• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Pudding

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Are there any Black Pudding experts out there? I was surprised to read on the label of a packet I bought recently "This product is raw and must be cooked before eating." I've eaten and enjoyed cold, raw BP for years and it doesn't appear to have had any ill effects. Oink, oink.

I have eaten black pudding all my life as it comes with cheese and pickles as part of a salad. I have also eaten it cooked as part of a fried breakfast I have never suffered any ill effects anyway I thought that boiling the blood and adding spices was part of the preparation process.

Phil

Jukebox the first thing Pete goes for at a buffet is the COLD black pudding. Hope this does not put people off their dinners but our friend Bill the farmer used to make black pudding and he has been known to take a drink of the mixture before it was made into pudding. As Louisa said maybe they are airing on the side of caution as it is a blood product. Our friend was a butcher and he said that after the animal is slaughtered they are bled and the carcass inspected later. If the carcass for some reason was condemned unfit for human consumption the blood was already on it's way to be made into blood pudding. Jean.

Hubby also says there's nowt wrong with cold black pud - not noticed him growing a curly tail or oinking yet lol.
I guess it will be a health and safety thing again!!!!
Sue

hi jukebox
what a load of rubish whom ever told you that ; ; no such thing ;
i was brought up on it ; we lived next door to thompsons the butchers on lichfield rd where they slaughtered the pigs not the one on astom cross
since i was a little kid ; even to say about the photograph picture of thompsons shop and those gates where the pigs was ushered up they was an old pair of rusty black wrought iron gates when i was five years old
i wpould come out of the house some times two times a day and wait for those pigs to arrive i would sit on the pavement awaiting for the pigs to come
i done that for about eight early years of my life sitting at those gates watching the pork pies going up and down to the first floor of the building and coming down again to be wheeled around to the shop floor all the staff at thompsons got to know me and speak to me as young as i was even when i stoped sitting there and years later they still remembered me from boy to manhood
evenwhen i left the area for wenty years ; peter thompson remembered me as i went to erdington shoppuing they openend up a shop on the high street
by the funeral parlor he recinised me ;from that day to this day ;
yes i can say i am an expert on black puddings most certainly thereis alot of rubish makers of the puddings out there beleive me
and i have two rings of black puddings aweek even today ; and i eat it in many ways cooked and raw ; its brillients stuff
its never done me harm ; bread and butter sandwiche or fryed ; any way you like ;its good for you ;
with in hours thompsons have slaughtered he pig and its on the shelf or tray should i say and for sale to the customers ;
as far as i can be concerened there aint no-one whom could have competed agaist thompsons black pudding todays stannards ;
i say juke box get it down you man ; good wholesom food ;
no such word health and safty ; ha; have a nice day best wishes astonian

Well said astonian. I love the stuff, although I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I would have cried for them pigs ( still would ) but I could never be a vegetarian.

I eat black pudding every day, cooked and raw. I prefer theold fashioned type, nice chunks of fat, I find the supermarket 'healthy' lowfat pud's don't taste like a black pudding

hi mort
nice to hear from you again ; yes you are quite right ;
super market black pudding is a man made processed soya based meat ; its waxkie ; and manufacted ;
and the real name for this product is actual called pigs pudding to the real conieseirs of such eating of this lovely food
and it as to be made from the real mixtures ; of the pig ; and only true butchers can make it ;
havbe a nice day mort ; and friends and stay safe out there astonin ;; alan

hi mort
nice to hear from you again ; yes you are quite right ;
super market black pudding is a man made processed soya based meat ; its waxkie ; and manufacted ;
and the real name for this product is actual called pigs pudding to the real conieseirs of such eating of this lovely food
and it as to be made from the real mixtures ; of the pig ; and only true butchers can make it ;
havbe a nice day mort ; and friends and stay safe out there astonin ;; alan

Thank you Alan I will, and don't forget we need to do this Droitwich Canal walk one day soon, let me know when your free.

