• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

To be honest I don't worry about tracking cookies, once a week/month I clear them out with https://www.superantispyware.com/free-edition.html.

I run Chrome, Brave, Torch, Opera and Firefox browsers, mostly Chrome. People worry far far too much about cookies and for that matter virus infections. I run multiple Windows computers in the home and the man cave, I keep Windows Defender up dated and don't have issues.

Its much quicker to just accept the cookies and have a clear out periodically if you feel the need to IMHO...and its less stressful ;)

At the moment I don't seem to have a problem with the "cookies" side of things but the ads are driving me mad. At the moment typing this there is a flashing ad at the top of the screen and an ad on a banner at the bottom. I can cope with that but I also get video ads which pop up as and when they feel like it (so it seems)and in different places. Yes - they go when I click the cross but then another one appears.
I use my laptop for main replies but also check the forum on my phone and things are slightly different.
Ads appear between posts on a thread making reading down several posts tricky.

I just thought I would post a few images to see if others are getting the same. These are from my laptop.

Attachments

• laptop full screen.jpg
    laptop full screen.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • laptop video.jpg
    laptop video.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 17
  • laptop 3.jpg
    laptop 3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 14
  • ad between posts.jpg
    ad between posts.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
At the moment I don't seem to have a problem with the "cookies" side of things but the ads are driving me mad. At the moment typing this there is a flashing ad at the top of the screen and an ad on a banner at the bottom. I can cope with that but I also get video ads which pop up as and when they feel like it (so it seems)and in different places. Yes - they go when I click the cross but then another one appears.
I use my laptop for main replies but also check the forum on my phone and things are slightly different.
Ads appear between posts on a thread making reading down several posts tricky.

I just thought I would post a few images to see if others are getting the same. These are from my laptop.
Janice, I have the same thing! It seems sometimes to be stopping or pausing responses! My phone and computer are also slightly different from my tablet which I am using now.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that if a button or link is towards the bottom right of the screen then I can't click it.

It is as if the ad banner is blocking it even though it isn't. If I can't scroll the button up then I have to refresh and (if my message reappears) click post before the banner resets.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that if a button or link is towards the bottom right of the screen then I can't click it.

It is as if the ad banner is blocking it even though it isn't. If I can't scroll the button up then I have to refresh and (if my message reappears) click post before the banner resets.
MWS, you have to push up the screen view, I did exactly that with my response.
BTW, if you are thinking of going to Bentonville, it’s a pretty neat place. Walmarts headquarters. They spent a lot of $$$ to make it a really great place to visit!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Richard, I scroll it up as far as I can, the bottom banner sits over the bottom of the page, ending just below Advice (which I can click). The post reply button is much higher (relatively speaking) but on the other side and I can't click it.

As I said I have to refresh then quickly click.

I get that on my laptop although I can usually manage to move the page.

I know this may sound smug, but it really isnt.
What adverts ? What videos ?
If I saw that ***** while I was browsing this site, or others, there would be dents in my ceiling where the computer hit it. Julie would have strong words about her favourite sites too.
There is a lot of good technical advice up this thread, but iit is exactly that, technical. I would venture that for most people the advice goes over their head, and they silently scream.
I use a carefully chosen VPN, (whats that ? is a perfectly valid response). My phone, tablet, laptop and desktop all have the same view of websites.
But I have made my career in computer stuff. Nerd is an acceptable retort here.
Perhaps someone can look at the per capita return on adverts, and set an equivalent subscription rate, removing advertising completely for subscribers. And yes I know that setting up formal payment processing would be a chore, just build it into the cost.

Andrew.

Richard, I scroll it up as far as I can, the bottom banner sits over the bottom of the page, ending just below Advice (which I can click). The post reply button is much higher (relatively speaking) but on the other side and I can't click it.

Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the banner?

There isn't now, there might have been previously.

FreeBMD has a similar banner and that has an arrow to minimise it but as soon as you go to another page it comes right back.

There isn't now, there might have been previously.

FreeBMD has a similar banner and that has an arrow to minimise it but as soon as you go to another page it comes right back.
That how they work! The minute you move it reverts back.

Perhaps someone can look at the per capita return on adverts, and set an equivalent subscription rate, removing advertising completely for subscribers. And yes I know that setting up formal payment processing would be a chore, just build it into the cost.

Andrew.
I would be happy to pay in that way. (My husband uses a music site which runs in that way).
At the moment I donate regularly and attend meets (when we have them) buying raffle tickets to support the Forum but am loath to continue if I am bombarded with ads which generate an income.
As a non geek I have no idea of the costs involved in the running of the website - I assume it is cheaper as Warren runs things for us. Perhaps someone can enlighten us mere mortals of rough running costs versus rough income (donations plus meets)?

Warren? Jim? Any answers?

I am not trying to cause trouble but am genuinely puzzled why this change from a few months ago.

Last edited:
i have now turned off my ad blocker etc. and restarted the forum all i see is a blank between pjmburns post and my reply ..NO ADVERTS AT ALL but there is a transparent band at the bottom of the screen.and if i click reply all goes black and a notice comes up exit full screen and nothing happens so i had o put the extention back on to post this

i have now turned off my ad blocker etc. and restarted the forum all i see is a blank between pjmburns post and my reply ..NO ADVERTS AT ALL but there is a transparent band at the bottom of the screen.and if i click reply all goes black and a notice comes up exit full screen and nothing happens so i had o put the extention back on to post this
I have two adds and a video at the bottom of my screen as I send/type this and will need to scroll up to hit post reply.

unless i put adblocker plus back on the pc goes mad i cant post a reply or see anything if i do click on post reply very weird

I use the DuckDuckGo browser and have none of the mentioned, except for a small transparent band at the bottom of the screen. However sometimes their is difficulty in posting, but closing and opening again excepts the post.

Just tried using Safari and all the above come up !

I use the DuckDuckGo browser and have none of the mentioned, except for a small transparent band at the bottom of the screen. However sometimes their is difficulty in posting, but closing and opening again excepts the post.
like wize pedrocut, dont matter what i use bing firefox google duckduck with out a ad blocker i cant do anything the screen goes blank

Last edited:
Back