• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

I remember them both! I bet they wish they still had that number plate and if you went to Leamington Road now I don't think it would look like that now??
Great photos Fredrick any more?

That car would be worth a fortune now - I remember my dad's 1936 Morris that we used to laugh at but thinking back it had running boards, was big, shiny and black and more like a limo that anything these days.

another one of the lads from Dennis rd Allan Blackburn another one from Leamington rd anyone remember him.

Of course I remember Alan, and Christine. Fred do you remember that Christine was still being breast fed when she was about 10! Weren't they family of the Bishop's? One of them chased use with an axe that he had hidden under his coat and we could only escape death by jumping over the railings at the Little Park!

Tony Reid taught me the facts of life at Dennis Road.

Bob, Leamington Road no longer exists the Nelson Mandela school now stands there. Leamington Road was between Coleville and Brunswick running from Ladypool, Balti Traiangle, to Fulham.

https://maps.google.be/maps?f=d&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=52.456036,-1.875132&spn=0.002733,0.006866&z=17

Graham.

Being breast fed at 10??? Wow sounds like home!!
I remember Freddie Bishop who was in our class, Graham, and he had a brother called Ted; they lived on Moseley Road next to an old mate Douglas Murdoch. The Bishops moved to Sherbourne Road and lived next to Derek Lavelle; all of them are on the choir photo I posted some time ago.
Fred and Ted had an elder half brother called Robin and they were crazy Aston Villa fans, although the father liked Southampton from whence he was from; they also liked Rocket Man better than Superman but that was another story.
A whole story could be written about Robin but this is not the place for it although I'd be surprised if he has not been written about extensively in newspapers over the years.
Freddie was quite a good footballer and was a good worker at school but he was a bit naive when it came to sex; he said he didn't understand it and knew nothing about it. This might have been because he was a bit shy about it and it embarrassed him but I saw him at the doctor's surgery when we were both aged around 19 and he told me he had three or four children; obviously he wasn't that backwards coming forward when he found a new hobby.

Being breast fed at 10??? Wow sounds like home!!

Chris does that mean that you're still on the breast too?
laughing-smiley-001.gif

Write a book about those characters we grew up with? Why don't you make a film Chris; it would be longer than 'Gone with the wind'!

Graham.

i don't remember Christine their were Gordon known as Rickets now he was a good footballer he formed the team Grafton Ceitic my mom made all the shirts Ivory & black i was in the team and so was Allan and their was Derick Bishop who lived with the Blackburns was he still being breast fed.

that Tony Reid he didn't have any trouble pulling the birds another tall handsome chap another photo of him with his third wife over in Australia i will have to write to him and see if he has a email address.

Bob,
dose Johnnie Powel remember Tony Reid.

i drove around by Leamigton rd on August 23rd and Ladypool rd looks really untidy to whot i remember.

Yes I could write a little story, Graham; it might curl your hair but it was an experience none of us there will find easy to forget even though it happened about 60 years ago.
Someone posted some photos on here from a book about Balsall Heath and Highgate; I bought the book from Amazon and there was a photo of Moseley Road Swimming Baths in it; it looked exactly as I remember with the dressing rooms surrounding the pool with the boys changing rooms on the left and the girls on the right.
This was when we were at Clifton Road School so maybe it should go on to their page but when I was around eight we would go once a week to Moseley Road Swimming Baths for swimming lessons; I used to love to go in those days although I was never any good at it and spent most of my time in the shallow end which was around three feet deep; the middle of the pool was five feet and the deep end, with the diving boards, was over six feet.
Freddie Bishop, who I mentioned earlier, never came swimming and I tried to get him to come many times.
His excuse was that he had no swimming trunks and I told him that he could get a slip; a slip is all it was as it was just a piece of thin cloth that you tied around you with a piece of string that was attached to it; it looked a bit like a baby's bib.
We would walk from Clifton Road School, up Clifton Road itself and onto Moseley Road and to the baths which were situated on the west side of the street.

