• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous people.

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
And a nice one it is too Mike. Maurice Chevalier eh, now there is another one I would not have remembered.

Catherine Hepbern Cary Grant and James Stewart in 'The Philadelphia Story'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of the infamous John Wayne. The first one is from the Wake of the Red Witch and the second from Reap The Wild Wind. I don't have the dates.

I have been told that I resemble the star of this one, Gary Cooper in High Noon. 1952.

Thanks stitch and I have to say if i was at home and you was in Switzerland yep ya might do l:D:D

Last edited:
I have to tell you that I do not know anything about this man.
His name is Osbert Lancaster. 1944

Patty, they are lovely, lets hope someone can give a little information regarding the presentations they were in.

Hi Patty,The second photo is of Cora Goffin who was very famous in her day,having her picture on chocolate boxes and cigarette cards and magazines.She even had her legs insured for £20,000!!! She played a lot of principal boy roles and musical comedy roles.She married Birmingham Repertory Theatre manager, Emile Littler (later knighted in 1974) in 1933 and after starring in some of his productions,retired in 1940.
Emille Littler is credited with establishing "Pantomime House" in Oozells Street and his flagship theatre the "Prince of Wales",Birmingham,was destroyed in the Blitz in 1941.
Emille's sister Blanche married George Robey.
There's more about the Littlers and Cora etc on the link below

View attachment 36194

View attachment 36195

View attachment 36196

View attachment 36197View attachment 36194

View attachment 36195

View attachment 36196

View attachment 36197This has given me a chance to have a good sort out anyway.
I had a lot of these photo's in frames, oval ones and I went and cut them to fit that is why they are a funny shape. Shouldn't have really I suppose but it's done now. I have taken them out of their frames, very dusty in the cupboard and thrown the frames away, so here goes there are a few
Sorry doubled up on some.

Patty, they are marvellous. In my opinion they were all better than the stars of today. I remember most of them, the names at least. George Roby was always mentioned. Have a good look at Jessie Mathews, I could die for her. Not now of course but when she was younger. But then I would have been too young. I'll just imagine things to myself, but she was beautifull.
Trevor.

I don't know if this was one of the really great films. I did'nt see it anyway. The Philadelphia Story

I read yesterday that Vera Lynn is the oldest person to have a recording in the charts. During the war years she was known as The FORCES fAVOURITE, and her songs were known as HITS OF THE BLITZ.

Hi Stich, I have been a fan of Vera s since her dance band days when she was "Sweet 17", as I said in the original post she was the first Britt to
have a number one in the American charts.A little off post I know but some years ago in Derby they ha d a "War time theme dance" and invited
people to go in uniform, my wife found a ARP uniform in their cellar at work and I went in that, I won third prize went up on the stage and got a
Radio Derby tie AND a big kiss off Ann Shelton How about that then?
Take care now Bernard

Hello Bernard, ooh Ann Shelton. I remember whenever the radio was on the singers were Ann Shelton, Alma Cogan, Vera Lynn, The Andrews Sisiters, The Beverly Sisters and many, many more. I got a friend in the States to send me a C.D. of Vera Lynns hits of the blitz for my step brother, I say step brother but we were bought up as brothers and sisters. I got this CD. because my brother was talking about Vera Lynn and the traumatic time he and his mates had in the Battle of Monte Cassino. He loves it. I also got him all the swingtime hits and he will only ever dance to that music. He half bends forward and his arms are working well as he takes about three or four steps forward and then backwards again. He is almost ninety now and is still as bright as a button and extremely mobile. He does not take any medication and does all his own housework and cooking. He lives in the Springfield/Tyseley and travels to Touchwood in Solihull centre for all his shopping.

Here you are Bernard, just for you. If you Google Ann Shelton, you will be a happy man.

Hi Stich, Have only just found the photos of Ann Shelton you posted, thanks a lot they certainly bring back happy memories, I have been I have racking my
brains to remember when it was, very early 1980s I think, she was no spring chicken then, but like most of the singers in those days instantly recognizable the moment she opened her mouth.I have been a
fan of dance band music from 1920/30/ 40s for many years, it those days
I think our bands was as good as, and sometimes better than the USA.
Thanks again you have made an old man very happy, bye Bernard :cool:

Hello Bernard, go onto Google and type in Ann Shelton. You will be amazed at the information on there about her and her career.

I don't know if this group can be classed as famous but they did have a big hit in the 70's with 'Who do you think you are"
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPWFwXt7fM"]YouTube - Candlewick Green Bridlington 3B's Theatre 1970's[/ame]​

Here is a photo of me (with dickey) and my wife, Marie-Rose on stage with the whole group.

Graham.

Back