• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children of William Foden

Attaching the Gravestone Inscription from Caleb Foden 1805-1885 Grave at Aston Church.Second Wife was Sarah Smith, they Married in 1869.

Attachments

• Gravestone Inscription Caleb Foden.jpg
    Gravestone Inscription Caleb Foden.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 14
Anybody help me with the Death Date/Place of John Foden(Born 28 Oct 1893, Great Barr), grandson of Wm F 1830 through Isaac?I have him Marrying an Elizabeth Hinks in Q2 1926.In the 1939 they at Oaklands Farm, Meriden.When Elizabeth Dies 14 Jan 1946 Probate says Widow abode Yardley.
Also, was Elizabeth Married before?What was her birth name?

And I'm sending these pages from Linn Cutler's Family Bible showing how close the Fodens were to him, he records Elizabeth and Caleb Deaths.
Headstones recorded by BMSGH at Erdington Parish Church, St Barnabas ( and the following by courtesy of Marion Hall of Streetly).
Ellen Cutler . Third and beloved daughter of Linn. & Harriet Cutler died March 18th aged 10 months
She drooped like a flower that was nipped in the bud
She has gone to repose with the gentle and the good
The love that we bore her is still in our brest
Till we meet her again in the realm of the Blest

She also noted the inscription for Florence, daughter who died 1886 at 27 days.
This fleeting flower so fair and sweet, God deemed too pure on earth to stay, and called her home where we shall meet upon the ressurection day.

For Pedrocut

Burial Inscriptions, Short Heath Erdington

In affectionate remembrance of ELIZABETH daughter of JEREMIAH and EMMA CUTLER
who died April 19th 1868 aged 3 years and 11 months.
Our child that moulders in the tomb was beautiful from birth
We fondly thought to see her bloom, a lovely flower on earth,
But she was born for better things. The high decree was given.
The Holy angles stooped their wings and wafted her to Heaven.

Also ELLEN sister of the above who died February 18th 1869 aged 2 years.
This lovely bud so young and fair called hence by early doom
Just come to show how sweet a flower in paradise could bloom

Also of JEREMIAH CUTLER who died August 26th 1890 aged 51 years.
Now let our sorrows cease to flow. God has recalled his own.
But let our hearts in every woe still say - Thy will be done.

Also of EMMA wife of the above who died April 23rd 1896 aged 56 years.

Last edited:
I posted on the Perry Village Thread that the Lord Calthorpe land sale in 1920 included 14 important farms.

Most interesting. I imagine most of the tenant farmers would have liked to buy their farms at the time. I wonder how many actually did.

As Booth’s Farm Land was purchased by Sir Holburt Jacob Waring of Wimpole Street in London In 1921, and later Arthur Foden obtained all but the mineral rights, it may be that land speculators would be interested. They would outbid the tenents ?

Last edited:
As Booth’s Farm Land was purchased by Sir Holburt Jacob Waring of Wimpole Street in London In 1921, and later Arthur Foden obtained all but the mineral rights, it may be that land speculators would be interested. They would outfit the tenents ?
I guess only the very rich farmers got the chance to buy. The others wouldn't have been able to put up a fight against the Londoners.

Hi this i have read from start a lot of people have put a lot of hard work in here i find it all really interesting as i lived on blakeland farm i may have missed the bit about polly foden 1901 census boars head daughter of owner born handsworth who owned boars head who is polly.

Hi, I'm afraid I haven't found anything on Polly Foden and the Boars Head Handsworth, nor anything in the 1901 census. Would Polly be her pet name ?
That's interesting to know you lived on Blakelands farm, what was it like at that time?

Polly, Pol is a usually a name used for girls called Mary.

She appears to be the daughter or possibly step daughter of John Foden b1864 Perry Barr, son of William Foden b1830 Erdington.

John is listed as a Licensed Victualler & Farmer in Perry Barr in 1901, assumng that's at the Boar's Head.

Hi i have found some old papers might shed a bit of light is polly spencer polly foden. Have not come across a picture of blakeland farm yet but this picture of booths farm is how i remember blakeland farm if you take the last part on the right off. lots of people will have pictures but not know what it was called we where caretakers of cadwalladers we lived in the house so our address was blakeland farm that is why we remember the name,henry bramwell owned in 1945 frank cadwallader bought it about 1955 it is now perry locks care home.
img162.jpgimg162.jpg

Attachments

• img165.jpg
    img165.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 12
  • img164.jpg
    img164.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 10
In this instance though she is registered as Pollie, the daughter of Emma Williams and her first husband, Harry Spencer.
Yes, Pollie(1879) and her sister Gertrude Isabel(1881)Spencer were the daus of Harry Spencer and Emma Elizabeth Williams who had Married 31 Oct 1878, St Andrew's, Bordesley.They Divorced in 1886(Nisi),1887(Final).
Emma Married John Foden Q4 1889.In 1891, Pollie and Gertrude Spencer rel to Head:-Step-Daus.
In 1901, Pollie and Gertrude "Foden" rel to Head "Daus"

Yes, Pollie(1879) and her sister Gertrude Isabel(1881)Spencer were the daus of Harry Spencer and Emma Elizabeth Williams who had Married 31 Oct 1878, St Andrew's, Bordesley.They Divorced in 1886(Nisi),1887(Final).
Emma Married John Foden Q4 1889.In 1891, Pollie and Gertrude Spencer rel to Head:-Step-Daus.
In 1901, Pollie and Gertrude "Foden" rel to Head "Daus"
So Pollie / Polly was a daughter of Harry Spencer & Emma Elizabeth Williams. Emma went on to marry again with John Foden who died in 1904 at the Royal Oak.

Not sure she did.In the 1901, Step-dad John Foden is head aged 40 at Boar's Head.In 1902 Pollie(y) Marries Robert Nelson Wright and is Baptising a son in Middlesex in 1903.Dont think she ever returns to Perry Barr.
Incidently, sister Gertrude Marries on the same day a Harry Heeley.

Just reading Emma Elizabeth Spencer's Divorce Petition I found on Ancestry.Harry Spencer sounds like a bad guy.It seems he moves to South Africa on 7 Apr 1881.Emma is left with Pollie aged 2 the following month and Gertrude is Born 25 May.
Harry meets a Winifred Ryan and has 5 more kids out there.

Emma didn't have much chance with the first 2 men she married, and she had no choice except to remarry again so as to have someone to feed her & the children. Let's hope it's 3rd time lucky.

Back