After our swim I think we were allowed to buy Wagon Wheels or other pieces of chocolate.
After a lot of nagging from me Freddie finally decided to come one of the weeks and off we trotted on our usual route; I was delighted that my friend was coming.
When we got there I shared the dressing room with Fred; we were in a room by the deep end and I quickly got changed and ran to the shallow end to join everybody else for our hold of the bar and kicking exercises; we did quite a few exercises but Freddie didn't show so after a while I went to the dressing room to sort him out.
He still had his socks on, when I got there, but couldn't sort out the slip; I tried to help but couldn't manage it so I left him.
A few minutes later I saw him leave the dressing room and jump into the deep end; he had his hands in a kind of dive position with his palms flat and as he hit the water they caused an enormous splash; I wondered what was going on and when I didn't see him come up I shouted to the teacher 'Freddie Bishop has jumped in the deep end.'
'Don't be silly' the teacher said and then we saw his head bob up and disappear again.
We were ordered out of the pool and the teacher headed for the deep end; we kind of wandered up there too.
Thinking back I can't understand why the teacher or a member of the baths staff, if they had one there, didn't get in and pull him out; Freddie kept coming to the surface and then he would go back down and it was obvious to us, even then, that he was drowning – but nobody got in.
A grown up found a big hook on the side and tried to hook him but he went back down again and the next time he came up he reached with his hand outstretched; thinking back now he might have seen the hook but all I saw at the time was his hand and then I saw it go down to the depths of the deep end and I thought it was for the last time as there was a look of finality about it – then we were kind of shooed away and I never saw them pulling him out which they did.
When we were dressed and ready to go back to school I saw Freddie sitting behind a desk with towels and blankets wrapped around him; he had very frightened brown eyes and they just stared ahead like a wounded fern that had been rescued.

Yes I could write a little story, Graham; it might curl your hair but it was an experience none of us there will find easy to forget even though it happened about 60 years ago.

Chris coming from Sparkbrook, though I'm sure Leamington Road was in Balsall Heath, and the school of life, Dennis Road, it would take an awful lot to make my hair curl!

Are you sure that it was Fred that nearly drowned? Because I did the same silly thing and dived in at the deep end; had to be rescued, which took a long time, then resuscitated. This was the forth time I'd escaped death and I wasn't yet ten years old.

The baths are in the top left hand corner of this map, Leamington Road is in the centre of the map, and you can see here that the boarder of Balsall Heath with Sparkbrook runs down Stoney Lane. So you see I'm really from a Balsall Heath back street, Grafton Grove, but everyone in the street was then too ashamed to admit it!

Graham.

SPARKHILL
What's wrong with comin from Balsall Heath then?

I arctuarlly came froam the royal bourough of Sparkhill and due to the baaaths orn the Stratford Road weee could all swim like fishes, no drownings wot!!

Your right Balsall Heath boys where exparndable! Wot Ho!!

i always thought i lived in Sparkbrook but on the map it looks like i lived in Balsll Heath the address was Sparkbrook.

i used to go straight from Clifton rd school to Moseley rd baths every day and it would be little ginger nut biscuits from the kiosk on the way out, i used to be in the school gala every year i was a high diver, on the week ends i would go to Sparkhill baths the diving boards were much high there, and having a splash around in the small pool that was there.

Graham,
Derick Bishop is that him in the photo on page one in the bottom right photo the middle row second from the right i see Terry Ward in the back row to the right of the teacher and Johnnie Powel on the right. it says Clive Bishop but it is Derick.

Yes it was definitely Freddie Bishop; it was never referred to again and he didn't come swimming again.
I felt guilty for a while as I'd asked him to join us.
There were a lot of people who didn't like the name Balsall Heath because it was a high immigrant area and pretended that their bit was Sparkbrook, Moseley or even Edgbaston. Silly really when you look back; there were people who lived in back houses but because their house was on the end they looked down on the people who lived in the middle; people who lived at the front looking down on people who lived in a back house even if it was on the end; people who had a bathroom looking down on those without and so on; maybe looking down on them is a bit strong but they'd be a bit highty tighty.
Here we are all this time later and I wonder if things have changed - are people like Mrs Hyacinth Bucket?

are people like Mrs Hyacinth Bucket?

Chris there’s still millions of Mrs H. Buckets in Britain today!

Yes our parents were ashamed to say that we lived in Balsall Heath and as the border on Stoney Lane, (you still have to show your passport to get in), was within spitting distance they called it Sparkbrook. It seems silly now but I don't blame them one bit.

Graham.

Yes I think one side of Stoney Lane was Sparkbrook and the other side was Sparkhill. When I went to work for the post office I found out that Stratford Road came into it too separating Sparkbrook from Sparkhill.
One side of Stoney Lane was Birmingham 11 and the other Birmingham 12.
We lived on Moseley Road opposite Balsall Heath Road with the Wagon and Horses on the corner and that was well and truly Balsall Heath but people near us would call it Moseley.
There was a factory, or a firm at least, called The Locomotives and we lived in one of four houses right up a lane at 390 Moseley Road next to it. At 390 Moseley Road there was a music shop where I took piano lessons after my first teacher, Mr Clooley died. He lived in Oldfield Road; the guy on Moseley Road had a dubious reputation with young boys and I have never been able to work out why my parents sent me there.

