• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1950s

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there too and don't remember that things were that great. Money was in short supply especially if an apprenticeship was being served and housing was the pits for many of us. I think the DA should have stayed on the duck and would not have been seen dead sporting such an effect. Perhaps that is better forgotten. 11 guys runing around a soccer pitch...all wearing DAs. would have looked a right bunch of Charlies....Er. blue and white or red and braids are OK...I suppose.

The girls were so feminine during this time and seemed to be more happy in there world, that slim, dark, handsome chap down at Plymouth Hoe, couldn't possibly be you could it Ray, ho happy days.
paul

It was me Paul,(I'm the one wearing a suit) ain't changed a bit in 55 years...I tell lies as well.

Just looking over the top of my laptop at tonight's TV news, I re-read my posts in this thread and wish I could go back to the 1950's.
Rose tinted specs on...:)

So right Phil were have all the Happy teenage gone I for one am glad we had our happy day at the old Ice Rink & some very happy memories of our youth.
all the best, hope you are keeping well,Just great to see your postings.
Keith

Hi Keith,
I soldier on wondering what's happening to the country. I think I've run out of history with most of my photos and memories already scattered 'here and there' on the forum. Now wish I had taken more photos way back then, but we had to buy film and have them developed, but as you say we still have happy memories of a Birmingham long ago...
Phil..:)

I think that the psyche was still lumbered with an empire that no longer existed. The commonwealth has been a damp squib to this point...but I wonder...maybe ultimately it will flourish in some form, maybe as a union with the English language as a common factor but not the only one. Something is needed to provide friendly unity. The fifties was a drift into the unknown and already manufacturing was shifting. At this point the US is experiencing the same drift and the wars have drained the kitty.

I feel that the real loser in all of this is the country's reputation, though political expediency or neglect we now have a generation of indigenous youngsters who have no concept of any form of discipline either personal, or external,coupled with a massive immigration of youngsters who neither understand our way of life or culture, and frankly don't care. An explosive volatile situation ripe for chaos, and totally unknown here.
paul

Hi Keith,
I soldier on wondering what's happening to the country. I think I've run out of history with most of my photos and memories already scattered 'here and there' on the forum. Now wish I had taken more photos way back then, but we had to buy film and have them developed, but as you say we still have happy memories of a Birmingham long ago...
Phil..:)
Hi Mo, its not just the country the whole world has gone Bonkers, one thing they cant tax or take
away from us are our memories, take care now Bernard

Looking back at any decade has some lovely memories but surely it depends on what sort of life you were living.

My memories of the 50s are great,although I had to leave the countryside to live in the city suburbs i was happy with
wonderful parents,and a father who had a good job(a policeman).
There were those however who had lost fathers during WW11,they were left to their own devices whilst their mothers worked very hard to make ends met.
Sometimes this turned out to be impossible and they spent the 50s in Childrens homes.
Some had fathers who came home from war as broken men and their families suffered for many years because of this.
No large benefits for families in those days.
So for some I would imagine the 50s are best forgotten.

Last edited:
You are not the only one old Mohawk, this is exactly what my husband and I said yesterday...don't remember any riot's!!!!!!

I feel that the real loser in all of this is the country's reputation, though political expediency or neglect we now have a generation of indigenous youngsters who have no concept of any form of discipline either personal, or external,coupled with a massive immigration of youngsters who neither understand our way of life or culture, and frankly don't care. An explosive volatile situation ripe for chaos, and totally unknown here.
paul

A lot of these youngster's have been born here Paul, and still they act as they do. Do you mean it's totally unknown in Cambridge? If so, watch this space.

slashing movie seats is one thing, setting fire to homes and businesses, looting and out and out anarchy is enttirely another. Eric

I did mention some not so good things about the 50's in my post #45, but I suppose those of us who lived through that decade miss the simplicity of life back then and maybe wish the children of today could experience the same. People seemed more important than possessions and had time for each other...there was a sense of belonging.

Yes Baron, I do remember the teddy boys. I was at school at the time though. However, I certainly don't remember the violence, fear and downright disrespect for law and order I have seen on the TV this last week. Teddy boys would have been in work and I don't imagine any one of them would have been on benefits either.

