• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous people.

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
Len, I did not see the programme but I have read about it before.

As usual Mayfield, brilliant.

Now I dont suppose many will know this one. It is Jacob Epstein in 1939.

Trevor,

E.M. Forster was a famous author, 'A Passage To India', etc. And Peter Pears was an English Tenor. And Benjamin Britten was a famous composer.
Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
My word Ann, you are dead right. Although we don't realise it, the talent of these people is missed by many.

Trevor,

In case you want to know more this is The Britten Pears Story, including 'Night Mail'.

Ann

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4aVEPmSo98"]YouTube - The Britten-Pears Story[/ame]

Ann, I am not going to say you amaze me because some female members will assume that I did not realise that women are as intelligent as men and that would never do. It is surprising though how many people of both sexes do not know about many of these people. Of course, they all know the more popular singers and actors/film stars, but knowledge of writers and operatic stars seems more obscure for some reason.

Trevor,

I only became aware of Forster because of the film adaptations of 'A Passage to India', 'A Room with a View' and 'Howards End'. All of which I loved. But confession...I haven't read the books!

Ann

And there was me thinking you were genuinely educated in such things.

This one will catch you out. 1956 and Lady Bonham Carter talks to
Tom Driberg.

Hello again, nice to be back, many years when I was at Caterham, the guards depot, we had a Drill Sergeant from the Micks,Irish Guards, his
favorite saying was "even if you cant look like Ronald Coleman, theys no
need to look like the Coop coalman" Anyone remember Ronald Coleman
in "A Tale Of Two Citys", good film that. Bernard67Arnold

Bernard, I do have a copy of the poster for that film somewhere. In the meantime here is something to be going on with.

Ronald Colemen was one of my favourite actors - I could listen to his voice for hours, so soothing.

One of my favourite films was Random Harvest. Mabz:)

Heres one for the women. Frankie Laine. 1954 I was going to tell you he was having a bath at our house but you would not have believed it.

Mary Pickford. 1892-1979. The picture is a still from the film 'Little Lord Fontleroy'. She played two parts in the film.

Benny Hill,younger people only knew him for his TV show,but he was an established actor in the 1950s.

How about Albert [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ketèlbey, born in Alma Street Aston. the son of George Ketelbey and Sarah Aston. [/FONT]

Hello Mike, it's amazing how many famous people have or had their roots in Birmingham.

Stitcher...loved the photo of Frankie Lane, but I hope he doesn't get a "rawhide" from all that scrubbing :D

Margot Fonteyn in 1946. I think this was before she was made a Dame.

Len, I did not see the programme but I have read about it before.

As usual Mayfield, brilliant.

Now I dont suppose many will know this one. It is Jacob Epstein in 1939.
Did'nt he manage the Beatles?

tom, I think you will find the Beatles Manager was a different Epstein.

It's unusual to see the two together Mike.
How about this one, Glen Miller in 1944

Here's a photo of a genuine Brummie hero, Sir Barry Jackson, who founded the Birmingham Repertory Theatre.

Big Gee

Last edited:
Hey Mike!

Was that photo of Billy Fury and Elvis taken at Madame Tussaud's???

Big Gee

Like it Big Gee :) I thought much the same yet it is reputed to have been one of Billy Fury's favourite photos. Apparently he was talking as the photo was taken.
Mike

Back