Isn't it a wonder we survived at all with all those perverts, main roads, white bread, sugar and starting to smoke when we were are school?

Anyway we moved to Alfred Road Sparkhill Birmingham 11 which was as rough as any mid city area of Birmingham - I haven't been there since 1993 when I had a job there but I found some wonderful Balti shops there - are they still there?

This is interesting although I can't recognise any particular place:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z69OqEmTFk"]YouTube - This Is Kings Heath - 1960[/ame]

Last edited:
Chris,
Thank you for posting the film. A trip down memory lane and I could see some locations I can recall but not necessarliy named.

The police inspector, with white traffic arm bands, must have been a posed one. In those days the inspector was a 'god' who was never seen, apart from parade time. He never came of his office let alone take on such menial tasks.
Now we seem to neither see him or his constables, unless we are quick.
Will.

Hi Chris

I found the film fascinating and although never having been a resident of Kings Heath I recognised most of places, perhaps because of, Although it being unusual most of the locations survive today.

What fascinated me more was your description of Moseley Rd, Your house you were describing. Was it South View Terrace. I remember when they tore them down and built a tyre repair depot and service station in their place. I believe they are both gone now as well.

When you were living there, I must have been living in Vincent Street at that time. Did you ever drink in the Castle or play snooker above Coooks shop?

Phil

Fred

They didn't stick you in a corner of the hall did they, at least I got a classroom.

Phil

Dennis Rd School, 1896 , C'mon Graham, own up, which one is you.

Jim sorry but I must have been off sick that day but you can just see my name carved in the desk. Those iron girders were still there the last time I looked in there!

Graham.

Hi Chris

I found the film fascinating and although never having been a resident of Kings Heath I recognised most of places, perhaps because of, Although it being unusual most of the locations survive today.

What fascinated me more was your description of Moseley Rd, Your house you were describing. Was it South View Terrace. I remember when they tore them down and built a tyre repair depot and service station in their place. I believe they are both gone now as well.

When you were living there, I must have been living in Vincent Street at that time. Did you ever drink in the Castle or play snooker above Coooks shop?

Phil

Well it's absolutely amazing that you remember South View Terrace; we were very lucky to live there in a house with a long garden, tucked away from the main roads and very private.
We would go down Vincent Street to George Street to go to mass at St John's. We left South View Terrace around 1959.
We had some characters living there: there were the Herberts in number one South View who were an elderly brother and sister; he had some kind of scoliosis of the spine and walked with a stoop and his sister wore irons on her legs. I think we lived there for about ten years and they never spoke a word to us.
In number two was Ada Melia and her husband Horace who was legally blind and deaf; he had one fifth, or something, of site in one of his eyes and wore a hearing aid; she would stay in bed whilst he would get up and light the fire for her and make her breakfast. She called him Lol and would shout down the stairs from her bed to Lol saying 'Lol!!!! I'd like a nice cup of tea and two slices of toast - and don't burn the BLEEDIN' toast.'
We heard this every day, as we lived in number three, and it made us kids laugh but when my dad wasn't there she would call us bleedin' Irish which would frighten my mother!!
Horace was a really nice bloke and would do magic tricks notwithstanding his bad site.
In number four were the Jacksons, who moved out and were replaced by an ambulance driver and his wife Mr and Mrs Alf Bull.
We used to knock about with Roger Cooke from the snooker hall who would tell tales and later became a copper.
I never went passed their shop counter when we went to call for him as they were also a tobaconists, if you can remember, and I used to fetch my dad's fags from there - Woodbines, Star or Park Drive.
We moved out of there when I was about fifteen so didn't go to any of the pubs around there although I would knock about with the Landlord's son of the Castle & Falcon who I had a fight with one day as he bullied one of my brothers. Half way through the fight, which seemed to go on for ages, his dog came for me and grabbed the bottom of my jeans and tugged. But we carried on fighting and the dog was pulling my jeans off as we struggled. So I was trying to smack him with one hand and hold my trousers up with the other; at one point I was showing my arse and got up and freed myself. He saw this, pointed at me and laughed; so I gave him another smack in the face and then the dog grabbed me again.
Jeannie Johnson from the fish and chip shop, next door to the Cook's snooker hall, went and grabbed her own dog and put it on the back of the bigger dog who still had hold of me; she said it would make the dogs mate!!!! Anyay we all ended up friends, I'm sure - even with the dog.
My dad used to drink at the Wagon and Horses and when we moved to Sparkhill and I was old enough I would go to The Mermaid on the corner of Warwick Road and Stratford Road, The Lion and the Lamb (was that in Alfred Street/Stoney Lane?) and sometimes I would take the bus up to Yardley Wood and have a drink up there in a pub on the main road.
I can never remember which school Roger Cook went to - he didn't come to Dennis Road, I'm sure or Clifton Road - maybe he went to Hope Street or Tindal Street - who knows.

