• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children of William Foden

So who was Caleb and Joshua's father? One John Foden on the 1841 Census, (50), and down as a Hay Trusser, living in Bell Lane, Erdington is too young, but could he be a brother to Caleb and Joshua?

Nothing certain but I'd guess, going on the names of his children, that he was the eldest brother.

Possibly sons of the John who died in 1829 and another Sarah.

Children of the elder John & Sarah...

John 1789
Francis 1792
Henry 1794
Mary Ann 1796
Elizabeth 1798
Hannah 1801
Joshua 1803
Caleb 1805
Eliza 1807
Sarah 1810

Children of younger John & Sarah Fitton/Flitton...

John 1809
Mary Ann 1812
Isaac 1815
Esther 1818
Matthew 1820
Ann 1822
William 1825
Caleb 1829

THE CUTLER CONNECTION

Coming forward a few years, I have been trying to understand the connection between the Fodens and the Cutlers. The following is an interpretation of what I think some of the earlier posts have been saying and is supplemented with some new information which I have now received.

I believe that the grandchildren of Caleb (1805) and Elizabeth Wells, via George (1833 who married Sarah Goodwin) included:

George Frederick (1862/3) who married Alice Eliza Lees
John Charles (? 1864)
Emma (? 1866)
Harriet (1871)

If that is correct, George Frederick's siblings married as follows:
John Charles married Ellen Cutler
Emma married Jeremiah Cutler (Pedrocut's ancestor)
Harriet married Linnaeus (b.1841,Witton) on 1st February 1871 at St Peter and St Paul's, Aston

How closely these various Cutlers were related, I don't know.

Linnaeus and Harriet ran the Irish Harp between 1886 and 1905. Images of them both have survived. Amongst their children was Linnaeus C. Linnaeus C and his wife produced Linnaeus William Cutler (1897-1956); he later married Elsie May Hall (1896-1963).

Linnaeus William went on to own Cutler's Garage which stood next door to the Hardwick Arms in Streetly on the Chester Road. I am unclear when it started but it was certainly operating in the 1930s and 1940s and survived for many years after the war before its eventual demolition and replacement by a block of apartments. I have several very clear memories of it in the war years and immediately afterwards, as well as a few images.

Linnaeus William lived in the 1940s in Wood Lane, Streetly and had, I believe, three children; two sons have passed away but a daughter survives. I have contact with her.

The Foden/Cutler involvement in the motor trade is of interest. Earlier in this thread we have learned that there was a Foden and Walters Garage in Burnett Road, Streetly, in the 1920s. There was also, later than that, a large commercial vehicle garage a few hundred yards away from the Hardwick on the corner of Foley and Chester Roads (it may be still there, for all I know). In my childhood in the 1940s this was always known as "Foden's Garage". I never knew whether this was an indication of ownership or of one make of motor lorry which was serviced there. If it had been the latter I assume that the name would have more likely been been "the Foden Garage". So perhaps the Fodens added the motor trade to their successful farming and pub interests.

Anyway, that's a few more pinches to add to the pot. If anyone can easily check my interpretation of the siblings of George Frederick, I should be grateful.

Chris

They weren't George Frederick's siblings, they were his aunts and uncle.

George Frederick's father, George b1833 was their brother.

Isn't there a date disparity, MWS? George b.1833 - but these three b. 1864-1871?

Chris

No Chris, you're a generation out. John was born 1838, Emma was 1839 & Harriet 1844.

In your post #93, you have given Harriet's birth as 1871 and her marriage also as 1871. The latter is correct.

Caleb Foden's children who married with Cutlers:
Emma b1840 m: 1863 Jeremiah Cutler b 1839
John 1838 m: 1870 Ellen Cutler b 1836
Harriet 1844 m:1871 Linnaeus Cutler 1841

George Frederick 1863 m: 1885 Alice E Lees. Their parents were George & Sarah Goodwin, & George is son of Caleb.

I think I have put this on the Forum before, but be warned you don’t mess about with the Foden girls...April 1859..

AF1D28C7-4CF6-4D87-91E1-51EE6AD9A0EF.jpeg

I see the Hardwick Inn /Arms is mentionned a few times here. Hope not to make the fog thicker than it is, but my grandfather James, who had the garage in Burnett Road, lived with his father parents on Chester Road, very near or just in front of the Hardwick. In fact he called his business the Hardwicke Nurseries. This was however in the 1920's.

