• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Buildings at risk

Sounds like a good plan to me, rather than it become completely derelict and beyond saving. Would make a very nice place to live in and would retain some of the history of the area (providing planning permission is properly applied). A very nice buiding loaded with interesting features.

quite agree viv..its been neglected for far too long

Sounds like a good plan to me, rather than it become completely derelict and beyond saving. Would make a very nice place to live in and would retain some of the history of the area (providing planning permission is properly applied). A very nice buiding loaded with interesting features.
Great idea!

I think those were particular schemes Phil, which had special funding. My info is probably a bit out of date (like 20 years) but on the grade 2 Georgian terrace in Chichester, where I was brought up, there were no grants for windows, only for very basic things like inside toilets andnbathrooms, and I think this was still so up till about 2000 at least
Mike

When we worked on the Urban Renewal & Envelope Schemes in the 70's & 80's most of the work consisted of 95% grants and in some circumstances 100% all windows and doors that were replaced were single glazed wooden units and were made to look like sash cord windows even if they were top opening. If windows were metal or UVPC double glazed then in most cases they were left in situ.
Yes I used to live in Brookfield Terrace (off Western Road B18), and when I bought the terrace it was previously “enveloped” in the 80/s or 90s ( not sure). New wooden windows which looked like sashes, central heating , dpc. I think BCC got some sort of urban renewal grant spot do this when the newer canal side townhouses were built round the corner to stop the old Victorian housing stock degenerating further.

Back