• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bundy clocks around birmingham

HI Lyn - yes - think the first one I had posted previously. Adderley St dump was a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon when you had some film for your camera - no-one bothered that you were there in those days.........

I know there was one in the centre of Stratford Road at the Hall Green terminus. (By where Tesco is now). That is the boundary between Birmingham and Solihull. The Corporation buses turned round there. There was a cut through in the central reservation - with bus stops, benches (I think) and a bundy clock. Drivers changed over there as well.
Oddly enough the bus drivers still change over there in both directions but at two ordinary bus stops (one outside the carpet warehouse and one opposite there).
Found these 2 photos on flickr

There were Bundy Clocks at all termini and change over points at the cities boundaries were BCT routes, in conjunction with other authorities were made .eg. West Bromwich.

Janice,
with reference to the clock by Swanshurst Park this was for buses going in the direction of Kings Heath. Hope this makes sense now. ;)

Janice,
with reference to the clock by Swanshurst Park this was for buses going in the direction of Kings Heath. Hope this makes sense now. ;)
That's what I thought originally but then got confused - easily done.
They still change drivers by the bridge over the Cole that you referred to.

There was a Bundy clock near the top end of Brandwood Park Road at least until the 1980s, and another one at The Fold at Pool Farm which was the terminus for the No.35 bus.

Came across this photograph of a Bundy clock in Cotteridge dated 1987 when it was no longer in use. I think the brick building is still there and looks interesting. Anyone know what it was used for?

1718027565051.jpeg

The Bundy Clock, if there was one, would definitely been on the opposite side of Icknield Street opposite the Royal Mint PH. There was a Bundy Clock situated on the bridge by Monument Lane railway station which is in the same direction as shown by the number 8 bus. There would not have be two clocks in such a short distance of one another in the same direction of travel.

hi alan as we now know there was a bundy clock outside no 203 icknield st with the no 8 heading towards hockley...what side of the road was the monument road bundy clock. i was told it was almost next to the bridge inn heading towards hagley road

here is the icknield street clock
and the monument road bridge clockImage1The_Bridge_Inn_Monument_Rd.jpg

lyn.icknield st no 203.jpeg

Last edited:
You are right Lyn. I had thought the the Monument Road clock was in the Spring Hill direction. You must remember the last time I was on the 8 was in 1954. Well you solved it which is good/

You are right Lyn. I had thought the the Monument Road clock was in the Spring Hill direction. You must remember the last time I was on the 8 was in 1954. Well you solved it which is good/

thats ok alan my memory is not as good either but at least we now know...

lyn

thats ok alan my memory is not as good either but at least we now know...

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes, subject closed but, I've noticed that my post on this very topic is #10 on this thread and also #471 on the Icknield St thread. Is it okay just to leave it?
Also, I wrote a post on my Bundy Clock experience, thinking it was on this thread but, it's #478 on the Icknield thread.
I feel foolish having a post on Icknield St thread that has nothing to do with it so, shall I re-post it on this thread?

Hi Lyn, yes, subject closed but, I've noticed that my post on this very topic is #10 on this thread and also #471 on the Icknield St thread. Is it okay just to leave it?
Also, I wrote a post on my Bundy Clock experience, thinking it was on this thread but, it's #478 on the Icknield thread.
I feel foolish having a post on Icknield St thread that has nothing to do with it so, shall I re-post it on this thread?

dont worry banjo i think it was mike who was moving posts so i will ask him to take a look at this post and see what he can do

lyn

I was trying to move or copy posts from the icknield st thread that were relevant to the new thread. I think it is relevant to both ethreads

Last edited:
I worked at Coventry Rd garage 1968-1973 firstly as a conductor then as a driver. They only had Daimler Fleetline CRG6 buses when I came out driving but they were still two man operated. I drove both garage routes 53 - 54 Stechford & 58 - 60 Boundry (nicknamed "the monkeys" by Stechford crews) and remember "pegging" the Bundy clock at each terminus: Stechford, Shirestone Rd, Cranes Park Rd & the Arden Oak ( later moved out further to a layby along the Coventry Rd). It's funny how many kids wanted their hands stamped. I sometimes pinched a minute at Cranes Park Rd in the hope I could catch a 58 at the Wheatsheaf where we could "ride tandem" into town. When I left I had to hand back my key. The only thing I have now are my badges.
60 bus.jpg
No Bundy clock at city Terminus.

Back