• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

Pauline your name is familiar to me .do you remember any of the leake family who lived in conybere st.we attended highgate school for girls ..sandra coley nee leake

Phil do you remember the flower pot pub ..it was near balsall heath road ..was it wenman street ??
My friend diane whitehouse and i used to go there and sit outside waiting for her parents to buy us a bag of crisps.....

Pauline your name is familiar to me .do you remember any of the leake family who lived in conybere st.we attended highgate school for girls ..sandra coley nee leake

Hi Sandra, funny you should say that cos I've been doing my family tree and I have a Sandra Leek ( note the spelling) born 05/09/42. That wouldn't be you would it?
My sister went to Upper Highgate School but only for a year. I was the first Arnold to pass the 11+ and I went to Waverley Grammar School in Camp Hill. The first lesson I had I put my hand up and asked 'miss' if we'd got to copy from the blackboard, she shouted at me 'Got Got where were you dragged up? in the slums'!! Nearly said yes Miss.
I was the eldest of 7 and my My Mum only had one leg! It was amputated when she was 8 months pregnant with her youngest. she was actually born in Conybere Street her maiden name was Shaw.
We lived in Sherborne Rd and we went to Mary St School.
be nice if you were related.
pauline

Hi Sandra

I think that was the Electric Tavern. Here it is complete with bus stop.

Phil
funny you mentioned the bus stop cos I think it was for the no 8 inner circle. My Dad also had a job driving the no 8 and in the school holidays we'd get on outside the Electric and go all round the inner circle and get off again at the Electric and home for tea!
pauline

Hi Pauline, caught you at it! still trawling through Balsall Heath memories,
sounds as you might be lucky with that one, take care see you soon
Uncle Bunny

Hi Sandra

I do remember the Flower Pot it was on the corner of Arter St and Haden St. I think I may have used it once, but I couldn't swear to that. Though I had friends that were regulars in there. Its funny how these small pubs were so popular.

pmed830

We probably were on the same number 8 at sometime. I think on a Sunday morning all those kids from Balsall Heath who weren't at church were all on the number 8 bus. to get them out from under the feet of their parents.

Phil

hi pauline sorry but the way my name was spelt LEAKE and i was born 4.10.1946.my sister wendy and i went to mary street school.my first teacher was mrs black who was an indian lady and always wore a floral wrapover apron.dont remember anyone until i went into mr purdons class in the annexe .then finally into mr smith up the winding stairs ,only person s name i can recall is peter collins who always came to sit by me and i hated him for some reason.lol we lived in sherborne road opposite ruddicks grocery shop by the school clinic entrance .where i had my teeth extracted ill never forget it either they ripped out the teeth and left you semi concious hanging over a little sink spitting blood.barbaric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i i remember the coronation street party , too.keep in touch can you remember any more names ....

pmc1947. thanks for the info ..on flower pot pub....i remember haden street now....where was wenman street ?????????????????

pauline what was the name of your sister who went to upper highate school ...can you remember any other names of neighbours in sherborne road. or school mates at mary street do you remember michael or alec leake......

PMC1947 Thank you for the great pics of Balsall Heath area,especially the one of "The Wallace" my Dad being a publican left the little Bull in Digbeth to manage the Wallace around 1957/8. Its the only pub of the many he managed that I do not have a photo of, with your ok I will down load it.
I was born in Tillingham St at the house rear of my Uncles Garage which he expanded through to Highgate Rd (now a Texaco).
Happy memories of all the picture houses mentioned, not forgetting the roller rink at Walford Rd where our Saturdays were spent skating until we dropped.
Have enjoyed browsing a trip down memory lane,what a gold mine of information this forum has

Hi Ted, a question for you. What was the name of the little steep road that ran between mary st and wenman st. half way down there was a factory called Monty’s. As a lad of fourteen or there about I used to work for Humphries the greengrocer in marry st. they where a lovely couple and where so good to me. I used to deliver groceries on a proper delivery bike (open all hours). One of the places was Monty’s, I think they made women’s clothes. It seems such a happy place, music going full blast, plenty of laughter and the girls in the canteen treaded me well. Anyone remember Monty’s and what happened to it.
barry

Baz

You are talking about Pearson St which was a cul de sac and at the bottom there was an alley that ran into Alliance Place down to Mary St. Harry Monty's was in this passage. Me and my mates spent loads of dinner times standing outside waiting for all the girls who worked there to come out.

Mikejee has a photo of Harry Monty's just before it was demolished, perhaps he will post it for you.

Phil

Sandra

As Ted says Wenman Street ran from Balsall Heath Rd to Edward Rd opposite George St.

The Only pub in Wenman Street in my time was The Crown this was next to Mount Pleasant Terrace which was a very steep and was known locally as The Glory Hole. I understand that the lady who sold the paper carrier bags in the bull ring and could be heard shouting "get your handy carrier" lived in this terrace.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Crown Balsall Heath wenman St.jpg
    Balsall Heath Crown Balsall Heath wenman St.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
Kermia

Are you talking about Turnpike Garage in Highgate rd. We used it all the time in the 60's. What was your uncles name? I have to be honest I can remember the man but not the name. We lived in Larches St just around the corner from Tillingham St.

Here are a couple of more photos, one of the car sales pitch next door to Turnpike Garage and the other is an old 1935 one of Tillingham St.

Phil

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Highate Rd 1965 .jpg
    Sparkbrook Highate Rd 1965 .jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Sparkbrook Tillingham St 1 .jpg
    Sparkbrook Tillingham St 1 .jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 29
PMC1947. I think the Turnpike was next door to my Uncles Garage it was quite a large spread and had all the petrol pumps on an open forecourt with workshop to the rear. His name was Jim Moyden, I don't think it was displayed on the garage.His son,my cousin Bertie also ran a petrol and repair shop directly opposite. I can recall Johnny Prescott the boxer having work done on his sports car in those days,around the 1960's.
Great pics especially Tillingham St. Thanks again. Chas.

