• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington High St. Photos

• Thread starter Thread starter sjjones
  • Start date Start date
Brilliant photos,all of us from Erdington never said the High Street,we were 'going along the village'
To my sister who has lived there for 60 years it will always be the village.
She works at 6 ways end and when she finishes at lunchtime she walks the length of the village and down station road.
She rarely shops in supermarkets and buys everything she needs at different shops along the village.

Our teenage entertainment was wonderful

The Palace on Saturdays,the Picture house on Wednesday and maybe a bit further away the Plaza or the Pavilion on Sundays.
The coffee bar most evenings and the Carlton on Friday.
No drugs or alcohol needed to enjoy ourselves.

Were the Plaza and Pavilion in "the village"

Was The Carlton Club above the shops somewhere near Hazel's Funeral Directors?

I remember seeing Pink Floyd play there in the 60's and have been told that Interstella Overdrive was recorded there, can anyone confirm that for me please?

I agree with you both about the entertainment in the High Street going back several decades. In my early teens I belonged to the Youth Group at Erdington Parish called Discoverers. We met on Thursday evenings in the
Church House across the road from the church. The main room on the floor level had a stage and several plays were put on every year as well as dances. Later on my friend Margaret and I went to all the places Alberta mentioned. We always said going "Up the Village" when we went there.
The High Street has changed so much from those days in the l950's but there are still some good shops and I always enjoy the Markets on Barnabas and Wilton. It wasn't even thought of to go in the pubs along the High Street in those days at least girls didn't unless they went with their boyfriend. I only remember going to the Roebuck in later years.

When I visit I walk down the High Street from Six Ways all the way to
Station Road, down to Marsh Lane and up to Stockland Green if I feel in the mood to walk. The other route is along Gravelly Hill to Fentham Road past the old Cottage Homes and up Highcroft Road to Reservoir Road and down to Stockland Green.

hi suze...i am not very good at dating the older pics but early 1900s maybe....could even be late 1800s....there will prob be members who can say for definate....

astoness

hi suze...i am not very good at dating the older pics but early 1900s maybe....could even be late 1800s....there will prob be members who can say for definate....

astoness

Hi thanks....see the dirt on the road?...no horse droppings?...what a tidy village!....any more lovely photo's?

not of high street suze...but if you are looking for any perticular streets or roads just type the name in the search box top right hand side of the home page.....

lyn

not of high street suze...but if you are looking for any perticular streets or roads just type the name in the search box top right hand side of the home page.....

lyn

Thanks Lyn...I was looking for photos of High St with " Taylors "in,where my Mum worked.....she was wondering whether any of the Taylor family was still alive...Michael Taylor?

froth they could be...unless they made suits ect then the spelling would be tailors....not taylors....i think.....lol

lyn

ps so were they tailors then.....or shopkeepers...

now keep up froth lol....what i am trying to find out is what sort of a shop taylors was....

lyn

right..now we are getting somewhere...lol...

i will now start looking for a pic of it then...

lyn

The Taylors of Erdington High street or as Alberta said Erdington village came from Aston...Cat

Last edited by a moderator:
hi
I was a member of the carlton club . it later was called the mothers club but i don,t know why .yes it was by hazels funeral you had to climb stairs to get in.Screaming lord sutch used to play there.Roystonp123

No as I said a bit further away from the village,the Plaza Stockland Green,and the Pavilion on the corner of Chester road/Gravelly lane.

Wrestling matches were in Wilton Market years ago.

Last edited:
Hi Lyn..."Taylors " were a department store...not quite like Grace Brothers,but old fashioned,large wooden stairs and floor walkers

Thanks all for the wonderful photos. Erdington was my ‘happy hunting ground’. Anybody remember the Swan, Roebuck, the old Acorn on the corner of Church Street and the big pub, sat back from Six Ways? Probably on Gravelly Hill, technically speaking. Had a club in the back room- what was it called? The Cross Keys and the pub down from there on the corner of Station Road? Memory fails me badly these days! (I might have a few places/directions wrong- I’m sure somebody will see through my memory (alcohol) haze!) And the Curry Gardens- where we all went when we were p****d and hungry!
Woolworths, opposite St Barnabas church always, from my earliest recollections had a special place for me because of its stone structure (or maybe it was just a facade?) And the old market opposite, down Barnabas road. If I remember correctly, the post office was just at the back of there. Good days, good people.

Hi Paul: I have written a lot about Erdington in this site. I am from Erdington originally and you can find my posts by entering Erdington in the Search at the right hand top of the first page. The pub on Six Ways was called The Queen's Hotel. It's all gone now. I remember the Acorn, the Roebuck and the lovely old Cross Keys on Station Road. Many others on this site have written about these places as well. St. Barnabas Church, as you may know, was set on fire by an arsonist in October 2007 and is at present being rebuilt. It's very sad that this happened.

The present Erdington is much changed from those days that you have referred to, especially the High Street. Those were different times and are remembered as being for the most part as happy and good times by those who lived in Erdington back then.

Hi, jennyann. That's the one, the Queens- but wasn't it the Queens Head as opposed to Hotel? It must be 30 years since I walked down the High Street. I've been back since, family events as I have a sister still at Bracken Road and a brother in Hart Road. But it's alway been arrive, function, sleepover and home. Next one I must make the time for a walk round Erdington.

Hi Paul: Yes you are right it was the Queen's Head and not Hotel. Slip of the mind. A close friend of mine had her wedding reception there and it was tucked away off Reservoir Road at Six Ways. Such a shame that that corner was in such a derelict state for so long. It's all changed now with housing
being built there. I haven't been back for four years so haven't seen that
site in it's latest form. Here is a photo of what is now known as Queen's Court with living accommodation and it looks like shops on the ground floor.

You must have a walk down the High Street next time you visit Paul. It
certainly is very different and now that Woolworth's and Littlewoods have gone it must be even more "different" if you get what I mean. Also Erdington Parish is being rebuilt which once again will make changes. Part of the High Street at the Library end is pedestrianised these days.

Attachments

• queens court.JPG
    queens court.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that photo, jennyann. Certainly looks a lot different. I spent many hours in the Queens Head and various other similar establishments in Erdington. Then it was the long haul down to the Erdington Arms that eventually became the Armada. But it was worth it because then you had Lichfield Road with a pub almost every three staggers right into Brum!

Hi Astoness...did you manage to find any photos of "Taylors Department Store"? I have been away and the thread seems to have ground to a halt. I will contact Frothie too as he seems to be very knowlegable. Thanks in advance.

Hi Frothie...if I may call you Frothie...any news on the Michael Taylor front,is he still alive my Mum wonders?

I don't mind being called Frothy suze, it better then what some people call me on here. Sorry I can't help on Michael Taylor. Come on you lot,help the girl

Thanks....my Mum will be very interested...I will try to get it printed off.....any more anyone please?

Back