Chris
I didn’t know anybody in South view terrace I just passed it regularly going from my Nan’s in Vincent Street to my Nan’s in Larches St. I knew the Cooks slightly. My niece went into partnership with one of the sons. They purchased a 100 cover restaurant (self service) in the market in Walsall I think it was called Peter Pans or something like that. The trouble is all he wanted to do was fill it with one arm bandits (another of his businesses) which drove the diners out. As she couldn’t afford to buy him out, they sold the place at a loss.

If you lived in Alfred Street, you must have known the Stokes’s. You couldn’t have missed them, mind you by the time you moved there they might have all , married and moved out, So did you drink in the Royal Oak or play snooker at Ted’s. I must sound like all I ever did was play snooker or drink well………
Phil

Phil,

It's even more amazing that you remember it - I didn't drink on a regular basis till I was well into my twenties so my trips to the pub were with my dad till I started going to the Ritz in Kings Heath and various other dance halls but we would go into the pub on the corner of Alfred Street and Stoney Lane (was that The Royal Oak) and there was another a bit further down which I used to go in for a lunch time drink from work on the corner of Stoney Lane and Highgate Road; not the big one where the number eight bus used to stop but the one further away from Stratford Road.
I can't remember the Stokes at all.
I was never good at snooker even though we had a small sized table at home - still no good. My mate used to live in the snooker hall in Ladywood on Ladywood Road - Lennie Ferris. I met him in the army cadets and he went off to join the army eventually. He could play great and was a bit of a hustler. I can't remember Roger Cook ever playing snooker though.
Another place I remember on Moseley Road was the newsagents opposite St Paul's Road - Allebones. The laziest newsagent ever; I was a paper boy there and we would be waiting outside the shop at 7.00 each morning trying to get him out of bed; then we had to put our own papers up - getting them ready to deliver - and because he often kept us waiting we would be late for school. Thinking back it really wasn't worth the eight shillings a week.

Fred thanks for sharing the photo. I'll clean it up for you in the way I did your mum's photo but it will take some hours of work to get it right for printing.

Graham.

hi Graham,
in the photo i thought it mite have been you standing behind me but it is one of the other lads you must have taken the photo.

Let's forget the photo for a minute and get back to the person who was still being breast fed at the age of 10 - unbelievable; let's hear more details Graham.

Let's forget the photo for a minute and get back to the person who was still being breast fed at the age of 10 - unbelievable; let's hear more details Graham.

Trust you Chris to be interested in that story; sorry I don't have any photos. Lol.

At N° 3 Grafton Grove (3/66, N° 3 back of 66 Leamington Road) we lived next door to the Blackburn’s and they had a daughter, Christine, who was slightly younger than I am. I sometimes had a tent in our garden and played doctors and nurses with Christine, also with Tony Reid and his sister. Christine's mum would call her in for a 'mam mam' and I stood there waiting until she had been breast fed! I found it so strange as she took Christine on her lap even though Christine was nearly as tall as her mother.

At N° 1/66 was Mrs Alderly who slept in her front room with about 100 cats in her bed! Next door at 2/66 were Mr & Mrs Wittin, a very Victorian couple who were just about the last people in Brum to have electricity installed in their house. When Mrs Wittin died in the mid-50's my mum, a war widow, married Mr Wittin and moved in with him just so that my sister Barbara and her 6 kids could have our house!

Here is a photo of N°s 3/66 and 2/66 just before they were pulled down in the 70's to make way for the Nelson Mandela School, the colour scheme is from the last Paki Balti inhabitants. 3/66 was first the home of Frederick and we lived at N° 58 Leamington Road but my mum did a house swap in the 1940's with her sister Elizabeth.

Chris does this remind you of home? Lol.

Graham.

That picture reminds me a little bit of our house number 3 South View Terrace, Moseley Road; here I am with my mother not long after we moved there - I was born in 1943 so how old do I look here - 3 or so so it would be around 1945; not long off the boat.

The story is fascinating and has gone into the file at the back of my head for future reference.

I didn't know your mom was a war widow!!

Back