• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington and Sutton High Streets

Heres a couple of slade road

Attachments

• Erdington Slade Rd  x.jpg
    Erdington Slade Rd x.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Slade Rd.jpg
    Slade Rd.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi Astonite
thank you for the picture it is great, i can just see my house on the right! just wondered if anyone had any other pics like this with the houses a little more in view? if so please let me know.
many thanks again astonite and look forward to hearing form anyone else that has pictures of slade road, erdington.

Great photos Astonite...thanks for posting them. I have gone under and over that tunnel so many times but I can't remember walking through it. I know Slade Road so well. Love the trams and seeing the "Three in One Oil" ad again.

Hi people here is a bit of a find for you all, at the top of copeley hill just off slade road before the monster we call spaghetti junction was built we had beautiful big houses among them was Dr crabb's house, well there is a bit of waste land right at the top of copeley hill where you can go no further due to spaghetti being there,, in what was the back garden of one of these gone old grand houses still surviving is this concrete figure of eight fish pond all over grown now but you can still make it out it was painted blue.. i wonder what else lays under all this undergrowth?

Hi people here is near to my old house as i can find can anyone please find more photo's of slade road just this very scene at this spot with my old house in view on the right or maybe a front view of number 45 slade road during the good old day's if so please please post many thanks ricco or email me cheers

Edington High St, The Palace on the left

Attachments

• Erdington High St 1955 .jpg
    Erdington High St 1955 .jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 3
Great photo of the High Street Dave. I can remember so well all those buildings from that era. I would really like to see a photo of Dick's
Tea Rooms which were on the same side as Littlewoods. Thornton's Chocolate Cabin was along there as well.

Hi people can anyone help me as regards to my posts? im at a stand still, does footage exist of trams or busses or anything outside of my house in the good old days. many many thanks ricco. happy new year everyone,,,,,

Hi Ricco: Haven't been able to find anything from the old days re trams, etc. going by your house near the railway bridge on Slade Road. You may have seen the Google Earth shot around there though. I used to go on the diesel from Hunton Hill to New Street Station where I worked in the mid l950's, twice a day. I remember going past the houses on Emery Close that faced the railway line both winter and summer. There was always something to look at along there when people left their lounge and kitchen curtains open. It doesn't seem to have changed much over the years except that the city put in a pedestrian walkway under the tunnel.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.511154,-1.8598711&z=17&t=h&hl=en

Don't give up hopefully something will turn up re trams.

Hi jennyann very grateful for your reply i will keep on looking but if anyony can help me further i would be very greatful many thanks ricco

Hi Rico

Is this one any good to you. Its a bit closer.

Phil

Attachments

• Slade Rd.jpg
    Slade Rd.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi phil that picture is the closest yet very very interesting seeing that old photo many many thanks phil keep em coming please

Interesting photos of Slade Rd ,only recently joined this site,but I lived in George Rd,1943-65, and my very good friend at that time lived in the 1st house after the school.-Peter Clark, No 130or 113?.I went to Slade Rd School infants,juniors and seniors until leaving for Handsworth Tech. Who remembers Mr Jones the music teacher?
Also up the top of Hillside Rd my other friend Tony Jarvis.Lost touch with both Peter and Tony and would like to hear any news of them.
Billy Hall also lived in Hillside,his father owned the Chemists on the bend,up to what is now the Island under spagetti.
The pedestrian tunnel under the railway bridge was blasted out to make way for 2 lane traffic.
mike

Trackline 65

I was a teenager when they decided to dig up Streetly Road to do the 65 bus on tracks. I was shocked that all the big mature trees were pulled out...
Living on Birchdale Road,I pasted it everyday on the way to school...

jennyann and Mrs T yes remember it well, pure vandalism, and a waste of money, someone gained by it at the time Dave
The tree`s might have been the same ones as in the 1930 pic

I agree about the trees. I have photos in my "Story of Erdington" book that
show the Streetly Road carriageway being built. Yes, I imagine those were the original trees. I thought the description of the Tracline 65 was quite flippant on that web site I posted. I wonder how much the whole project cost
and why the Council or Transport Heads didn't think it was working.

'Tracline' was only an experiment, Euro-funded I believe. At the end of the experiment the operator (West Midlands Travel) would have to take responsibility of the 'track' maintenance and repairs, something they did not consider value for money as the buses were already paying road fund licence. The Tracline buses has their guide wheels removed and were repainted into fleet livery and ran full normal lives. One has been added to the Aston Manor Museum collection, with the intention of restoring it to 'Tracline' livery.

Hi Lloyd: Thanks for that update on the Tracline. Do you know if this experiment was tried in any other part of Birmingham? Thanks

Not in Birmingham, but the system is used in a few places abroad and a route is being constructed along the disused railway track of the former Huntington to Cambridge railway line, which was closed in 1998. See here for some details of the track laying.
The system has a major inherent snag, as do Metro type tramways: if one breaks down, the following ones are stuck behind, although the Short Heath track was split at a few places for ordinary traffic to cross, and buses could (with slight difficulty) leave or enter the track at these points.
Towns like Runcorn and Redditch have dedicated 'bus only' roads, which work well and segregate bus services and regular traffic, thereby preventing each holding the other up at peak times.

Here's a photo of Marsh Hill, Erdington in 1923. The houses on the left are all still there. You can see the spire of the Chapel in Witton Cemetery in the distance with perhaps one of the other Chapels that used to be there.
The large white area on the right is where Marsh Hill School was built in 1929. Below, there on the same side you can see the pub "The Hare and Hounds". It had a tudor look on the front on this picture but was changed a bit later on.

Attachments

• Erdington Marsh Hill (2).JPG
    Erdington Marsh Hill (2).JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 4
This might have been on before

Stockland Green with the Plaza, my Grand Dad was a Commissioner there at one time

Attachments

• Erdington Stockland Green The Plaze Cinema.jpg
    Erdington Stockland Green The Plaze Cinema.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi Dave:Wonder if your Grandad knew Mr. Reago who was the Manager for decades at the Plaza Stockland Green. He ruled over his "kingdom" with an iron fist.

Hi Lyn: Erdington Rink was a roller rink as far as I know.

Back