• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington and Sutton High Streets

Hi, Im new to this so please forgive if Im doing it wrong!
Ive been looking at the lovely photos of Erdington and wondered if anyone has a photo of a Blacksmiths Forge in Erdington ?
My 'Dad' actually saw a picture of his Grandfather, Mark Mills...Blacksmith, standing outside the Forge, many many years ago, on a Beer Mat, possibly produced by Ansells, but he forgot to put the mat in his pocket!!!
I would love to be able to find this picture for him.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Thankyou.

Try Central Library they have a large collection of photo's. The other idea would be Carl Chinn's photo site Birmingham Lives.

Hi Dave: Thanks for posting that pic. Smashing photo of your Granddad.
I used to wonder what happened to the old "Forthcoming Film" posters
that were there all the time at cinemas in those days. I heard on a radio programme the other day that those posters were on loan to the cinemas
and were part of a package deal with the film reels. They were all accounted for and had to be returned. Some of the posters are worth a fortune these days. Wonder if the distributing companies really enforced that return rule for the posters?

I'm quite a film collector myself. Dozens of actual posters from the 1950's and 60's. I'm adapting my computer software in due course to put some up on one of the internationa film collectors' websites. Only a very few have the name of the cinema on as well and none of local cinemas I don't think.

Does anyone have any special favourites? (I can see myself on here 24 hours a day LOL)

Richie.

Hello Wendy, Im guessing your reply was about my Erdington Blacksmiths photo query.
Thankyou for your suggestions, I did look in the library collection some years back but with no joy although they may have added more now so I will look next time Im there...and I didnt know about Carl Chinns site....I have just had a quick search but no joy there either, but I will be going back to explore the site further as it looks fascinating, so thanks again..

I don't know if it has been shown before, but really enjoyed looking back and remembering the old places. Thank you
Lynda

Thank you Frothy, That made the memory do some overtime, very well put together...Cat

Lidy loo, put into your...... google search bar......Erdington Blacksmiths 1800s......
You can then go through the sites at your leisure...Cat

Hi people can anyone help me as regards to my posts? im at a stand still, does footage exist of trams or busses or anything outside of my house in the good old days. many many thanks ricco.

Hi - I am posting on behalf of my husband (John Hooke)? his mother, Doreen still lives in 43 (next door) and has lived there since they were built (just after the war?) my husband was born in 1954 but he remembers in 1960 ish a family called MacArthy lived in 45 - then later a Ray and Frances (?) a very nice Asian family live there now (2009)

Hi - posting this on behalf of my husband (John Hooke) - he remembers Mr Trevor Jones (music teacher ) and Mr Haydn Jones was the English teacher and Mr Dawes the Head. He went to the school between 1959 until 1967. Do you remember the Killer? ha! ha!

You mention the Dances at the Abbey HAll - my Grandfather ran them, and my Uncle and Father joined him after the War. the band was Side Checkley and the Checkers - have photos somewhere of them. I always remember being farmed out each Saturday night to my Grans as Dad in his Tux and Mum in one of her many long evening dresses swanned out. They were originally started to raise money to pay for the Church Hall but were so successful they carried on long after.

As a youngster I was paid initially 3d to date stamp the tickets for each Saturday and later it was increased to 6p. New Years Eve, Valentines Day, St Patricks Day all had "posh" gold edged tickets like wedding invitations, other times were just printed sheets - done by a printer at the top of Edwards Rd. Lloyds Bank was on the corner of Mason Rd and High Street. When I was about 5 I was allowed to go to the Tea Dances - where I got my love of Ballroom and later went on to higher things in that field.

Does anyone remember the Army and Navy Stores, Griffiths the fish shop next to Woolworths, the old Erdington Markets which were transformed in to boxing and wrestling rings after the market closed, Dulcies Shoe Shop and Lotus (my first pair of stilletos were bought from there for 6 pounds - nearly two weeks wages) there was Burtons and the Undertakers and a butchers shop set back from the road oposite St Barnabas.

