• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

possibly but i am just happy to be able to have a completely ad free main page.. like many members i wouldnt know how to add all the other things as not pc savvy..had to get my son to sort out the ad blocker

lyn
Lyn ask your son to down load for you, everything works just like google so there is no new learning curve.

But do not find ( or rather did not when I tried it)duck duck go as good at searching. That is the prime thing for me. Similarly when I used ( admittedly a long time ago) Firefox It was always having problems

But do not find ( or rather did not when I tried it)duck duck go as good at searching. That is the prime thing for me. Similarly when I used ( admittedly a long time ago) Firefox It was always having problems
i find that too mike, it is ok if you want free downloads of movies google seems only to put the buy or rent in the search

i find that too mike, it is ok if you want free downloads of movies google seems only to put the buy or rent in the search
DuckDuckGo was launched in 2008, since then its advanced in leaps and bounds. How long ago dI’d you Try it?
check out the link on #449. It’s free to try and who knows you may like it. Works for me on my windows computer and the Mac OS laptop, iPads and phone.

I had been thinking of trying DuckDuckgo but kept putting it off as several questions in mind
However the current copy of Computer Active, Issue 662 has a seven page feature about it.
The main question remains for me is, if I do change, what happens about my Emails, do I still need Google? Like others, not being PC savvy fearful of pressing wrong button

I had been thinking of trying DuckDuckgo but kept putting it off as several questions in mind
However the current copy of Computer Active, Issue 662 has a seven page feature about it.
The main question remains for me is, if I do change, what happens about my Emails, do I still need Google? Like others, not being PC savvy fearful of pressing wrong button
What is the last part of your email address-ie the bit after the dot? (don’t show us the first part)

I don`t think it matters what browser or search engine you use, it won`t affect gmail. Personally i don`t think duckduck search is as good as google.
Google is very good if you want to be tracked, if you don’t there are alternatives. DuckDuckGo is just one that’s been around a while and is well proven. To say one is better than the other is a matter of opinion. What suits one does not necessarily suit others. If it did we would all be driving around in one make and model car, and that would be boring. The only way to find out is to try it yourself. It’s easy to download and easy to delete if you decide it’s not for you. Alf C

I use DDG as the default search engine for the Safari browser. It anonymises your search and uses Bing and Yahoo for results. No effect on other applications such as email. I find the results returned much cleaner than those from Google, which do seem to have a bias based on what you searched for in the past and wants to push you in certain directions. Bing probably does that too if you use it directly, but with DDG it doesn't have your history to bias the results.
Andrew.

I use DDG as the default search engine for the Safari browser. It anonymises your search and uses Bing and Yahoo for results. No effect on other applications such as email. I find the results returned much cleaner than those from Google, which do seem to have a bias based on what you searched for in the past and wants to push you in certain directions. Bing probably does that too if you use it directly, but with DDG it doesn't have your history to bias the results.
Andrew.
Andrew I cannot find any reference to DDG using Bing and Yahoo, for results. Where is this information listed?

win did a update on my pc even though i was on pause:( when it re started the network driver was missing so no internet i try'd most of the night trying to sort it.
how could i get a new driver off the www without a network. i reloaded win 10 that took hours and was a waste of time still no driver.
in the end i had to sort out the old laptop again go on the web down load a new driver onto a stick and load that onto the desktop . that did the trick "Oorah.

Last edited:
Andrew I cannot find any reference to DDG using Bing and Yahoo, for results. Where is this information listed?
Chunky, I have found that Bing/Microsoft have their own agenda. I know that Andrew has give you the information you need but I have found that Google is less biased as a search engine.

I've never had a problem with Windows since I bought my first computer for my business from Dixons back in around 1984, never bothered with all the other nerdy set ups.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
exactly richard...as long as i can use emails..store my collection of old photos which is my passion and use this forum without hinderance i am a happy bunny..i need nothing more :D

lyn
I use W11 and Outlook/office because I need them for my consulting practice. My wife has an iPad Pro and does as you do, prints the occasional things, watches e sewing videos, she is very pleased!

Back