• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Skyline

The first photo of #121 showing the C&A building shows it was a sleek, smooth-lined 1930s building. Hadn't fully appreciated its design until seeing that aeriel view. Viv.

Birmingham Skyline. (1)
Early c1960s - hopefully someone can date the pictures to a exact year.
The photos presumably were taken from the top a crane.

#3 Digbeth in the centre left and the Market Hall centre right.
View attachment 109209
In image 3, the advert on the Market Hall building advertising a Sunday Times article about Khrushchev might give some indication of the date if we could find when it was published.

Last edited:
Birmingham Skyline. (3)

#7 New St Station - Middle right & Smallbrook Queensway Middle left to upper right.
IMG0007.jpg

#8 Upper Part of New St - leading to Town Hall
IMG0008.jpg

In image 3, the advert on the Market Hall building advertising a Sunday Times article about Khrushchev might give some indication of the date if we could find when it was published.
They produced a Sunday Times magazine interview with him in 1964.

In photograph 7 it looks like the Bull Ring has just started construction which maybe gives an idea to the year?

I imagine it must be, I didn't realise there was a church there before the Carrs Lane Church Centre but I suppose it should have been obvious!
Did anyone ever go inside?

Help, I feel quite ashamed but I am having problems aligning #128.Is the road running left to right Navigation St/Lower Temple St with the two buses going up Pinfold St/Ethel St. Or have I got it totally wrong?

Just read in the Daily Mail, I buy it for the TV listings, honestly, that the stainless cladding around Grand Central is to be painted as it is too reflective, who would have thought that

It was on the news as well. It is creating "hot spots" - think they had similar problems with The Shard in London.

Birmingham skyline March 2019 from Moseley Road between Highgate and Digbeth. Take on the no 50 bus.

Somehow got the BT Tower sticking above the Rotunda. Big Brum is also visible in this snapshot!

I have no date for this (poor) image looking towards Birmingham (but Im guessing possibly 1840s/50s ?). Above the first arch and on the skyline there’s what looks like a round building. Was it part of a windmill or something else? Any ideas ? Viv.

D7FFC565-E90F-4E87-8B48-D75B89570F95.jpeg

Below is a panorama by Buck 1753 of Birmingham from the East, with Mr Coopers windmill marked (there is a letter against it identifying it , but cannot be seen as this magnification). It is not clear where the view was taken from. Suggestions include Bordesley green and Yardley.

panorama east prospect birmingham with mr coopers windmill markedA.jpg

I took this photo at the beginning of the 1980s. It was taken from the 24th floor of Alpha Tower. Not too crisp a photo because I opted for that weird matt finish when I got my photos developed at that time ! And time hasn’t been too kind to the colours either. All of the foreground now gone of course, as has the looming NatWest Tower. Viv.

CDB10C21-5CB6-4672-BDCE-845FEAEA0101.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, we know the Rotunda construction started in 1961 and was completed in 1965. The Rotunda was quite unusual in its construction in that the round tower part was jacked up from below, so the plant room was put in place first, then jacked up as building progressed.

So looking at the photo, allowing for the ground works and the piling which was a significant part of the construction and although it’s about half its height I would estimate its about 75 to 80% complete in this photo.

Just noticed the shell of the old Market Hall is still there. Demolition started in 1963.

And the Exchange Building is still there on Stephenson Place. Demolished 1964/65 ? Viv.

Last edited:
Back