Oh you reminded me of Dicks Cake shop every Saturday my Gt Aunt would visit with a box of cakes from Dicks - Custard Squares, Pineapple Squares, Eclairs and Bakewell Tarts - this was just after the end of the war and we were starved of these sorts of things.

Hi Dyan: Thanks for posting about the shops in Erdington High Street all those years ago, Brings back memories and I can relate to most of the places you mention in the High Street. I remember the Army and Navy on the right hand side of the Church House close to Hazel's the Undertakers. I bought some water wings from there many years ago. They were army issue in a grey colour. I remember when they had wrestling matches at Erdington Market on Barnabas Road. They were very popular and I can remember seeing the bills posted around Erdington advertising who was coming to wrestle.

IU remember Griffiths the fish shop next to Littlewoods in the years after the war. I first saw frozen peas for sale there. Regarding the shoe shops. They were prime shopping areas for me in the late l950's and early l960's. Dolcis, Saxone, Lotus (could never afford
anything from there) Freeman, Hardy and Willis. They were all in my line of sight most of the time. I also spent a lot of my meager wages on shoes. I remember Burton's and Stanley James close by. I also remember some of the grocery shops...George Mason, Perks, Home & Colonial.

I newver went to any dances at the Abbey Hall but I enjoyed reading about them and your parents getting all dressed up to attend them. Such different times.

I have written about Dick's before and remember it well. I was in the High Street recently and was trying to decided which building Dick's was in but couldn't remember. The High Steet has changed so much over the years. The only two shops I remember from
years ago are Thornton's and Walter Smith Butchers. What I mean is I think they are the only two shops left from the late l940's onwards.

Last edited:
Hi Jennyann

Dicks - okay you are standing at the Village Green looking towards Six Ways - get the picture Dicks Cake shop is on your right - past the Picture theatre, past the Chemist with the coloured bottles in the window. Co-op was set back a bit then the shops came out Dicks were opposite where they shops came out. Okay I have some more names for you.

Wrensons the grocers, Rowbottoms (small goods made the best Black Pudding - oh that we could get it here and they did "faggots" in tin dishes with all the jelly attached) Shufflebottoms (the grocers by the Green), Greens the Newsagents at Six Ways, Watleys Garage, Halfords, Mac Fisheries Radio, Rentals, (these were in the "new shops" by the side of the Palace Cinema) Williams the Florest, Ansells Off Licence (next to toilets next to Library) Paynes shoe repairers (at the Green). There was a toy shop and Stationery shop close by Dicks as well cant remember the name. Also do you remember the Milk Bar which was next to the Butchers just up from Burtons and Hazels on the same side going towards Six Ways. Heres a couple more W M Taylors, Baynes the Bakery next to Littlewoods (got our Hovis from there) Darrells the Butchers on the Green, Tays the Butchers on the corner opposite Woolies, Thomas Hearns Mum and Dad bought a "G Plan" dinning room suite from them it now graces our beach house or bach as we call it, still as good as new 50 years on.

Where Midland Bank was on the corner there was short road which led down to Sutton Rd there was a law firm down there on the right hand side, I bought my first sewing machine from a shop opposite there a Helvetia and paid it off - I still have it 48 years later and it still works well (I have the bill and the guarnatee) also I bought a portable typewriter from the shop next to the Midland Bank and my Mum used it till she died two years ago and it still works have difficulty in getting the ribbons for it now its a "Bluebird". Mum worked until she retired at Currys (now Dixons) as a Cashier after retiring from the family Jewellery Manufacturing Business in the Jewellery Quarter.

Mum and Dad came out here in 1991 after we had been home on our last visit, Dad died two years later. It was a brave move for them in their late "70's I have some happy memories of the Rememberance Day Parades when my Uncle Bill used to take the salute at the village green where they set up a minature cenotaph and we all placed poppies in the ground to remember the fallen.