I shall be watching the Golden Age of Canals on BBC iPlayer tonight.

hi mort ;
yes i drive up the hanbury road hanbury daily and pass the wharf as well;
as you know its the new section that they reopened or the boats they have openened up new flood gates as well it looks fantasic ;
they also put up a new nature on the stretch and a good parking for he tourist ; they have done a great job;
and as i pass the cannal driving along up the hanbury you can actualy see the tow pathes and the water and i always think of you and our meet up
it will not be to long for the weather to pick up and our arrange walk along it
the big old house at the side of the wharf ; which was called wharf house went up in smoke last weekthe old and the whol roof went and burt through
thanks for telling me about the programe i shall tune in
thanks again mort have a nice dat ; alan ; astonian ;;

That stuff is awfull...awfull...and again awf...IMO anyway. Stick to decent food like a plate of whelks and and... crabs claws...and jellied eels...you know something that looks half decent.

rupert
thats even worse to eating the garbage from the bottonm of the ocean especial from british sea yuk ;
i surpose you eat penny winkles as well ; yuk complete garbage mate ; sorry ; not trying to insult you i promise
because all those types of fish are scavenengers ; yuk ;
best wishes astonian

Nothing wrong with penny winkles. Used to get them at the old market then catch bus to Kiddi or bewdley to go to bungalow at Northwood Halt, eat them on the bus. Still get whelks from Market.
Once when my mom was getting me mad at not eating packed lunch (I had footie to play at lunchtime)she asked me what I would like. I said on the spur of the moment"Black Pud sandwiches". So i got it everyday, but brought them home and hid them behind chair in "Front" room. I forgot about them and Dad was convined that we had dry rot. It was the mouldy bread and rotten Black Pud. I managed to get rid of them and the smell went. Dad was confused.

That stuff is awfull...awfull...and again awf...IMO anyway. Stick to decent food like a plate of whelks and and... crabs claws...and jellied eels...you know something that looks half decent.

That ant 'proper Brummi food'; Jellied eels is what they eat in London, and according to Spitting Image its the Queen Mother who eats whelks.
Not sure what 'proper Brummi food' is but sausage and mash was a regular at our house; except me Dad, he had steak coz he worked.

hi morton and fellow members ;
on the subject of my favorite black pudding and possibly yours have you tried the eqiverlent to that white pudding which is known as irish pudding
its the same sort of thing in the fact it comes in a ring like black pudding only in a red colour ring andthe contents is white
the irish people luv it and so do myself its abit more spicy i think in my taste budds
they call it itish pudding ; but us brummies; or at least in my knowledge as it was called in thompsons those days called polony
when asking for your black pudding ; one would say also could i have a ring of polony ;
have a nice day every body astonian alan ;;

Good morning Alan, I have tasted some a while back, nice flavour bit I did not like the texture. Saying that, like black different suppliers must have their own recipes.

Beckets Farm sell a rely good black pudding, I did notice they have white too, so may pop in and get one to try.

Did you know that in Glasgow they sell 'square' sausage?

hi mort
nice to hear from you again ; no i never new that the glasweigions do a square sausage is it just the same as oursonly square or is it like cumberands sausages
with its own taste i have heard of becketts butchers ; i do pas there quite often on my way to brum
i must try and check them out for there goodies is open to the public for anybody to drop in or do you need some kind of entrance card ;
the mention of square scotts sausage i must speak with my or should i say our mate bazzm whom is scotland to asked him about those square sausages ;
by the way i do not know wether i mentioned it , but last week at the old wharf house along side the droitwich cannal by the wharf
and the beginning og the new opening of the cannal the old house it self was on fire ;taken a complete roof of the house
they blocked the lane and routes of to traffice coming from bromsgrove ;
its all covered up now and scaffolding around they are working on it now quite quickly to get it back ;
when the weather picks up we will take that walk ; which i said we will do ;
have a nice day mort ; i have got to pratice my dancing as we are are going to the land rover social club tommorow for paddys night line dancing social alot of clubs are meeting up there ;at solihull ; have a nice day catch you later mate ; alan ; astonian

Can't beat a bit of black pudding, it's a crucial part of the "Great British Breakfast". My wife also considers square slicing sausage with a morning roll, as a breakfast staple (aka Lorne sausage).

1716474628135.png 1716474674258.png

As Frank Skinner warned at the Alex on Saturday though, "If you're a vegan, don't go into a butcher's shop". :laughing:

That's another myth, the modern fashionable description of something that it isn't. Why not be honest a give a different name. There is a tendency to give false names these days hoping that people are not idiots and will accept the name change. Well, some people will know the difference - despite its label,

Back