Kermia

Moyden thats the name I was trying to think of, if he was your uncle then I knew him. Thats what we knew the garage as Moydens Garage, but I think the official name was Turnpike Garage something to do with the toll gate that was in that location some time earlier.

When starting up in business and only having the one lorry we bought all our diesel fuel from your uncle. I can even remember going in there earlier than that with my first cars and buying half a gallon of petrol for about 1/9d whats that today about 9d?.

Phil

Anyone remember the people who sold cars at the corner of Edward road and Moseley Road, next to the swimming baths? All their cars were the same price, £99,and they painted them in strange pastel colours!
A mate of mine bought a Vauxhall Cresta there, a few days before the MOT came in. It was the 'ten year test'. The brakes were next to useless and they swapped the car for a Morris Oxford with its chassis broken in half. It went marvellously around right hand turns but those to the left were hairy to say the least!
Happy if lucky times.
Ted

Hi Ted

I remember that corner when it was Simpson's the corn merchants. One of those wonderful shops that did all sorts of animal foods before people started to buy it in tins.

Just opposite on the other side of Edward Rd was the New Inns managed at that time by Freda Cox. My mother used to work for her as a cleaner, I sometimes went with her and got to play on the piano upstairs. The same room that I went to the dances at years later.

Over the road on Moseley Rd was Butchers a factory that was full of lovely young girls that I didn't even become aware of until my adolescent years. And just up the road was the Imperial Cinema where I took one of those self same girls from Butchers.

As you say Simpson's later became a second hand car sales , They were A & M Motors. I seem to remember a car showrooms being built on the site sometime. Another thing that I seem to remember is that it belonged to Tulletts that had the show rooms on the corner of Sherbourne Rd and Moseley Rd, but I am not sure about that.

Phil

I'm coming across photos on my travels in learning establishments here in Wolverhampton of what I think is the junction of St.Philip's Road and Moseley Road.

Was there/is there still a major church on this corner and is it in the area governed by this thread?

If anyone has a photo to post of this building it-and especially the bit of Moseley Road on which I think it was situated would be a help to determine if I do have the right place. Would there be enough already on file or would it worth be going back to my searches locally here?

Richie.

ps. The News Theatre on High Street (Central Birmingham) during the war? Was it next to a department store called "Phillips"? In which case if anyone is interested I may be able to remember where i caught sight of a picture from this time.

Last edited:
Richie

As I know of no road called St Philips that joins with Moseley Rd. I have to assume you mean St Pauls Rd. The church on the corner was St Pauls which has now gone. Here is a photo.

Also here is a photo of The News Theatre High St, with Philips next door. I will remove this as soon as you let me know you have seen it, as it has nothing to do with the thread.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath St Pauls Church.jpg
    Balsall Heath St Pauls Church.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 23
Richie

As I know of no road called St Philips that joins with Moseley Rd. I have to assume you mean St Pauls Rd. The church on the corner was St Pauls which has now gone. Here is a photo.

Also here is a photo of The News Theatre High St, with Philips next door. I will remove this as soon as you let me know you have seen it, as it has nothing to do with the thread.

Phil

Have got those details now thankyou,Phil. Both my sources are correct. I presume people WOULD like more photos taken in different years and from different angles?

It just means being able to get out in the near future and go back to my source material (I live in a Wolverhampton tower block which is having all the internal walls stripped and jack-hammerd into submission to comply with newer building regulations, whilst us occupiers have to stay put in case we need to move even more valuables than at first thought; otherwise our belongings are at our own risk. Some of us do have day jobs too!)

Will you be moving the News Theatre one to a different place? It would be ideal for me as a cinema enthusiast to refer to from time to time.

Richie.

Last edited:
Richie

If you need to refer to it, then I will move it to the Birmingham Cinema thread for you and anyone else who needs to find it again.

Phil

i remember turnpike garage it was run by mr brown of browns garage frank street my brother alec worked there as a mechanic..

Thanks again Phil, this time for recalling A & M Motors. I to remember Tulletts car salesroom. I forever wonder about his middle name - Oliver U. Tullett.
Ted

Ted

You've got me there, there's not much choice for an English lad is there. It could be Uri or Ulric. But they don't sound very English to me, the only one I can think of is Uriah.

Mind you he could have been an American, well he was certainly a bit of a cowboy. I nearly purchased a yellow E Type Jag off him in 1971 for £2k after looking at it a couple of times myself. I took our mechanic along to have a look at it. He's still laughing now.

Phil

going back to conybere street balsall heath ..where are all the old neighbours ...peter and david ali.....mary and john deakin......mary hodgson.....anne bowe....kathleen riley.....pat copestick who had the off license .....gillian flelloand robin who owned the newsagents....any of the sleet family from hick street ....philip nightingale....the raybones....i lived in conybere street for 10 yrs then moved to eyton croft,,,before i got married and moved away...

Does anybody remember my Dad Lawrence Keane, he was known as Monty?
or my Mom Dorothy Welch or any of her siblings?
or my Dads family the Fitzharris's?
They all lived in the Balsall Heath area from Dymoke street to Bissell street?
Mark

Thanks again Phil, this time for recalling A & M Motors. I to remember Tulletts car salesroom. I forever wonder about his middle name - Oliver U. Tullett.
Ted
I strongly suspect there never was a Mr Tullett - it was just another invented name people would remember easily. It doesn't appear in Ancestry, the BMD registers or the Birmingham electoral roll.

Trying to trace the Hadley family from Birmingham do you know anything further about them. I'm looking for a Dr Hadley.

Thanks
Grace

Back