• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a site on facebook called Bostin all about the black country worth a vist

My stepmother used to call cockroaches 'Blackbats' was this just one of her made up names, or does someone else remember that one?

Maggs

My dad always called the butterfly a bobhowler Mossy thats why he planted a budlea tree shrub in the middle of our garden. Jean.

It was always said if you were canny or lucky or was jammy enough to 'get away with something' - you would fall off Lewis's roof and land in a new suit!

Jan

Yes 'Up the wooden hill's' it was. I always used to get itchy when I was tired and as soon as I started to scratch it was up to bed with me. I got wise to this and used to disguise the scratching..never got away with it though.

My stepmother used to say 'You can always stoop down and pick nothing up' It took me years to work out what that mean't. I know now, and I believe it to be true.

Oh, how I have enjoyed reading all your sayings and it certainly brings many to mind.
If someone asked what something cost (you NEVER did this to a Brummie) my mom would always reply, 'Money and fair words.'
She always used the word 'fizz-ogg' for face.
If you asked what was for tea she would say, 'Chicken with rag on.'
When I was wingeing because having my hair combed was hurting she would say, 'Pride has a pinch.' For years I thought Pride was another little girl.
If something was unbelieveable it was 'All my eye and Kitty Blewitt.'
If she didn't care about something she 'Didn't give a carrot.'
If I aked, 'Can I have...........?' she'd reply, 'And the suet.'
If something was at least acceptable she'd say it's 'Better than a slap in the eye with a wet fish.'
When my little sister had messed in her nappy she would ask, 'You dropped yer luch have yer?'

Just thought I'd share a few memories. So glad to have joined you.

God bless,

Maggie

welcome maggie really enjoyed reading that made me laugh forgot all about fizz hog haha

jean

i often heard the women saying to when asked how are they especialy the old dears
how are you ; the replywould be yes; i,m all featherd , cleaned .and dusted .thank you
and i am going to put my feet up now and i am going to have a cup of tea .
this was from a very elderly lady whom lived next to the dairy in pershore rd many years ago
best wishes astonian ;

This is reminding me of a few from my youth...

Fizog = Face ('Moosh' also was used for face)
Lughole = Ear
Conk = Nose
Gob = Mouth
Pinkie = Finger
Pooped = Exhausted
Manky = Rough ("I feel a bit manky today")
Jiggered = Amazed ("Well, I'll be jiggered!")
Got the screaming habdabs = scared out of his wits
Ar*e about face = back to front
The Beak = Headmaster, Judge, Magistrate or similar high authority
Bellyache = Complain too much
Blabbermouth = one who tells on others / gives secrets away
Blag = to persuade others by lying ("He blagged his way out of trouble")
Bodge = bad or temporary job / repair
Paddy = bad temper ("He got in a right paddy about it")
Parky = cold OR a park-keeper
Clodhopper = heavy or oversized shoe or boot
Lippy = rude ("Don't you get lippy with me!")

and a few more unprintable ones!

Now you mention them Lloyd I remember them all. If we did anything that resulted in minor injury Dad would say "where was your common sense". Relating to an earlier post, both Mom and Dad would visit the Lar-Pom. Mom was born in London and Dad was born in Aston so I do not know if the use of the phrase was widespread or if one of them copied it from the other.

Now you mention them Lloyd I remember them all. If we did anything that resulted in minor injury Dad would say "where was your common sense". Relating to an earlier post, both Mom and Dad would visit the Lar-Pom. Mom was born in London and Dad was born in Aston so I do not know if the use of the phrase was widespread or if one of them copied it from the other.

Hi there

A lot of people have mentioned the Lar Pom. I've not heard it myself,
nor has my wife who was born a Brummie, - unlike me, but I can't
help wondering if it is maybe a corruption of a French expression
brought back by soldiers of WW1 and is actually La something or other.

Rather like 'manky' which I think originates from 'manque' (the e should have an acute accent but I can't find it!!)

Kind regards

Dave

17th July 2009 is going to be "Talk like a Brummie day" - https://talklikeabrummieday.co.uk/

See also https://talklikeabrummieday.co.uk/talk-like-a-brummie-day-dictionary/ for a few more "Brummieisms" - I remember a few of them

Any road up = Anyway; to cut a story short; back to the point
Deaf = forget, abandon ("Shall we deaf it?" = Let’s not bother)
Deffed out = deliberately left behind, not included

Deffo = Definately, for sure

Cob = a bread roll/bap
Gully = a passageway between terraced houses
Tun Dish = A funnel (for pouring liquids into e.g. bottle necks)
Crash = Share (Crash the ash = Share your cigarettes)
Crash out = sleep
Cowin' = mild swear word, like "Flippin"
Dim as a toc-h lamp = stupid, thick

Very good Maggie, I remember some of those too. My step mother would say 'what they no and tuppence wouldn't get their hair cut' and 'what a mess and no paper.

When the kids got older and wanted to do something the parents didn't approve of (and which might be damaging to them) the parents would say, 'Better faceache now than heartache later.'

You know, I keep thinking of more as I go about the daily grind. Must keep a pencil and paper handy!

Maggie

I have just thought of another saying my step mother used to say it was 'They are all kippers and curtains' does anyone remember that?

Yes Ray, definitely Mardy, it mean't we were grizzly and long faced didn't it? Or to be rude, I used to hea, got the proverbial in her hand.

Hello Maggs. Yes I remember the saying 'Kippers and curtains' - never knew what it meant tho. I know what it means now - but still don't understand what kippers and curtains have to do with being 'posh'.

Al's granny used to say to him - 'you'll have more than a peck of dirt before you die' - 'san fairy Ann ?

I 've always called James 'my bublet' even on the 6th May when he was 40 - Oh mom, not again he says. Miriam.

Yes Maggs,I know what you had in your hand.
An earlier one,was jackbannocks,well,remember the "nit nurse",thats what it was head lice.

It probably mean't that perhaps kippers where a cheap meal, and the offenders were putting the show of the curtains before their belly's. Or putting on a show with nothing to back it up.

Yes Maggs,I know what you had in your hand.
An earlier one,was jackbannocks,well,remember the "nit nurse",thats what it was head lice.

Well I knew you would Ray!!!!! Yes I had nits once and was so ashamed when I got the note. Everyone knew what you had.

Maggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back