• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great guffaw of laughter at 'have you seen the back of your neck!' One of my Mom's favourites , she had loads! Recognise a few on this thread.
Does anyone know of the term 'bottoming' she used this when do a real clean of the bedrooms.Used to say she was going to give the bedrooms a good bottoming! Jan

oh..faggots an peas we had a shop run by "old gal Duncan" she made the best faggotts ever, used to run up there as a kid with me bowl and get the steaming hot faggotts and peas for me mom me and our kid.
Old sayings get out the horse rd, swap you marlies, manners maketh the man, yer sleeve aint for wipeing yer nose on, have you washed the back of your neck and patience is a virtue..or as my daughter said when she was small mommy patience is a virgin ...oh how true

Last edited by a moderator:
OK you lot own up who went scrumpin and who got copped up the tree by the farmer I know I did and guess wot was on me own our kid got took home by the local boby after a clip round the lug hole and another when i got home it daint matter when I sad mom you gave me the penny bus fare to go......and who was a member of the blackhand gang ...hahaha and fox and hounds round the square didnt matter that it was a circle ......

my mom used to call me fannyfernackerpants or fannyannteacake

Jean, you've just taken me back in time. My mom used to call me Fannyfernackerpants - I'd forgotten all about that!

Judy

It got me wondering where the name Fannyfernackerpants came from, so I Googled it and came up with this from the GENBRIT Mailing List:

Gracie Fields sang a song about the sister's new fiance which had the punchline 'All waiting to welcome Fred Fernackerpan'. I shouldn't be surprised if - either as a result or cause of the song - Fanny Fernackerpan was also used to mean Ms Anybody - a comic version of Mary Smith or Jane Doe.

Judy

I know what you mean Jan..do you ever remember going out to empty the tea leaves after your curfew time and the boy friend was waiting in the entry for quick kiss lol I always got caught and got a whack round my head haha
Jean
xx

Sadly we left Small Heath in my mid teen years (1972), so boys up till then were my playmates,it was a real eye opener to me to discover boys could be far more than that!
I was a tomboy, who played football in the street and etc, etc!
Jan

Morning....Did you know johnny ashton I think he was in baker st
Jeanx

Oh dear this forum is taxing on the brain - racking the memory! Harder as one gets older - but I am loving it! Don't remember a Johnny Ashton.
Jan

oh yeah i do that too never cross on the stairs ,always said in ar ouse.harley.

yes the suff that brings back some memories in the back to backs, we would walk by scared stiff of the drain .haley

we would say when kids, where you going mom ,shed say there and back to see how far it is. harley

Know that one too Harley! As I do the orse rd, and quite a few of these sayings, great aren't they!
My mom when we exsasperated her used to say 'you'll send me to Rubery' Most Brummies will know why!
Family members were always referred to as Ahh (like our) before their name! My mom said it like this till the day she died.
Jan

Yes. it was always Ahh Floss or our Lizzy at home. miriam.

Did anyone listen to Valentine Dial plays - scary. Miriam

Hi, it was always the same in our house when we where introduced. This is ahh Fred, this is ahh Sid and this is ahh Monica, she’s the one who plays the mouth organ.
Sorry I couldn’t resist.
Baz

yeah quite often but we took no notice

If you are going to do some think carelessly
it is better to give it up entirely

Oh yes, Pikelets it was, and still is for me!

Other sayings I remember my late mom saying.....

From the back of the pump - meaning from nowhere in particular.
Up the apples n pears.
The 'JamJar' - meaning car.

And a couple of 'risque' ones...

Plump - meaning a boys scrotal sac!
Whizzer - meaning a girls 'nether regions'

Doubt whom you will
but never doubt yourself

confess you were wrong yesterday,
it will show you are wise today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back