• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1950s

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Few toiletries of the 50s
ToiletryDisplay.jpg

Egg shampoo - I do remember that, hair would be nice and glossy. And a good one to go with it, beer shampoo! Can still get Linco beer shampoo, but not seen any egg shampoo on offer these days. And of course there was always the rain water trick. Never used rain water myself but my mum did. She swore it did wonders for your hair. Viv.

I always liked Richard Hudnut Egg Shampoo. It was good the way we could buy sachets in those days, instead of having to buy large bottles as we do now, only to find that we aren't keen on them. I remember Sebbix, Drene, Loxene, all shampoos I used to use.

I wonder if the record store had got The Stargazers singing 'Shine on the one I love'. Over the mountains, over the sea.....

Brummie Nick, thanks. What brought it my mind was I actually heard it this afternoon on the radio whilst driving. I didnt know they did 20 tiny fingers or Come in through the window' but I know a lot of the words to those song.

Absolutely great Carolina, although only 10, when it came out I remember hearing it on the Juke box at the Bartley Green, Cafe, shows very clearly what 41 yr's doe's to the human body too!!!!
paul

I love the Stargazers version of this song. You can find it on Youtube. If you get this tune in your head it will haunt you but it always makes me laugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgq1WISItk&feature=related Should add that the song is called "I see the Moon"

In the 80s there was a TV programme called "Lipstick on your collar", centred around a couple of National servicemen, during the time of the Suez crisis.

"Be Bop-a-Lula", "The Fool", all that stuff was in it, including "I see the moon". (Billy Cotton Bandshow, wasn't it ?).

It's painful to go back sometimes.

Of course women went out to work from !940s
Eveready Batteries company employed nearly all women in 1950s!......in Wolverhampton.

We couldn't possibly forget the distinctive 50s wallpaper and fabric could we? In fact, isn't there a revival of these sorts of designs again? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335993725.126057.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1335993738.339683.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1335993750.694130.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1335993766.740441.jpg

Hi

wow not sure of 50's I remember the various shapes in the 70's. Those hours of lining up
and Top and Bottoming. fantastic pictures.
I think these shapes from the 50's and styles live on for ever. It was a new dawn a new era.

mike jenks

I remember some of these Viv. I think the second one from the left would be bang up tpodate today. I believe these patterns were called 'Contemporary wall papers' in their day.

Agree Maggs. I like that one too. In the 50s these patterns would have covered the four walls of a room, but today it's the trend to have one feature wall of a strong pattern. These designs must have been quite dominating on all four walls, but maybe that was a sign of the times. People would have been glad of exciting designs after years of drab wartime/ rationing etc. My mum had a serious aversion to green paint simply because it was the only available colour in wartime. So I expect these designs would have been so refreshing. Viv.

I was born in 57, and mum worked from home. She went full time in 1961 plus her household chores of course. Nan gave up work to have my mum then looked after me but my great great aunt always worked she was born in the 1800's end of. Mums shopped every day and carried huge bags home. Our shops were about 20 minutes walk. Nan used this massive heavy mangle which crushed the new plastic buttons, she had a small one in the yard and the steam came off the wet washing on a cold day, she worked in her coat and wooly hat and socks over her stockings, no heat in the kitchen. Grandad got up at 5 to ride his bike to the bus garage where he drove a bus. Dad did 9 till 5 but the factory was out of town so he got the works bus very early and did one late night and saturdays. Mum started cooking in her coat too.
Dad's mum worked too she cleaned the mortuary in Coventry during the blitz and afterwards, She had some funny experiences.

I still have 60's wallpaper in my small bedroom my stepdaughter has begged me not to get rid of it. Its dark blue with pinky mauve and light blue basic flowers, and green leaves on, washable maybe a bit shiny.

Wilmot Breeden emloyed a lot of women in the 50s i think the war started the trend to get more women out to work.

Yes they would Viv. There were fabrics for curtains etc in these sort of designs too during the 1950's.. I have noticed lately that tea shops and hairdressing salons are going for these big flowery patterned wallpapers now. Well everything comes round again doesn't it? I didn't know that green paint was the only available colour in wartime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back