• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Drew Douglas

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone! :)

After stumbling across this forum quite by accident while researching, I immediately signed up.
I've got a vested interest in Birmingham, particularly during the early 19th century. That's because my paternal line comes from the Birmingham area. I'm Australian and have been researching my paternal side on and off for a while now. It's been a long and at times frustrating journey, family history research was never really done with any significant effort until now.

What I'm trying to uncover is my direct paternal side as far back as possible in the UK. As you can imagine for someone who lives at the other end of the world, this is not an easy task. Unfortunately I have no idea about my Great-Great Grandparents, William and Hannah Douglas. When were they born, where did they live, what was life like for them, where are they buried? Who were their parents? Where did they come from? So many unanswered questions I'm sure all of us are familiar. So that's the reason why I signed up here. I got a feeling that this forum could unlock many mysteries.

It's my intent that one day I'll travel to the UK and follow my ancestors footsteps, visit the sites of significance to them and visit their grave sites (if they still exist). I'm sure you understand.

I look forward to chatting, learning and one day even visiting this fascinating city. :cool:

Welcome Drew, but note that many here are of the age where the Colonies are still considered Britain and not international. :laughing:
Good luck in your quest.

Hi Drew

Welcome to you, I'm not into genealogy myself but we have plenty of posters on here that are. I'm sure they will be only too pleased to help and put you on the right track. There is one thing that I do know and that is that they will need full names, dates of birth, and any addresses you may have.

Try FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org) for a start. You will need to register but it's free. There are quite a few William Douglas's married to Hannah but other members of the family listed may put you in the right direction.

Hi Drew

Welcome to you, I'm not into genealogy myself but we have plenty of posters on here that are. I'm sure they will be only too pleased to help and put you on the right track. There is one thing that I do know and that is that they will need full names, dates of birth, and any addresses you may have.
Thanks Phil.
Yep, I got as much information that I have handy and ready to go. But I'm not going to pester genealogists who I know have more than enough work on their hands. But I will use this forum to do my own research as best I can. :)

Try FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org) for a start. You will need to register but it's free. There are quite a few William Douglas's married to Hannah but other members of the family listed may put you in the right direction.
Thanks. Yep, already registered. It's a long process of elimination but I am making progress. So I'm happy with that. :)

Wcome. If you post a bit more info including dates as Phil suggested then people on here will dig for you. We like a challenge.
Thank you. That is so kind. :)

Ok, well this is what I know....

My Great Grandfather Edward Douglas, migrated to Australia in 1839 (against his will) and was born on the 20th of March 1821 in Warwickshire (Baptised at Carris Lane, Birmingham on 8 April 1821).

I'm almost 100% certain that his parents were William Douglas and Hannah Bacon, married on 18th of June 1820 at St Martin Church of England in Birmingham. I base this assumption on only finding two Edward Douglas's born between 1820 & 1821 - one of them died in infancy - so I just followed the money from there.

I've since learned that Hannah tragically died in May 1823. Edward was just two years old. She is buried at St. Mary, Birmingham. She was recorded as residing at Bailey Street. Which I assume back then, as it is now, was a residential area. What I would like to know is how she died and did they have any more children prior to her death?

William was buried on 2 January 1848, so I assume he died late in December 1847. He is buried in St Paul, Birmingham. He was recorded as residing in Pritchett Street. I assume back then it wasn't really a residential area, but industrial, as it is now. Again, I don't know how he died or did he re-marry? Did he have any more kids? I got a hunch that Pritchett Street may have contained a workhouse of sorts.....

I believe Hannah was born in 1796 and William in 1790. I don't know exactly where they were born or who their family were. I'm worried that's a bridge too far to cross. :(

Thank you again for your offer. :)

Last edited:
Welcome Drew,

It's friendly bunch of characters on this forum and, as Janice said, they love genealogical and other historical challenges. You're not the only Australia-based member on here - there are quite a few - as well as most of the other English-speaking countries of the world. I have lived in Crete, Greece for over 14 years, but was originally a Brummie.

Maurice :)

Drew,
Much of the 19th. and 20th. centuries, before the wholesale redevelopments of the inner city, would mean that the older areas were an interesting mix of industrial and residential premises. The large companies were quite evident but much of the city of 1000 trades consisted of small premises, often set up in what were once back yards. Many survive, particularly in the jewellery quarter. Lots of interest in the threads on this Forum.

Welcome Drew,

It's friendly bunch of characters on this forum and, as Janice said, they love genealogical and other historical challenges. You're not the only Australia-based member on here - there are quite a few - as well as most of the other English-speaking countries of the world. I have lived in Crete, Greece for over 14 years, but was originally a Brummie.

