• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frankfort street, Hockley

Dear Lyn,
this is fantastic. I believe that is the corner shop on the lower right there. And the factories are on the left-hand side in the shadows. If so, then we are looking at my home for the first five years of my life--55 Frankfort street. My bedroom was on the very haunted 3rd floor. Number 55 is about where that pram sits, if memory serves me well. When do you think this was taken--mid 60's? We left in '62.
This is wonderful. Thanks so much, Lyn
Kevin

Lyn, looks to me that it was about 1965-56 just before they were pulled down. some of the houses are derelict and there is a Foed Anglia if I am not mistake. Walked down that road many times.

Dear Lyn,
this is fantastic. I believe that is the corner shop on the lower right there. And the factories are on the left-hand side in the shadows. If so, then we are looking at my home for the first five years of my life--55 Frankfort street. My bedroom was on the very haunted 3rd floor. Number 55 is about where that pram sits, if memory serves me well. When do you think this was taken--mid 60's? We left in '62.
This is wonderful. Thanks so much, Lyn
Kevin

hi kev this is such great news..i was hoping one day i may find a pic of your house as i know it means such a lot to you...well taking into account that you left there in 62..and looking at the cars not to mention the fact that most houses are bricked up i would say its was taken middle to late 60s which is what leonard said.oh by the way my attic in villa st was haunted too lol.

lyn

yes topsy you are quite right..those houses in the background are of frankfort st...that pic was taken from just inside the entrance of a little courtyard..ive got some pics somewhere that i took about 3 years back taken from the exact same spot but of course the frankfort houses had long gone..

lyn

silly me topsy..if you go to post 38 on this thread the pics i took start there and i also mention the pic that you have just posted but at the time i couldnt find it so thanks for posting it...this part of frankfort st is very close to the summer lane end..

lyn

Last edited:
absolutely delighted to see photo.didn,t think one existed.we left 59 frankfort st,where i was born.in may 1954,and thought houses were demolished soon after.knew it was a later photo by the cars.!!our roof used to leak and me and my sister slept in the attic with a bucket catching the rain.is that mapplebecks on the left.did hospital st run between frankfort st.we lived in the end near new town row.thank you so much for helping me with my memories.

absolutely delighted to see photo.didn,t think one existed.we left 59 frankfort st,where i was born.in may 1954,and thought houses were demolished soon after.knew it was a later photo by the cars.!!our roof used to leak and me and my sister slept in the attic with a bucket catching the rain.is that mapplebecks on the left.did hospital st run between frankfort st.we lived in the end near new town row.thank you so much for helping me with my memories.

hi irene so the pic on post number 54 must show your house...i see that you and fellowkev must have been neighbours then as he lived at no 59 from 1955 to 65...

lyn

#53 When i lived in Paddington St i Vaguely remember A Blacky Raven coming
around The St on Voting Day Singing Vote!! Vote !! Vote for Whoever
I was only about 7 at the time.

Blacky Raven used to sell penny winks by the pint,from his barrow as he pushed it around The Lane and other streets in the vacinity every weekend.

thanks so much moss,i was only 8 when we left on the "overspill" to go to northfield,but i have vivid memories and can now show my kids how it was,i had a friend called eileen heath who lived in a shop in hospital st,and we went to cowper st school.my uncle walter wiley lived next door to a shop in farm st,think it was manners or similar.love the photo,s.!!

Hi everyone,
After studying Lyn's picture of Frankfort street and then lying down to have a really good think--recalling distant memories, I realized that Lyn's picture of Frankfort street is further west from where we lived. The picture Lyn posted is the north side of Frankfort street looking west from Hospital street towards Great Russell street.
Irene's family and mine lived in the section of Frankfort street between Hospital street and Summer Lane. In fact, we were only a few houses up from the corner store (located at 67 Frankfort street) in the picture shown on post 65.
Irene lived at No.59 and my family at No.55--between Hospital and Gee streets. The picture of the Dolphin on the corner of Hospital and Frankfort caused me to question my assumption, and after a little research on the location of the Justice Inn at Great Russell street and Frankfort, and then after combing through the 1911 census and Kelly's, I knew I had been wrong.
Even so, Lyn's wonderful picture brought back loads of memories of my daily walk to nursery school up on Farm street. I remember the houses were not yet bricked up as they are in the picture. We could go in them and play. We were looking for shrapnel, assuming they were bombed out (not just dilapidated). I remember in 1962-63 there were no floors remaining in many of those houses, many were hollow shells from roof to cellar. Perhaps they were bombed out. Were they bombed out, or just in an advanced stage of decay?
By the way, anyone know what "Berlin Place" was on the south side of Frankfort street? Was it the name of a section of housing?
Thanks for bringing back some amazing memories!
Kevin

Last edited:
Vote!! Vote!! Vote!! for Mr Lawler. I've forgotten the words now but, I can remember getting on a Coach in Summer lane going for a free ride and singing our little heads off. That must have been the late fifties early sixties.
#53 When i lived in Paddington St i Vaguely remember A Blacky Raven coming
around The St on Voting Day Singing Vote!! Vote !! Vote for Whoever
I was only about 7 at the time.

Yes!! I thought it was, the free coach ride anyway. I can recall reading a book some time ago about this and i saw a picture of this. Mr Lawler, dear me the memories came flooding back. I wish i could remember what book it was.

thats right kev,we lived further up our street.the houses in farm st were ok when we left in 1954 as my uncle walter wiley still lived there.we loved to go to guildford st where there was a river down the drain.it was years later i realised it was a sewer.!!! an entry separated our house from 61 where my auntie lived,the weetmans.there was a key to the shared "toilet"where there was ripped newspaper stuck on a large nail in the brick wall.we all played out with no trouble,and the worst thing that was said to me was "get down your own end".so i did!!!!

hi irene ..i was told to ...get down yer own end many a time..lol...

happy days...

lyn

think its a new one tospy...thanks for spotting and posting it...i think you are right leonard it would be the justice...

lyn

Another great picture of Frankfort street. Thanks Topsy. The image of the old neighborhood is starting to take shape now. Somewhere along there is Jack Kirby's rag and junk yard. He'd pop down and visit us frequently
Kevin

Back