• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1950s

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am sure it was Max Jaffa whose eyelids fluttered when he played or it may have been Yahoudi Menuin as Eric Morecamb said, I gave Yahoudi Me new 'un.
Dad liked all those and Django Reinhart. He also Liked Oscar Petersen and Joyce Grenfell.

The navy lark welshman who said Yaki da and Ramona Proby
Surprising what isn't forgotten. The Navy Lark gets repeats on Radio 7 (digital - you can get it on your TV) although they've been running the lesser known sequel "The TV Lark" of late. As I remember it, the welshman was Able Seaman Goldsteam and played by either Jon Pertwee (who used to fill in on other characters) or Ronnie Barker -not exactly forgotten.

Am sure it was Max Jaffa whose eyelids fluttered when he played or it may have been Yahoudi Menuin as Eric Morecamb said, I gave Yahoudi Me new 'un.
Dad liked all those and Django Reinhart. He also Liked Oscar Petersen and Joyce Grenfell.
Yahoudi Menuhin was a classical violin player and Max Jaffa was a bandleader. Don't know if that helps at all.
I know someone who likes a style of jazz he calls "manouche" - gypsy stuff - and any definition of that involves a mention of Django Reinhart.

I remember Kathie Kiirby. Lunchbox with Noelle Gordon.Meg and Tone. Michael Bentine's Potty Time. The Diddy Men.
Circus Boy, Elephant Boy, Fury, Robin Hood. Sooty, Juke Box Jury. land of the Giants, that scared me, My mate recalls Tarby's Wall but I don't. Loved Jimmy Clithero, Torrar!
Most of this is 60s TV except the radio version of Clitheroe kid (50s?) and Land of the Giants (mid-late 70s Irwin Allen stuff).

Hi

Yes Smooth Radio. I think it was an offshoot of SAGA which for a while had Les Ross.
Plays a lot of 60's and 70's.
Although Im an avid fan of Johnny Cash Brenda cant stand Country and Western and there
tends to be a drift into that. Bruce Springsten is a no no but I enjoy that type of music.
I was regular at the Hippodrome when Cash toured in the mid 60's with his Wife June Carter
and the Carter Family.
All gone now

Mike Jenks

Yahoudi Menuhin was a classical violin player and Max Jaffa was a bandleader. Don't know if that helps at all.
I know someone who likes a style of jazz he calls "manouche" - gypsy stuff - and any definition of that involves a mention of Django Reinhart.
Thanks for that, I was quite small and things blur. Have a friend who likes gyspy/jewish music. Very unusual but spellbinding.

The radio clitheroe kid had a Scots grandad which I don't think the TV one had, Diana Day played Susan, Jimmy's sister.

Surprising what isn't forgotten. The Navy Lark gets repeats on Radio 7 (digital - you can get it on your TV) although they've been running the lesser known sequel "The TV Lark" of late. As I remember it, the welshman was Able Seaman Goldsteam and played by either Jon Pertwee (who used to fill in on other characters) or Ronnie Barker -not exactly forgotten.
Just remembered Wren Chasen

Image581.jpg

hi

wow yes the first tele I saw it was in Coventry circa 1950 with a smallscreen. dads first one
was on Cup final day may 53. well done

mike Jenks

We had all sorts of TV's as my Dad was an electrical engineer. The funniest one was a converted ships radar screen it was very long with a green screen so strange but it worked. He was always buying stuff from an army and navy store not sure which one but he worked in Sparkbrook. My first swing was a parachute seat.

Dad and mum used to bash our tv on the top and the picture would sometimes hold. The engineer came and I would stare at him bashing things at the back with a 'taffy 'ommer', I could do that mum told them. We all twiddle the small knobs shaped like thin ointment tube caps to try and get the channel to hold. Or turn it round to get a signal. Nan had a portable aerial on hers. We have an old Boots mini TV the screen is 4x3 inches just stopped working was good for when I am outvoted on the programme choice.

Our Dad loved it when there was a problem with our TV another excuse to take the TV appart. I remember wire and valves eveywhere on the lounge floor....lol

On the radio Sunday imornings it was always Forces Favourties with Jean Metcalfe and they used to have a 'bumper-bundle' record which more than often was Pat Boone singing I'll be home my darling.

Taffy Goldstein was played by Tenniel Evans,not Barker or Pertwee.Evans played several other characters too,including the Admiral.
Cheers.

As Nan would say a the same age as me tongue and a little bit older than me teeth.
They used to show old films on a Sunday afternoon Baz. If it was a war film mum would groan and get out her knitting. She was around the same age as Pet, Julie Andrews Di Dors and Dame Shirl.

I do remember them carolina. I think they were early fifties so a bit before I was old enough to wear them. Do you remember what they called 'sun dresses', which were strappy, flared, flowery dresses, suitable for holidays.

Do the ladies remember 'sweetheart neckline' on blouses and dresses.
I do Carolina and as you asked before I am a man.
Nan wore a loose dress she called her maternity frock to work in, when we watched Called the Midwife it brought all these memories flooding back. She also wore a 'maternity' ring too and a drindle skirt but I think she said that wrong? Pop beads, ancient court shoes that grandad put segs on the bottom. Big bouffant sun dresses that the wind used to get under:calm:. She had stories about them. Then, ladies used to dress up to go pick nicking or on the beach even.
Nan was pleased when slacks came in. She was wearing tracksuits aged 93.

Mags - no idea about the sun dresses. I will have to put my thinking brain on. Nico nearly right it was dirndle.

I knew it was wrong as I saw dirndle somewhere. My mate's Gran said drindle too though, she came from Ireland. Remember crimpolene? I thought it was horrible. Mum liked it. I had a a shirt made of it circa 1970. static. Aunty wore a black atsrakan coat. It came out for funerals, it looked nice though.Like a poodle. Those poodles again.

Hi

Yes Hancock half hour with Sid James. Later went on Tele with the Famous
armful.
Its interesting how many are added each day I wonder how many of the noughties
will be used.

Mike Jenks

I knew it was wrong as I saw dirndle somewhere. My mate's Gran said drindle too though, she came from Ireland. Remember crimpolene? I thought it was horrible. Mum liked it. I had a a shirt made of it circa 1970. static. Aunty wore a black atsrakan coat. It came out for funerals, it looked nice though.Like a poodle. Those poodles again.

I'm no fashion guru but the Dirndl is an Austrian/German dress. Look at any picture of a girl serving at a German beer festival and you'll see why I know.

Big girls, them Germans !

I do remember them carolina. I think they were early fifties so a bit before I was old enough to wear them. Do you remember what they called 'sun dresses', which were strappy, flared, flowery dresses, suitable for holidays.

Remember children's sundresses. They were strappy and had an elasticated bodice. There were many rows of very thin elastic from the waist to the top and the dresses could be extremely tight when new until they'd been stretched a bit. There were swimsuits too with the elasticated bodice and tie strings around the neck, like a halter neck but with very thin straps. Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back