After my last visit I could never go back again - I have no reason to but even if I did the "Village" was so awful I felt as if I was in down town Beriut!!!

Kind regards
Dyan

Dyan.Jennyann and i have reminisced on other posts about Erdington,'the village' but you have added loads of memories.
I too bought my first pair of stilletoes from Dolcis,Wait for it,green pearl leather with handbag to match.
I worked in Woolies on Saturdays and spent all my wages in the village.
I had a bedroom suite from Hearns when i first got married.
I loved Mr. Hazel the undertaker,he would walk slowly up and down the High street a few yards from his premises,wearing a black top hat,he looked like he was touting for custom LOL.
I can see that going back after so long may have been a shock but I suppose you don't notice it when you visit regulary,my sister lives in Erdington and loves her shopping in the Village.
I think the law firm you refer to is Eddowes,Perry Adams,they are still my sisters solicitors.Next to them was DR. Houston and DR.Throne.
I spent a lot of time in the Milk Bar opposite the Acorn.

Any one remember THE CALTON BALLROOM & DANCE SCHOOL orTHE CHURCH HALL next to Hazles .We held our engagment & my 21st Birthday party in the Church Hall.
Harry Parks of Villa fame had his shop on six ways & my wife worked for Mr & Mrs Watson ladies hairdressers us just down from six ways ,past the garage.

Hello Baron,
I remember The Carlton Ballroom & the Dance School. I took my exam for my membership to teach ballroom dancing there. I think it was in the early 60s The dance school was run by Eric Rowlands and his wife.
I believe it was later used by various groups and live music. Bye the way Dyan? how far did you go with your Ballroom dancing ? were you a competitor ?

Betty

Great to read everyone's remembrances of Erdington High Street. Dyan, thanks for the directions to find where Dick's shop was located. It was such a treat to be taken there as a child. The ground floor had coffee grinders which presented the outside in copper. The smell of fresh ground coffee was tantalizing. Upstairs was the tea room with silver service. Usually, a teapot,hot water jug, slop basin, strainer, cups and saucers. If you ordered a fancy cake then the waitress would bring in a two tiered cake stand with several cream cakes on. So mouthwatering but my two brothers and I were only allowed to have one cake each.

I remember Hearns Furniture shop which was built next to the National Schools ( If anyone would like a photo of the old Roebuck in and the National School, please let me know. Erdington Library sent me three photos but will not allow me to put them on the Forum. You can send me a message via the Forum).

Dyan, I also remember Wrenson's, and most of the shops that were close to the Palace cinema. There was another furniture shop near to Mason Road called Davey's. The building is still there. I was in Erdington High Street in October and November this year several times. Went for two meals to the Charlie Hall pub on Barnabas Road next to the market with my friend Margaret Rowe who lives in Wilton Road. Margaret ran a hairdressers shop at the bottom of Marsh Lane for years and then later on a shop attached to her house facing Osborne Road School. Margaret knows all the traders in the Barnabas Market and introduced me to so many of them. The Market isn't much changed in it's layout. Margaret is an ex-Fentham pupil and we became very friendly when we helped to put together the 100th year reunion of Fentham Girl's School. 375 ex-pupils turned up for that event in April 2004 at Sutton Townhall.

I remember the Snack Bar which I believe was next to a Butchers Shop. I went in there a few times. I went to dances at the Carlton Ballroom in the late l950's. Now, of course, it is very famous when it became Mother's and some of the very famous bands of later date were fledglings and played there. There was a furniture shop called Hilon's under the Carlton Club. Yes, Baron, I remember the Church Hall which belonged, I believe to Erdington Parish Church. It had a stage and many plays and dance shows from the local dancing schools were staged there. Upstairs is where they had film shows or lantern shows as they called them years ago and the Senior Bible classes were held there for many years. My mother in later years belonged to the Erdington Townswomen's Guild and they used to meet in the Church Hall.

