• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth Mineral Water Works and Well

Have got photo from post 175. The later two seem to be the same as this but very small?. Have cleaned up 175. Yes Rosie , I think you are correct. These are then typical cobbles that were used back then . The pipes must have been later over them , and presumably are 20th century. Interesting would be to know if they are from the Spring period (1854 or bit later), or earlier

20221130_141322A.jpg

Last edited:
Some great info coming out here. What a fascinating dig, in what is (correct me if I’m wrong) the oldest part of Birmingham. Many thanks from me too for the interesting updates and photos. Viv.

This is the info - as Rosie has pointed out (thanks) - that I’ve posted elsewhere about the petrified kidney stones. It might be of some use. The photo is dated 1899 and shows the stones at the corner of Livery Street and Water Street.

It would be nice to think that the Museum and Art Gallery have a cast of the stones for comparison - although I think the reference to this in the 1878 cutting is tongue in cheek! Viv.

AAE6174E-5291-484F-BCCD-2C0A1FD67727.jpeg58F8E175-3194-4C89-8539-F6D34A5A65B0.jpeg5DFA41B8-E679-40DA-968F-73CD970D83AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Some great info coming out here. What a fascinating dig, in what is (correct me if I’m wrong) the oldest part of Birmingham. Many thanks from me too for the interesting updates and photos. Viv.
Totally agree with Viv. Thanks to all who are able to contribute but especially to Shaun. Must take up so much of his time

mike visible on all photos on post 194 is that half of an old drain showing...middle right of photos

lyn

It is said that Joseph Chamberlain suggested for his own epitaph...

“He planted trees in our streets and abolished kidney-stone pavements.”

This is sounding very good. Medieval perhaps ? The dig seems to be going very deep now, so the old road/pavement level must be significantly below the modern level. Viv.

If the ‘fence’ posts are anywhere near to the underground reservoir, they might be stakes that held a wooden surround to the tank. Another excavation in Park Street found two underground tanks, (possibly used to hold an industrial supply of water) surrounded by postholes to take pointed timber uprights holding timber lining planks. Source: “Beneath the Bullring” by Simon Bateaux pg 89 Photo from that excavation. If the posts are connected in any way to the tank, they will be post-mediaeval.

Viv.

BF284160-5868-4F5C-B8CC-EFE228EE8EA9.jpeg

hi sean popped down again today... i like to get things right and i take it is but could you confirm this is the underground spring water being pumped from the site to a drain outside ? its flowing quite fast..click on my photos and click again to zoom in

lyn

digbeth sat  2.jpgdigbeth sat 6.jpgdigbeth sat 7.jpg

Last edited:
thanks sean...you posted a photo on post 206 of the well but i could not see it from my vantage points ...maybe i needed to actually be standing on the site and my climbing days are over :D could you give me a rough idea where abouts the old well is....thanks

lyn

a few more photos from yesterday i dont think there are many more photos to take until hopefully the dig uncovers more history...took my 6 year old grandson as he is very interested in history..he found the site fascinating the only problem was he then wanted to go and find some abandoned buildings to explore :D we will take him to some in the spring but had to explain he cant go into them at his age its not safe for the very young and old...his reply was well you used to do it at your age nanny...what could i say:rolleyes::D

digbeth sat 4.jpgdigbeth sat.jpgdigbeth sat 8.jpgdigbeth sat 9.jpgdigbeth sat 10.jpgdigbeth sat 5.jpg

Last edited:
Back