• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Chris - thanks for the photo of the Elite on Soho Road. That cinema holds many happy memories for me. My Mom and Dad had a hotel just up the road from there and the manager often popped in for lunch as he and my dad were friends. My Dad was in the cinema business for many years and was manager at the Clifton on Walsall Road when I was born.

Judy

Hello maypolebaz, I remember the one by the Blues Ground as being 'The Kingston'. Time makes it all foggy but some parts are a lot foggier than others.

it was THE KINGSTON that was situated at the top end of the Coventry Road, it was the sister to THE SHELDON, in fact it was identical to look at from the front, and the mistakes they made building the Kingston were remedied when the Sheldon was built, one improvement at the Sheldon was a covered in crush hall integral with the building along the Lyndon Road side of the building to shelter the queues from the rain and wind, it was complete with a separate cash desk so that at busy times another cashier could sell tickets for the front stalls thus relieving the cashier in the main foyer. The Cinema was built by Bryants for Morris & Jacombs who at the time also owned THE SHELDON, THE CORONET, THE GRANGE, THE BEAUFORT, and I think they also had interest in THE ROCK. There was a boardroom incorporated in THE KINGSTON where meetings of the company directors were held, Mr Arthur Dowding General Manager of the group also had offices there. Miss Lloyd was one of the last Cashiers. Not the best quality Pics but I just can't put my hand on the originals at the moment

Attachments

• 5l3tch.jpg
    5l3tch.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 15513dc.jpg
    15513dc.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 101
The EDGBASTON circa 1946

pic of the CROWN Ladywood on page 80, in later years it was Bill Landons bathroom centre

Attachments

• CCF20042012_00001.jpg
    CCF20042012_00001.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 20
I can't for the life of me remember the name of the Cinema on the corner diagonally opposite Scott Arms. I used to be sent to the Saturday morning matinee by my sister who I frequently stayed with in Appleton Avenue - in those days! Yes, I also walked throught the woods to the canal from the back of her house. Judging by Google Earth it's COVERED now. Sorry I strayed from Cinema's.:fatigue:

Where in Edgbaston was this Chris? I lived there from 1948-53 and don't remember it, we lived in Raglan Road, just off the Pershore Road.
paul

I remember seeing April Love with Pat Boone at the Edgbaston in Monument Road. Guess that would be around 1958.

The first Odeon was in Perry (Pear) Barr (Hill).
Opened on 4th August 1930 by Oscar Deutsch the name ODEON derives from part of his name,
Oscar Deutsh Entertains Our Nation.
He was Born of Jewish Hungarian Parents in Balsall Heath 1889 Died 1941.
How many Cinemas do you have stories about and what was your favorite story of that cinema.

Perry Barr Odeon original frontage and then after modernisation

Attachments

• perrybar.jpg
    perrybar.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 25
  • perrybaro.jpg
    perrybaro.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 22
  • perrybaro2.jpg
    perrybaro2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 22
THE DANILO / ESSOLDO, / ABC, / ODEON,/ REEL, Quinton.

Attachments

• quinton1.jpg
    quinton1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
  • quinton2.jpg
    quinton2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 20
ODEON Stratford Road Shirley

Attachments

• shirley2.jpg
    shirley2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 15