Dyan, do you remember the El Sombrero Coffee House very close to Hazel's Funeral Directors? Alberta, glad to have your input about the High Street as well as Betty's. The Coffee House appeared in the late 1950's when espresso coffee became a new craze. Alberta, those shoes sounded really great. I was forever peering in the Dolcis shoe shop window even after I had left Britain but came home for a visit. I just wish we were able to take more photos of those days. I remember the Crown Wallpaper shop and the Scotch Wool shop both not far from Woolworth's. I remember Baines Bakers, always loved their cakes and bread.

W.M. Taylors has several posts devoted to it on the Forum. They had two shops. One was a general Department store almost across from
Coton Lane and the other one was a hardware store on the corner of Harrison Road. The hardware shop closed and the Dept. Store became Owen, Owen in later years before disappearing altogether. Do you remember Popplewell's the haidressers near the Library? I remember the music shop close by where the Methodist Church used to be and Miss Norton's amazing shop where she sold high end cosemetics on the same side. I think that there was an opticians close by.
Dyan, I remember newspaper shop close to Six Ways and the Paynes Shoe Shop which parted me from my hard earned money over the years.
I had a good look around Six Ways on this trip and even took the bus one stop past Six Ways to Cecil Road in order to take a photo of the Edwardian house that Fentham Girls School used to teach their pupils housekeeping. Happy memories of time spent there. I am fortunate enough to be in touch with three people whom I knew from those long ago days and was happy to meet one of them on this last trip.

I remember the Gas showroom which is now a very large British Heart Foundation Thrift shop, Boots Chemist was further up and Church's Shoe Shop was close to Coton Lane on that same side. I saw a Church's shoe shop in Mayfair...the prices are out of this world for leather shoes. My Dad used to buy his shoes from the Erdington store. Mustn't forget the bicycle shop on the corner of the High Street and Coton Lane and Dorothy Perkins shop where my brother and his wife made their first home in the flat above the shop.

It is sad what has happened to Britain's High Streets over the past few years with shopping patterns changing and people wanting one stop shopping at big box stores. Erdington is a fair example of that but people still flock to shop there. It will never be the same as I remember it. I met some super people when I was visiting and everyone was very friendly.

Dyan, your parents were very brave to come out to New Zealand at their ages and I am sure that you had some great times together. I am glad that the "G" plan furniture went as well. It still looks very good today.

Just in case you haven't found Keith Berry's great black and white photos of Erdington High Street, you can find them here.
https://www.pbase.com/beppuu

Hi Jennyan and Betty

Betty - I was taught and taught at Bokker and Betteridge in Town, I did a bit of competition work but due to work commitments could not do dedicate the time to it, when I came here I would have had to sit all the exams again so gave it away.

Dr Houston and Throne were on Sutton New Rd diagonally opposite the Cross keys next door to the Dentists, I think Doc Houston lived in the house. Dr Throne was there in 1991 I met up with him again he signed my Mum and Dads Health cert to come here.

Yes I remember Poppelwells the hair dressers - I used to go there all the time Tony Poppelwell always did my hair, then I moved to Pickerings cant remember why. In the block where Poppelwells were was a china shop and I think the Scotch wool shop. The Optician moved to the "new shops" opposite and there was a pet shop and garden shop I think they moved from round about where the entrance to the new precinct is. The original shop was like an old shed and we used to get our dogs biscuits Bobs Mixed Bars and Spratts worming powder from them. Gran and Pops had the dog (Peter) all through the War no idea how they fed him - but Pops being in the jewellery trade most likely had some deal going - diamonds were a great trade!!!! I had forgotten about the Gas Showrooms - I do remember Mum and Dad buying a very swept up stove from them. Up towards Taylors on the same side was an underwear shop I got my first bra fitted there cant think of the name now but it was owned by one of Mums friends. Yes I remember the wallpaper shop too - we should make a plan out and put in the names of the shops.