No Chris, you're a generation out. John was born 1838, Emma was 1839 & Harriet 1844.
In your post #93, you have given Harriet's birth as 1871 and her marriage also as 1871. The latter is correct.

Thanks, MWS, yes, agreed.

(Hope the rough notes made by others on the earlier posts are less rough than mine!!)

Chris

I see the Hardwick Inn /Arms is mentionned a few times here. Hope not to make the fog thicker than it is, but my grandfather James, who had the garage in Burnett Road, lived with his father parents on Chester Road, very near or just in front of the Hardwick. In fact he called his business the Hardwicke Nurseries. This was however in the 1920's.

Online information suggests that Hardwick Nurseries, in Hardwick Road which runs off the Chester Road, was by 1937 owned by a man named Timmings. (That name resonates with me from the 1940s and they had a greengrocers/?plant shop on the corner of Foley Road). All this, the Hardwick Arms and Cutler's Garage lay within a radius of a few hundred yards.

Chris

THE CUTLER CONNECTION

Coming forward a few years, I have been trying to understand the connection between the Fodens and the Cutlers. The following is an interpretation of what I think some of the earlier posts have been saying and is supplemented with some new information which I have now received.

I believe that the grandchildren of Caleb (1805) and Elizabeth Wells, via George (1833 who married Sarah Goodwin) included:

George Frederick (1862/3) who married Alice Eliza Lees
John Charles (? 1864)
Emma (? 1866)
Harriet (1871)

If that is correct, George Frederick's siblings married as follows:
John Charles married Ellen Cutler
Emma married Jeremiah Cutler (Pedrocut's ancestor)
Harriet married Linnaeus (b.1841,Witton) on 1st February 1871 at St Peter and St Paul's, Aston

How closely these various Cutlers were related, I don't know.

Linnaeus and Harriet ran the Irish Harp between 1886 and 1905. Images of them both have survived. Amongst their children was Linnaeus C. Linnaeus C and his wife produced Linnaeus William Cutler (1897-1956); he later married Elsie May Hall (1896-1963).

Linnaeus William went on to own Cutler's Garage which stood next door to the Hardwick Arms in Streetly on the Chester Road. I am unclear when it started but it was certainly operating in the 1930s and 1940s and survived for many years after the war before its eventual demolition and replacement by a block of apartments. I have several very clear memories of it in the war years and immediately afterwards, as well as a few images.

Linnaeus William lived in the 1940s in Wood Lane, Streetly and had, I believe, three children; two sons have passed away but a daughter survives. I have contact with her.

The Foden/Cutler involvement in the motor trade is of interest. Earlier in this thread we have learned that there was a Foden and Walters Garage in Burnett Road, Streetly, in the 1920s. There was also, later than that, a large commercial vehicle garage a few hundred yards away from the Hardwick on the corner of Foley and Chester Roads (it may be still there, for all I know). In my childhood in the 1940s this was always known as "Foden's Garage". I never knew whether this was an indication of ownership or of one make of motor lorry which was serviced there. If it had been the latter I assume that the name would have more likely been been "the Foden Garage". So perhaps the Fodens added the motor trade to their successful farming and pub interests.

Anyway, that's a few more pinches to add to the pot. If anyone can easily check my interpretation of the siblings of George Frederick, I should be grateful.

Chris

1592899633961.png
Burnett Road, Streetly

Louisa Foden , born 1872, and the youngest of Henry’s and Maria’s children, went to work with her uncle John and aunty Ellen in 1891 where she helped them out at the Bush Inn, in New Oscott and where she had the company of Harriet their only daughter. A year later, when she was 20, she married Thomas J. Wells.
They lived in a 3 roomed cottage which was put to their disposal by the Wells family of Warren farm and Pool farm in Erdington; Thomas and his brother Charles were the bailiffs.
Nineteen years later, in 1911, Louisa was still at N°2 Pool farm cottage and had 4 children: George Henry, Philip John, Horace Wilfred and Mary Elizabeth.
Pool Farm cottages today.
1592899944997.png
Image courtesy of Lyn “Astoness”

I think this is a view of the road, facing away from the Streetly Village end and towards its junction with Hardwick Road. It looks like the 1920s. If the Foden garage is still there, you can’t see it, unfortunately. If I had to make a guess I would say that its site was just off the edge of the photograph, to the right.

