• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Pudding

How did it taste :cool: . I prefer the black or red versions either cooked or not! Mort talked about a white version, never heard or tasted that. Doesn’t mean it’s not good.
I've had it. It's quite nice and makes a change, but I do prefer the black pudding. The white pudding is part of the traditional "Irish breakfast" and when I first had it, for the first time since I was a lad around 20 years ago, it was available at the hotel buffet alongside black pudding. I've since bought it at local butchers, I know Morrisons do the one in the second picture below (although it is Scottish, rather than Irish) and there is a Vegie version. I'm really going to need to get some black pudding for this weekend now! :cool: :

1716548498867.png 1716548878959.png 1716549080977.png

Richard, have a look at this https://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/collections/puddings

I have never had better Black, White, or Fruit pudding.

The mail order service is excellent, but may struggle to the USA. :D

Steve.
I looked at the link. Most likely they don’t ship to the US, I have a friend who’s wife is from Reading who supposedly has a US source. You have motivated my curiosity and flavor buds.
When I looked at the link it talked about refrigerating, when I worked at the butcher shop we did put it in the frig at night but only to stop someone from taking it. My parents never put it in the frig because we did not have one!

I've had it. It's quite nice and makes a change, but I do prefer the black pudding. The white pudding is part of the traditional "Irish breakfast" and when I first had it, for the first time since I was a lad around 20 years ago, it was available at the hotel buffet alongside black pudding. I've since bought it at local butchers, I know Morrisons do the one in the second picture below (although it is Scottish, rather than Irish) and there is a Vegie version. I'm really going to need to get some black pudding for this weekend now! :cool: :

View attachment 191803 View attachment 191805 View attachment 191806
About 1990 I could buy Irish white pudding at an Asian supermarket on Green Lane, Small Heath. Developed a taste for it on many holidays in Ireland. I can’t understand is how a ‘vegan black pudding’ passes the trade description laws.

About 1990 I could buy Irish white pudding at an Asian supermarket on Green Lane, Small Heath. Developed a taste for it on many holidays in Ireland. I can’t understand is how a ‘vegan black pudding’ passes the trade description laws.
When I see stuff like that I think it is just a play on words and not the real thing, because it’s not!

They still allow that revolting stuff "oat milk" be so-called, so what do you expect .
At one time you could only misname , or use a term to reminiscent of a food implying an incorrect designation(Creme eggs) of it had been used previously for some time. That rule seems to have disappeared with the veggy brigade producing such concoctions

I eat black pudding every day, cooked and raw. I prefer theold fashioned type, nice chunks of fat, I find the supermarket 'healthy' lowfat pud's don't taste like a black pudding
My earliest experience was my relations in The Republic of Ireland giving me white pudding as part of the breakfast , that was many years ago though . Then in the late 70's I found out you could buy it in one of the supermarkets it was made by Mattesons and I must say it was as good as the real deal slightly peppered . Now when I go to Norfolk the village butcher there sells white pudding which we buy quite regularly . Now the square sausage known as Lorne sausage I used to eat that regularly on a Saturday morning in the 90's , it's better really for a sandwich one piece fills a slice of bread instead of having to flatten sausages down . Great subject this

I'm thinking of trying this Lyn. It's a recipe from 1941 as part of a food rationing demo which the then Queen (Queen Mother) was interested in. Could be OK. Think I'd use brown onions instead of spring onions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240604_195449_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240604_195449_Chrome.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 13
I'm thinking of trying this Lyn. It's a recipe from 1941 as part of a food rationing demo which the then Queen (Queen Mother) was interested in. Could be OK. Think I'd use brown onions instead of spring onions.

thats sounds very tasty to me viv...i will try it

lyn

Back