• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington High St. Photos

Hi Pedrocut: Thanks for posting the photo of the Scout parade up Erdington HighStreet. I remember the Erdington Meat Company shop next to the Milk Bar and is that Dale Forties underneath where the Carlton Ballroom/Mother's was on the right hand side.

Just a mention I have two photos of the National School and the Old Roebuck pub in the HighStreet which Erdington Library won't
let me post on the forum. If anyone wants to see them just send me a message.

View attachment 44694

Hi Frothy, chocks2 and jennyann,

Looking through other slide of my uncles I think the date could well be before 1970. This picture outside St. Barnabus could have been taken at the same time. The van may give a clue.

All the best, Peter

Hi Pedrocut:

I think these slides might have been taken in the early 1960's. Something interesting tonote also. The wall around Erdington Parish is at it's original height in the last photo. It was lowered and remains that way today. Thing is...when was it lowered?

Shera, your pic on #78. Where abouts would that be? With your back to or facing Six Ways? Just wondered where those trees might be.

Thanks

Shera, your pic on #78. Where abouts would that be? With your back to or facing Six Ways? Just wondered where those trees might be.

Thanks

Hello David. That photo was taken at the top end of Erdington High street looking towards six ways. The large building is the Palace picture house, before it was tarted up.

Gravelly Hill

Attachments

• Erdington Gravelly hill (4).JPG
    Erdington Gravelly hill (4).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Me too Jennyann,bought my sons first bmx bike there at Tower cycles.

Last edited:
I understand that the bloke who ran Tower cycless leases out to the antique shops there, Tower Carpets is there also and the shutters used still have a 'cycle' shape on them. Used to use the doorway as a smooching corner waiting for the 28 bus years ago............ The butchers there Bill Wicketts have some old pictures on display in the of their late father as a butcher, one of the guys likes local history also

Here is a picture looking across the road from the old village green 1875 previously posted by PMC1947. One of the super old photo's on here. If you look at the 1890 survey...the lampost is marked GP on the map...'guide post'.

Attachments

• Erdington Village Green 1875 .jpg
    Erdington Village Green 1875 .jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
It's a long time since I looked at this but I think that the Swan would have been out of the picture to the left. I don't know when the Swan was built.

Link to High Street info : https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19793&highlight=erdington+high+street

Page 2 has pictures and maps. The old village green where the subject picture was viewed from had a Library built on it and it looks like the railed triangle then bore the name of the green. It looks like The Swan was indeed to the left of the old picture in one building version or another and Len did win the quiz. The Guide Post in the later photo's looks to have a taller base and appears further out from the buildings to the right of it. So it might have moved when they built the railed triangle. I bet if you Google Earth the place today you might find the same post spot in some form or other.

anyone remember roadleys the pram shop erdington had my first born pram from there any photos please xxx

This thread has got the tears rolling down my cheeks, I feel like a right wuzz. Spent the first 21 years of my life in Erdington, on the junction of Short Heath and Streetly Roads, not far from the 65 bus terminus, and my memories of the High St include.

Meeting my first real girlfriend at Woolies where she worked on Saturdays, my mom and dad taking me to see the Man from Laramie at the Picture House, The POP Inn cafe in one of the side roads. Queuing up to see, I think it was The Kinks, at Mothers (The Carlton) and they didn't turn up. The Army and Navy Store, The Milk bar, Stanley James, where I got my posh school scarf, The Roebuck, walking down to Spring Lane playing fields for evening cricket matches and Saturday football matches, the baths and library, The Swan where the Brew XI was to perfection, The Palace. I'm sure I can think of many more

Hello Jennyann

All your memories seem to be my memories. I attended Erdington Parish regularly on Sundays also. Three times, childrens' church, 11 o'oclock service (sitting in the front row on the right and Mrs Tonks front row on the left, Sunday school, and Evening Service. I went to Discoverers on a Thursday evening. I was also a bellringer. I am talking about the 1950's. We also used to say we are going up the village shopping. We had a happy childhood in Erdington. However the place has changed and the High St. is no longer what you would call a Village. St. Barnabas was burned down about 2 yrs ago. It is still waiting to be rebuilt. The outside is much the same but the inside has been gutted. It will never be the same, the ideas for rebuilding are to my mind not good. They intend to put some sort of a metal roof and not slate it looks disgusting. The regular parishioners going back to the 1950's are not at all happy with the new regime.

Hi Fentham: I was in Erdington High several times in October and November last year.I have a friend Margaret who lives in Wilton Road and we had two great lunches together at the Charlie Hall pub.Margaret has lived in Erdington all her life and she knows everyone at the old Barnabas Market where she took me to introduce me around. What a memory jolt that place is. It's the one place that hasn't changed over the years. Everyone is so friendly.

I still can't get over the fact that Woolworth's is gone and coming out of Barnabas market you always knew it was there. The B&M store is not the same even though they sell Pick n Mix sweets. The one old shop I could recognise in the High Street is Thornton's. It used to be called Thornton's Chocolate Cabin years ago.

I am very sorry to hear about St.Barnabas. My friend told me that work had come to a standstill. Hopefully,they will get
it sorted about the roof and make some progress. The Church House upstairs where Discoverer's was sometimes held
is still there and Hazel's the Funeral Directors hasn't changed just the owners.
Did you attend Fentham Girls School? Which year's did you attend Erdington Parish.? Miss Tonks was my Sunday School teacher at one point. I think she lived in South Road

Frothy, it's great to see that bloke is still up his ladder at the Sign place after all these years. Did you offer him a drink for taking his picture??? LOL

Great photos Frothy. What a beautiful day. We had one like this yesterday...today it's raining. I love the man on the ladder Motorman Mike. I always look for him when I either walk by or go by on the bus. One thing in Erdington that hasn't changed. I have never been in the Cross Keys...I can't believe it really. Frothy,I do hope some progress is being made on St.Barnabas. I see that photo is taken from Church Lane car park.

The fountain looks shut off.My friend Margaret who lives very locally told me that the fountain had had soap suds poured into it for the maximum bubble bath effect. Not surprised really. Thanks for posting.

Re: Erdington High St. Photo Request

Last Xmas did anyone see the signwriter as Father Xmas, I missed it if it was covered Dave

The person in the front of the picture looking at the meat counter which i presume is Erdington Market is Pat Cattermole. I can name her because she is no longer with us...Cat
Hi I know this is a long shot but my mom's sister was called Patricia Cattermole and I wondered if it was the same person where would I find the picture?

Back