Last edited:
There's a mention of a John Foden in Aris's Birmingham Gazette of 6th, 13th & 20th June 1825 in regards the selling of a leasehold in Erdington opposite The Green Man.

Could this John Foden, mentioned in 1825, be Caleb's father ?

A John Foden died in 1829 and is buried in Aston Parish Church. His birth date is given as about 1766. Looking there for a John Foden who was born around 1766 points to the one who was born in Cheshire, and this is the suggested link on Ancestry.

There is a marriage in 1790 between a John and Sarah Foden at Yardley.

DF67CD56-A305-4F81-A38F-4B2499908583.jpeg

I would guess that it is the father and the marriage in Yardley ties in with John Foden (son) the Hay Trusser, he lists his birth place as Yardley in 1851.

I mentioned in an earlier post that there was a John Foden baptised in Walsall in 1766, so his origins are not certain.

When Caleb married Elizabeth in 1829, the marriage was witnessed by a Joshua and Sarah Foden. There are candidates in the 1841 census for Joshua and Sarah, both 35 and living in Marsh Lane. Joshua is marked as a gardener.
Caleb is a Publican in Marsh Lane and he has an Agricultural Labourer by the name of Charles Wells living there. Could this be a brother of Elizabeth (formerly Wells) ?

Is Joshua a brother of Caleb ?

Well Joshua was also married in July 1829 in Edgbaston and the witnesses were Elizabeth and Caleb Foden.

In 1851 Sale of freehold residence and cottage house with large productive gardens etc. Marsh Lane in the occupation of Joshua Fedon and Thomas Reynolds.

There are also others of the name Wells in Marsh Lane.
I have found :
John Foden of Erdington + Sarah
11 children:
1801/1805? Hannah 1803 Joshua 1805 Calib 1807 Eliza 1809 John 1810 Sarah 1812 Mary Ann
1815 Isaac 1818 Esther 1820 Matthew 1822 Ann
Here we have the 2 brothers at ages that seem to right for marriages in 1829.

I haven't yet found any birth or marriage dates for John & Sarah

I have John Foden & Ellen Cutler at the Bush Inn in 1891, which was at New Oscot. It later became known as the Beggars Bush.

There is a thread entitled Beggar’s Bush....I am not convinced it was ever called “the Bush” except by locals ?

Just found this thread.William Foden, 20 Feb 1830, Aston was my 3rd Great-Uncle.He Died 15 Jul 1885 Perry Barr Common.
Marr Eliza Horton(1824-1885)on 11 Feb 1850 St Peter and St Paul's, Aston.
Children:-
Ellen Horton Foden 1849-1922
Caleb 1851-1851
Caleb 1852-1886
Elizabeth 1855-?
William George 1857-?
Isaac 1859-1923
Louisa Mary 1861-1934
John 1864-1904
Emma 1865-?
Charles 1867-?
All are welcome to look at my Jonathan Stanley Family Tree on Ancestry

A couple of fragments, Glennys, before I forget them.

In 1824, some Ancient British relics were discovered at Gainsborough - then known as Greensborough - Hill Farm. Being contacted about them in 1957, Harold Foden mentioned that his family had occupied the farm for 60 years....
(Source: Stonnall History website)

Margaret Newbold married Eddie Foden of Gainsborough Hill Farm at St. Peter's Church, Little Aston - unknown date, I would guess 1960s/70s.
(Source: Sutton Coldfield History social media site)

Chris
From freeBMD Edgar Foden=Margaret N Newbold Q2 1963 Lichfield RD

I have found :
John Foden of Erdington + Sarah
11 children:
1801/1805? Hannah 1803 Joshua 1805 Calib 1807 Eliza 1809 John 1810 Sarah 1812 Mary Ann
1815 Isaac 1818 Esther 1820 Matthew 1822 Ann
Here we have the 2 brothers at ages that seem to right for marriages in 1829.

I haven't yet found any birth or marriage dates for John & Sarah
In fact I doubled the findings of MWS there! Sorry.

Back