• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1950s

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't miss 'Saturday Club' on the wireless (obviously Saturday mornings). I also loved Archie Andrews on Sundays, Two way family favourites, Housewives Choice, Mrs Dales Diary, Oh and perhaps before some of these 'Rays a laugh' with Ted Ray. There were so many good radio programmes in those days. Didn't like the 'Goons' because I couldn't understand the humour at all.

There was a time when Sylvia Peters would announce that a programme was "unsuitable for children".
Once my brother was asleep I was allowed to sneak down to watch anyway.
One, I remember was a series called "Victory at Sea". It was mostly about the Yanks fighting in the Pacific.
It was unsuitable for kids because there were pictures of dead Japs in it.
Wonderful theme music I remember.
Another was "The Quatermass Experiment", (scared me to death !).
Another radio programme, "JOURNEY into SPAAAAACE" !

Don't forget Annette Mills with Muffin the Mule and my favorite "the six five special" with all those early Rock stars !

hi mike
do you recall the fabion of the yard detective weekly programe and the starting of it was flashing 9 ; 9 ; 9 ;
can you recall whom played him ; i never fought jack warnr of dixon of dock green was violent ;
and podgery ; thinking back to the eagle comics do you not think how todays technoly is catching up on these one time made up imaginer space item
and with the robots of today ;
i can recall when us kids with nothink to do discussed our thoughts of the years to come and say way back them that in time to come we will have robots to
replace humans operating machines and etc; it seem these writers of yester years dreams are coming true in this today moderen world
to me ita abit scary ; especialy robots are making us all exstinct from the work force ;
whom knows not before to long ; may be people will be vistin the moon and live in space ; god only knows ; but podg ;
we will be long gone our selves from this planet when it happenens ;; ayemate ;
best wishes astonian ;;

I was also terrified of the Quatermass Experiment too maypolebaz. Also there was one called The Abominable Snowman, and that was also really frightening.

Does anyone remember Valentine Dyall and his murder/mystery stories on the radio, and Paul Temple and his wife Stevie. We always listened to these before TV.

I do remember Valentine Dyall. I think he was called 'The Man in Black' wasn't he? He was very spooky. Paul Temple I also remember, but didn't listen to it. My friend was a great fan of the Archers, and if we were out playing, she always had to go in and listen to them, which annoyed me, especially if we were having a good game.

hi mike
do you recall the fabion of the yard detective weekly programe and the starting of it was flashing 9 ; 9 ; 9 ;
can you recall whom played him ; i never fought jack warnr of dixon of dock green was violent ;
and podgery ; thinking back to the eagle comics do you not think how todays technoly is catching up on these one time made up imaginer space item
i can recall when us kids with nothink to do discussed our thoughts of the years to come and say way back them that in time to come we will have robots to
replace humans operating machines and etc; it seem these writers of yester years dreams are coming true in this today moderen world
to me ita abit scary ; especialy robots are making us all exstinct from the work force ;
whom knows not before to long ; may be people will be vistin the moon and live in space ; god only knows ; but podg ;
best wishes astonian ;;

I think it was Bruce Seton who played Fabian of the Yard.

Maggs you are right it was "The Man in Black" I had forgotten the title. Mom & Dad always listened to Semprini and
also Max Jaffa and his Palm Court Trio? uck

hi

yes what about life with the Lyons on a Sunday. Meet the Huggets Forces Favourites the only Pop
Station we had.
Sunday on the Light Programme. I always re-tuned to Down your way.

Mike Jenks

Sunday afternoon radio for me was the Navy Lark and Billy Cotton's (Bandstand?) show. Viv.

Hi

Yes Billy Cotton he transferred to TV on Saturday Night with Russ Conway. Sad end
he died at the ABA boxing Finals around 1968. It was at Wembley although I was there
I didnt see it. Sad end to a superb showman.

Mike Jenks

Hi

Yes a show lost to us now. Drove thousands of Miles in the 60,s 70,s and 80,s on a
Sunday Afternoon from Leeds to Birmingham from my Wife's parents to Brum.
All gone nowt on the radio now although tp be fair Touch FM seems OK at the Moment.
Given up on Heart all Pop WM all yap and Radio 2 all Yap.

Mike Jenks

Hi Di, that makes sense, chrome. I had a Teddykins dish who said dinner I gave to my nephew. He cant have it as he chucks things,he is seven! A dizzy duckling dish and a Sooty egg cup. I am the dish washer!

