• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brearley Street Newtown.

A pic of the old Brearley Street school taken in 1983.According to my note on the back was where St.Chads industrial estate is now.Next door to the Stag,I think.Memory not what it was!!!!.BobS.

hi bob. thanks for the pic. if this is the old brearley st school my memory must be getting very bad. i moved to the st next to brearley in 1972 and do you know i cant ever remember a school being there(only st chads of course) which is still there. i was always under the impression that brearley school was demolished many years before the 80s. ive checked in me 56 kellys and cant find it in there either. must do some checking.

thanks again

wales.

Hi Bob

Thanks for posting the picture have been looking for something like that for ages .

Wales, the picture is of the old St Chads school in Brearley St,the entrance to the right of the picture is the entrance to the infants school and the entrance at the far left is to the senior school. I left there in 1961.

Regards

Dave

thanks dave. i didnt think it was brearley st school. i reckon that went well before the old st chads. lovely pic. thanks again bob.

wales.

hi folks. just come accross this pic. its of brearley st/gt russel st 1961.

wales.
brearley st.gt russell st 1961.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi bob. re your pic of brearly st school. i was talking to mom and dad the other day and they said the school was st chads roman catholic school and indeed you are right it was next to the stag pub. i was also in the stag the other day and the gaffer gave me a pic of the pub which i hadnt got showing the school next to it. my brother informs me that before it was demolished it was used as a warehouse. just going to scan and put it on for you.

wales

heres that pic bob. sorry cant be certain about the date but would think about the mid 60s.

wales.

hi all heres two more pics of brearley st. sorry the quality of the 1st one is not very good. its of the duke visiting the street

lyn

this one is of the corornation celebrations outside the rose and crown pub which was on the corner of hospital st and brearley st. i wonder if anyone knows anyone here?? i must show this to mom and dad as there is a chance a member of my own family may be on this.

lyn
celebrating%20queen%20cor%20rose%20and%20crown%20brearely%20st.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this one is of the corornation celebrations outside the rose and crown pub which was on the corner of hospital st and brearley st. i wonder if anyone knows anyone here?? i must show this to mom and dad as there is a chance a member of my own family may be on this.

lyn
"Harold Edward Fowler" above the door. I wonder if he is related to David Fowler?

froth the caption read the duke is shown slums in brearly st 1934. isnt that before his became king. ask david about that.

I reckon its the duke of gloucester. this is only picture i can quickly find
Mike

duke_of_gloucester.JPG

Mikegee that picture looks like one of Keith(Mabz) drawings dont you think

Mau-reece

Yes it does a bit. It came from a picture on the internet on a celebratory song which seems to be dedicated to him on his visit to australia in 1934. Maybe Kieth has some australian artist ancestry.

Hi Frothy
Looking at the tall man on the right he has got a Fowler's face but I'll look into it more. I've a Harold in my tree, my Dad's cousin and good friend. Unfortunately he died young after being invalided out of the Second War. I need to find out more about him anyway. He's buried in St Barnabus Erdington. I've got access to the burial records so I'll see what I can see!

Cheers
David

hey david dont tell me ive turned up one of your ancestors. how good would that be. did they run pubs then? please keep me informed.

lyn

Hi Lyn
I think it's unlikely as my Mom and Dad spoke about him occasionally but never mentioned a pub. The location could be right 'though. You never know!
Look forward to that dance you've threatened!

ok david. be great if it was. re the dance.. ive been pratising for weeks... lol

lyn

please david do not stress out.... ive fell over a couple of time...lol
Last party we went to, 2 doors down, I managed to "slip" and break my glasses! Tomorrow we're returning for a Fancy Dress Haloween. Guess what, glasses are staying at home.!

Re the photo of the Duke it looks like the Prince of Wales to me, later to be Edward V111 before abdicating to marry Wallis Simpson.

hi sylvia. yes it is the prince of wales. but the caption say 2 dukes and we wonder who the other one is.

lyn

My great grandmother lived at Court 27 House 3 Brearley Street, her name was Sarah Hodson, she married my grt grandad Harry Berrow. Moved to 4/26 Radnor Street, according to 1911 census.

Back