have posted this before, Try Serch at the top of the page:)

My dad went to Gem Street School around 1920 - by all accounts it was a tough establishment. I think that's where he first took up boxing, probably as a means of self-preservation. He became a pretty useful light-middleweight in his teens, until an accident put paid to his boxing.

I have vague memories of (I think) Sheep Street Clinic where I attended to have my knock-knees rectified!

Big Gee

Back