Have a Sing Somthing Simple tape I hate the signiature tune we had it on in the afternoon at nan's we all sang gt gran inclided. She Liked the Merry Widow.
I etn to bed after the shipping forecast after the ARchers. Dogger Fisher German bight. Like 2 way family favourties and whats my lina, Anona Wynne and Clement Freud.
Have a load of 78's and nothing to play them on.

Have a Sing Somthing Simple tape I hate the signiature tune we had it on in the afternoon at nan's we all sang gt gran inclided. She Liked the Merry Widow.
I etn to bed after the shipping forecast after the ARchers. Dogger Fisher German bight. Like 2 way family favourties and whats my lina, Anona Wynne and Clement Freud.
Have a load of 78's and nothing to play them on.
Me too,I hated the theme song.Problem is I can still recall it word for word,even now !!

Sunday afternoon radio for me was the Navy Lark and Billy Cotton's (Bandstand?) show. Viv.
Me too Viv,WAKEY WAYYY-KEY,Then into"Somebody Stole My Gal".There was always a regular comedy show on at Sunday lunch time.Round the Horne/Beyond our Ken/The Clithero Kid/Al Read.Although I may be straying off into the Sixties now.Perhaps we need another Thread for that.
Keegs.

Hi

For some Cliff Adams and the Adams singers were not their cup of Tea.
Youll sing the old songs etc well sing something simple for you.
Yes thinking on its the word Simple that dosent sound right.

Mike Jenks

Hi keegs
do you remember sunday lunch times on the radio around the table mabel ; and wilf pickles ;
play it gagain mabel ; astonian ;;

Your right Astonian the eagle was way ahead with it's technology but we are catching up Ha Ha. My mother thought the Eagle was a load of rubbish but you can't please everyone. Regards Podgery
hi mike
best wishes astonian ;;

Hi Mike have you tried Smooth radio i quite enjoy the music mix. podgery
Hi

Yes a show lost to us now. Drove thousands of Miles in the 60,s 70,s and 80,s on a
Sunday Afternoon from Leeds to Birmingham from my Wife's parents to Brum.
All gone nowt on the radio now although tp be fair Touch FM seems OK at the Moment.
Given up on Heart all Pop WM all yap and Radio 2 all Yap.

Mike Jenks

I do remember Valentine Dyall. I think he was called 'The Man in Black' wasn't he? He was very spooky. Paul Temple I also remember, but didn't listen to it. My friend was a great fan of the Archers, and if we were out playing, she always had to go in and listen to them, which annoyed me, especially if we were having a good game.

Oh yes, Valetine Dyall had that deep voice didn't he ?
I loved the theme tune for Paul Temple, wasn't it called "Coronation Scot" or something similar ?

Right, you'll need your tin hats and gas masks now. Who remembers "Worker's Playtime" ?

hi mike
best wishes astonian ;;
I don't remember Dick Barton but my parents talked about it, I do remember Orlando and Tarot. Great Gran''s radio was about 4 feet high a piece of furniture, nan's was about 7 inches by 4 inches textures leathery, pale grey with a big round dial and a handle a bit like a handbag, ours was red and cream plastic about 12 be 12. My mother in laws is black about 16 be 16 with heavy push down buttons. What were yours all like?Likes Dixon of Dock Green and Z cars. Quatermass frightened me too. And Doctor Who I liked that one with Damaris Hayman as the witch. Got Mgt Rutherford's biography, Damaris was her friend and still goin strong. Nan called Mrs Dales Diary Mother Dale's Dairy.I remember Animal, Mineral or Vegatable game show.
We listen to Hubert Gregg and the other eldery gentleman's music show.Nico

Me too Viv,WAKEY WAYYY-KEY,Then into"Somebody Stole My Gal".There was always a regular comedy show on at Sunday lunch time.Round the Horne/Beyond our Ken/The Clithero Kid/Al Read.Although I may be straying off into the Sixties now.Perhaps we need another Thread for that.
Keegs.
I remember Kathie Kiirby. Lunchbox with Noelle Gordon.Meg and Tone. Michael Bentine's Potty Time. The Diddy Men.
Circus Boy, Elephant Boy, Fury, Robin Hood. Sooty, Juke Box Jury. land of the Giants, that scared me, My mate recalls Tarby's Wall but I don't. Loved Jimmy Clithero, Torrar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back