I dont remember the coffee shop by Hazels just the one next to the Butchers on the sixways end. Do you remember the shops opposite the Cross Keys - Sweet Shop, Bensons the Paper shop, the fish and chip shop - a must after going to the Dances at the Abbey for "6 penth of cod and chips" or roe and chips (wish we could get roe like that here) then there was Cashmores the Plumbers and builders yard and a Cycle Shop I got my first two wheeler from there.

We must all be about the same age I am in my late 60's now, lived my life in Bonsal Rd, Hart Rd and Dunvegan Rd, went to the Abbey Primary School then St Agnes Convent before being shifted to Hodge Hill Grammar to make up the numbers, then on to university. All my friends lived in the area Edwards Rd, Mason Rd, and Hart Rd. Dad and Mum lived in Dunvegan (behind the Co-op) till they left to come to NZ. I was in the Brownies and Guides at the Abbey 106th Birmingham Our Ladys Own - and became the Brown Owl for a short time, we built the Guide Hall in Station Rd next to St Thomas's Club it has now gone what a shame. Oh well thats progress not that I like it too much. We live in a small country town where time has stood still here the total population of the whole country is only 4 million, do I love it sure do.

Hello Dyan & Jennyann.
Although I have never lived in Erdington I have found your descriptions and memories most interesting. Don't know how you can remember all this so clearly ? { mind, I am no longer in my 60s ! ! - further to think back ? } One shop -or should I say shops ? was Banks' shops in Slade road. They had a block of shops and seemed able to supply anything. The shoe shop was amazing, I think they stocked every size there was, and if they did not have what you wanted it was there by next day. There was also a shop which stocked gent's chothing for LARGE MEN only. I believe this one is still in business after all these years. One of the shops was a sort of drapers but in those days it was a sewing paradise. Mainly for stage costumes and dancers. I used to buy my Lycra and net from there .The net was half-a-crown a yard ! it took about 60 - 70 yards depending on size and style. Mr. Banks was a lovely man and most helpful. When flourescent Lycra came on to the market he searched everywhere to get it. I vaguely remember a row of shops opposite Banks' and I think there was a Hospital lower down the road. { St. Margarets ? ? ? } also a school. I do remember Bocker & Betteridge on Bristol Street. Billy was quite a charmer, but then aren't they all ? ? ? I think it was the body contact when you were dancing that did it? I had better go and have a coffee ' cause I am getting a bit maudling now
Betty.

Betty that Large Mans shop was the last shop before Geo Baines the Bakers and that was on the corner of Marsh Hill. It was also opposite The Stockland Pub.

There were so many shop in that Area by the Plaza Cinema. There was a Barbers, Fish & Chip Shop Toy Shop so many many more

Before it was the Large Mans shop it was a shop that sold Net & Curtains Mom used to get all her Net Curtains there

Betty I'm in my 70s I remember

Last edited:
Hi Folks.

Can anybody tell me what is happening to the Erdington Parish Church so sadly burnt down a couple of years ago.

We made our last trip to Birmingham from Devon just after the fire and both my wife and I could not believe that such a terrible thing could happen.

We have this year celebrated our Golden Wedding after being married there in Feb. 1959.

Has restoration plan been set up and are there any plans to repair I hope not replace it was a wonderful church.

Ray

Ray

Hi Folks.

Can anybody tell me what is happening to the Erdington Parish Church so sadly burnt down a couple of years ago.

We made our last trip to Birmingham from Devon just after the fire and both my wife and I could not believe that such a terrible thing could happen.

We have this year celebrated our Golden Wedding after being married there in Feb. 1959.

Has restoration plan been set up and are there any plans to repair I hope not replace it was a wonderful church.

Ray

Ray

Here's good news for you Ray, been under wraps and under repair for nearly two years.

Back