Maurice :)
Thanks Maurice, :)

I assume when you say 'Brummie' that means you come from Birmingham right? :p
Good to know that there's other Australians here too. You'd be surprised by how much interest in the UK there is here, particularly in relation to family history. ;)

Drew,
Much of the 19th. and 20th. centuries, before the wholesale redevelopments of the inner city, would mean that the older areas were an interesting mix of industrial and residential premises. The large companies were quite evident but much of the city of 1000 trades consisted of small premises, often set up in what were once back yards. Many survive, particularly in the jewellery quarter. Lots of interest in the threads on this Forum.
I'm very much ignorant to the history of Birmingham Alan, much to my shame. But since learning of this connection to my past I've taken a much more vested interest in the city.
Sadly I suppose much of the town planning from two hundred years ago doesn't exist any more. But I am pleased to learn that there are many heritage sites surviving from even before those times. I look forward to seeing it all. :)
Would you happen to know what kind of industries may have existed in Bailey and Pritchett Streets during those times? Or perhaps steer me in the direction where I might find out?

hi drew and welcome...just a couple observations from me as i am sure some of our other members will be only to happy to chip in..

your gt gt grandfather was baptised at carrs lane not carris lane

st martins church in the bull ring is still there
as is st pauls church in the jewellery quarter
st marys long demolished all bodies removed from graves and re buried in various other cemeteries...

there was no workhouse in pritchett st...i had rellies living there round about the same time as your rellies so it would have been both an industrial and residential ..should be a couple of old photos of pritchett st on the pritchett st thread...i am trying to place where bailey st was/is

lyn

Drew, there are honorary titles; you are, it appears, a Brummie Babby. I am classed as a Brummie although I never lived in the city but south of it in Warwickshire. I did spend a lot of time 'clocking the joint' as a youngster. I have lived in SW England for 65 years.
You can change your status, but I am happy to leave mine as it is.

I see why you put that Edward migrated to Australia in 1839 (against his will).
To find out how Hannah died have you obtained her death certificate?

hi drew and welcome...just a couple observations from me as i am sure some of our other members will be only to happy to chip in..

your gt gt grandfather was baptised at carrs lane not carris lane

st martins church in the bull ring is still there
as is st pauls church in the jewellery quarter
st marys long demolished all bodies removed from graves and re buried in various other cemeteries...

there was no workhouse in pritchett st...i had rellies living there round about the same time as your rellies so it would have been both an industrial and residential ..should be a couple of old photos of pritchett st on the pritchett st thread...i am trying to place where bailey st was/is

lyn
Hi Lyn
My apologies, not ever living in Birmingham has exposed me to unintentional typos over place names. ;)
Thanks for the tip about the Pritchett St thread. I'll look it up. :) It seems that we were neighbours back in the day. ;) Do you happen to know what kind of industries were located there during those days?
I have a hunch that my G-Grandad may have been a Jewelry maker.....

I see why you put that Edward migrated to Australia in 1839 (against his will).
To find out how Hannah died have you obtained her death certificate?
Yes, unfortunately for Edward he was exiled to the other end of the world for a petty crime. A fate befallen thousands of men and women. In a strange twist of fate their misfortune turned out to be a ironic stroke of luck and good fortune for many of them and their offspring.
That's going to be added to the list of things to do. To chase up Death Certificates. At least to find some answers for some closure in the book I'm writing.

hi drew birmingham was known as the city of a thousand trades and for good reason...there is a very good chance that your g grandad could have been in the jewellery trade but i cant see how we can find out his occupation as he left england 2 years before our first census of 1841 which would of course have given us his occupation

lyn

On the criminal records it suggests he was a blacksmith - not sure if you have seen the entry for the UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 (I'm on Ancestry). The original entry is across 2 pages - if it is to small I will re-copy on separate pages.
Yes I found that entry last year. Although I have doubts about the veracity of his claim of occupation because he never appeared to take up the Blacksmith trade again after arriving in Australia. Which would have been unusual because such a trade was in such high demand.
His age casts a shadow of doubt too, maybe he was an apprentice Blacksmith.
I hadn't noticed where his Prison Hulk was moored before. Good find! :)

hi drew birmingham was known as the city of a thousand trades and for good reason...there is a very good chance that your g grandad could have been in the jewellery trade but i cant see how we can find out his occupation as he left england 2 years before our first census of 1841 which would of course have given us his occupation

lyn
HI Lyn. I've pretty much got my G Grandad Edward nailed down. It's his father William I'm concentrating on, bits of very useful info is coming together. :)
It appears William's brother and father (also named Edward) were Jewelers. So I'm going out on a limb and assume that William may have followed the family trade and took it up too. But yet to confirm my suspicions.

I've learned so much about my GG Grandparents in the past 24 hours than I have ever in the past ten years of taking up research. All thanks to you wonderful folks. :)

There is a William Douglas on the 1841 census living in Pritchet St. He is listed as Duglass with a wife Anne, 2 sons and 2 daughters.

He is listed as an Augur Maker Journeyman.

hi MWS do you have a number for pritchett street please as we maybe able to find it on the scottish overlay maps to see what is there now..obviously the houses have long gone now...i would suspect its all new business units now

lyn

There is a William Douglas on the 1841 census living in Pritchet St. He is listed as Duglass with a wife Anne, 2 sons and 2 daughters.

He is listed as an Augur Maker Journeyman.
Wow. That's fantastic. Thank you. :)
It seems I may still have rellies over there. How interesting. :cool:

There are no numbers listed on freecen but the street listed before Pritchett St is Hackett St and they appear to be closer to that end than not.

If they are the right family then Ann is living in Lancaster St with 2 sons and a daughter. Of the children Eliza, John, William and Mary Ann, John looks like the easiest to trace. He was a thimble maker and married a Harriet Davis on 17 Aug 1857 at St Jude's.

Back