• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

Bob,
if you go back to page 5 and look at the boxing photo at Terry Ward you will see he had a shorter rounder nose and squintier eyes

Bob,

he is back row third from left in the boxing photo here is a photo of him taken at my 21st birthday party he is on the right and another one he is in Grahams / Cadeaus shadow sitting with his girl friend.

does anyone remember these two from Dennis rd this was taken at the I.O.Man on the left is Chick the other is Dutch they would have left the school in 1956 i think.

Great to see those photos Fred, do you have more from your 21st party?

I've just had an email from Barry Bullivant now living down under. I'd posted him a link to this forum thread and he found it "very interesting", I hope that he joins in with us. Barry Bullivant and Mick Bennett were two kids that came begging at my door in Grafton Grove, 1963, to learn all about cycling. Barry is still racing with the Vets and Mick has just finished putting on his cycle expo at Earl's Court in London. Barry is going to post some photos to me.

Graham.

does anyone remember these two from Dennis rd this was taken at the I.O.Man on the left is Chick the other is Dutch they would have left the school in 1956 i think.

Fred, I sure do remember those faces but never knew their names.

I left most of my photos behind with mum when I moved abroad and most of them disappeared while I was away. Great stuff keep em coming.

Graham.

hi Graham,
the photos that Barry has sould be good we will see there will be some of Leamington rd i hope. i have found a negative of me at the I.O.M i will be going down town now i will get a print of it and put it on.

Hi Fred,

I knew that someone had mentioned Terry Ward but had forgotten that it was you; I only saw his name while flicking through the threads trying to catch up after my hols. Yes Fred I know that I always thought that the Arab was Barry but after finding Barry down under (I'll have to try and get him on the forum) my penny dropped that it was Terry Ward.

Bob,

Dennis Road had nothing to do with it; it was something in the water! Lol. If we made a list of the good 'uns' that came out of the area I think it would be quite long. Can't you get Powley on the forum?

Chris,

Isn't it a small world now that we can all get together again like this on the net. Wouldn't it be great if we could just re-live one of our school days with the whole bunch from 1958? Until that miracle happens this is the next best thing.

Graham.
hi .Is that the freddy foster who lived at 117 stoney lane.this is john powell who lived at 113 stoney lane.

hi .Is that the freddy foster who lived at 117 stoney lane.this is john powell who lived at 113 stoney lane.

Hi John great to see you on here! I see that you registered earlier on this year but I was then away on holiday until September.

My best memory of you was of us all playing Monopoly in your attic, do you remember that? I could see your bedroom window from my bedroom window in Grafton Grove (2/66 Leamington Rd).

PS, Frederick is my cousin Frederick Ford from 58 Leamington Road.

Graham.

Last edited:

Well at last Powellie has finally arrived,
I am playing golf with him on Sunday, I have kept my promise I only hope that he can write a few more paragraphs!
Fredrick what great photos. Where where they taken at?
And I do remember the dude on the right with the cowboy hats but can't remember his name. I was a little younger at the time (47 baby) I will ask my mate Georgie Clifton who was at our school at around that time, do you lot remember Georgie ?(Johnnie Powell does as he also plays golf at our golf club)

hi Graham,
i have alot more photos on slides of my 21st i will have to get them printed i will have a look at them today and see which ones are the best.

hi John,
and welcome nice to see you on the forum, i always thought you were braver than me some of the things you used to get upto i always liked your dad he was so leaniant he let you do what you wanted. have you got any old photos that you could put on.

Fred

hi Bob,
it was at my 21st birthday party which my parents put on for me i will have to put mroe on their mabe more faces you reconize do you know any of the band members

Fred

the party was at a pub in Digberth down a road off to the right going into town can Graham remember the name of the pub

the party was at a pub in Digberth down a road off to the right going into town can Graham remember the name of the pub

Hi Fred, the only place that I can remember down there was (I think) The Crown.

John (Powel), your garden backed onto ours and I seem to remember your dad being a pigeon fancier specializing in 'tumblers', is that correct? Have you any photos?

Graham.

The Old Crown in Deritend was hundreds of years old and it had a cafe attached to it. One morning went in there and a fella was throwing his breakfast at the woman behind the counter - maybe she gave him incorrect change or broke his egg.
Is the place still there?
Chris.

The Old Crown in Deritend was hundreds of years old and it had a cafe attached to it. One morning went in there and a fella was throwing his breakfast at the woman behind the counter - maybe she gave him incorrect change or broke his egg.
Is the place still there?
Chris.

Chris & Fred, there is a thread on this forum by Peter Walker about Deritend and there is a nice photo of The Crown taken only this year. https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15734&highlight=Crown+Deritend I seem to remember seeing 'The Dubliners' in there.

Graham.

Frederick
The only pub listed as down either milk st or floodgate st was the White swan.
Mike

Guys had a great time this morning playing golf with your old gang leader Johnnie Powell. He's a bit shy to post, you may have to coax him!!

do any of you remember the potters wheel whot a mess mud everywhere o yes clay all that co,ordination i don't think i made anything worth having how about you.

Fred

When I was at Dennis Rd the art teachers name was Cunningham, and only the elite were allowed on the potters wheel, and being the artist that I am I was never allowed within 6ft of it.

Phil

I'm another one that never saw that potters wheel even though I was a good artist and the teachers at Dennis Road all said that I should really have been in the art school on Mosley Road. I never got in there though and don't know why.

Graham.

I was terrible at art at school - but I thought that if you sat an exam for an art school you would only have to do art on that day and I loved painting and I would get to meet some girls - so I went to Moseley Road Art School for the exam and they wanted some regular work done too - maths - so that plan back fired but I did meet some girls.
A few years after I left Dennis Road School I went out with a girl from there - can't remember her name though.

Back