Hi All
My mother actually had two jobs all through the 50's. As we would not have had food on the table otherwise. She worked cleaning at Ash & Lacey's Meridan Street evenings, and Basil Smarts Opticians Coventry Road Mornings. My Father also worked but he spent most of that in the Pub, so the old lady had no choice. 5 of us in the house 3 kids 2 adults. 1 living room, tiny kitchen top of cellar steps, 1 bedroom and 2 attics. Next door had 2 bedrooms and 1 attic its the way they were built, and back to back. She cooked mainly on the Hob in living room as the kitchen was so small. Tin Bath on the floor Saturday nights. Also shared a toilet and brewhouse, (for washing) with next door, Newspaper squares in the toilet. not toilet paper. They left there in 1964 to Sheldon and thier own tiolet and bathroom. Luxury.
Wal........

Walt, your back to back house was just like the conditions we had. We only had one bedroom and one attic though. The kitchen (if you could call it that) was at the top of the cellar steps too. The old iron gas stove was actually in the only living room, but they had it moved to the top of the cellar steps which made getting into the kitchen area even more difficult. Like you we shared the lavatory with three other families and there were was one brewhouse for at least 6 families to share. I think this particular street was one of the last to be demolished in the area, and my step mother was moved to a high rise flat in Nechels in 1970 when these houses were pulled down.

I to remember the "Ted's" my dad thought the world would end with them, the difference I feel to to-days hooligans is that the teds did have a smattering of disapline in them, the same boys who would "stripe" there counterparts at the lacarno or decca dancing hall of a Friday night would also be seen helping mothers with push chairs and old lady's off or on bus's on sat morning's.
paul

Teddy Boy's soon got drafted into the forces for their spell of National Service and that soon brought them back to reality....didn't it?

I to remember the "Ted's" my dad thought the world would end with them, the difference I feel to to-days hooligans is that the teds did have a smattering of disapline in them, the same boys who would "stripe" there counterparts at the lacarno or decca dancing hall of a Friday night would also be seen helping mothers with push chairs and old lady's off or on bus's on sat morning's.
paul

Ansolutely Paul, and I certainly don't think a 'Ted' would have mugged anyone either.

Hi Maggs
Even so we carried on without looting, And i was a Teddy Boy long coat tight trousers in a gang, but only rows were between us and other Teds, and we did not terrorise old folk and never interferred with other folks.Wal,,,,,,,,,,,,

I never tried the 'Teddy Boy' fashions in the 50's, can't remember why, but most of us knew that at some time we would be wearing 'National Service' fashions and short haircuts for 2 years when the inevitable 'call up' papers came.
oldmohawk..:)

hi

Its difficult to compare the various decades and yes the 50,s are a forgotten era.
most of the modern pop music was born in this era the space age began huge
changes in technology and transport were introduced.
the era began with the hangover from the 30's and 40's rationing was still in
place. our towns were still bombed out. by the end the whole landscape was
starting to look like today the m1 motorway etc.
one could say the 50's were the greatest changes in history.
unfortunately like all things the 60's hi-jacked this era leaving us
with all the mess of today.
the 50's still had the discipline of the previous era's but by the late 60's
this had been washed our by some quite complex social changes.
up the 50's

mike jenks

hello maggs nice to hear from you I hope you are all well at your end of CAMBRIDGE, yes as has been said there was still disapline at school and in the home, and yes there was National Service for those of the mid/late 50's also there was more respect for them-self's no self respecting ted would be seen harming the more vunerable of society.
regards
paul

Hello Paul, I hope you are keeping well too. I agree with you Mike, the sixties was the beginning of the 'do as you like' era. 'The pill' gave promiscuity the go ahead, then 'free love' with drugs and music to help that along. The re-building of city's like Brum brought concrete and high rise flat's, which in turn caused more social ill's. The fifties for me, seemed to be the calm after the storm, but how quickly that changed. In spite of the dreadful thing's we have all witnessed this last week, I still believe that there are still a lot more good people than bad, so I suppose we must continue to think this way in order to find some peace of mind.

I never remember any one calling for the "permissive society"
Folks make society what it is, as it has been said on this tread the indvidual is resposible for his or her own actions, not politicans .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back