• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

I think I have found R Richards, Richard Richards reg 3/3278 Son of Richard and Eliza Richards, of Birmingham living at 97 Aston Road in 1891 and husband of Mary Ellen Richards, of 5, Ashfield Rd. North, Ellesmere Port, Birkenhead. Just needs to be researched a little more.
Having had a further look, I think there is a good chance this is our man. Others have spotted that Richard junior is actually living Bk of 99 Aston Road in 1891. I also think he might have served in South Africa in 1901/02, which is why we can't find him in the 1901 census. 1901 some of the family are at Jenners Row, Bham (Bordesley). But what I can't find is any Aston connection beyond around 1901. I've tracked through some of his siblings, can't find others, but the ones I've found moved out of the area before 1911. Some had children who I haven't yet attempted to trace, but it is possible that one of them might have given the name of their uncle to the Church. I think I will go with this for now, but I'd love to find a more recent link into Aston.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, Richard Richards enlisted in Essex Regiment in 1891, serving in India from Feb 1894-Dec 1901, and in South Africa from 1901-1902. Detailed pension records confirm his family. His wounding in SA was a slight hand wound.

Hi Ann, I have a couple more for you to ponder, H Lane is probably Harry Lane reg 10229, I know he is from Birmingham but cannot find out anymore detail than that, same as Henry Macdonald reg 1965, born Birmingham, lived in Leith Edinburgh parents Henry and Margaret, both of these lads are on my Birmingham Roll of Honour, Also I found a Arthur Edward Wilson Capt of the 14th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, died of pneumonia 03/12/1918, parents Edward and Fanny again I am unable to find a direct connect to Aston, unless he was stationed at the Witton barracks, this information is off the War List of the University of Cambridge via forces-war-records
Hi John
I have tried finding out more about Harry Lane, but drawn a complete blank. The only mention of him I can find is the UK, Died in the Great War listing, which does confirm Birmingham.
There is, however, a Herbert Lane, 17597, also born Birmingham. I can trace him to St George's area of Bham, but not Aston.
I haven't had much more luck with Macdonald. I have found his baptism in Aston in 1892. His father is living at same address in 1891 (Schofield Street) then single. He's a sergeant master armourer, born Scotland - does this mean he was in the army? But can't find a marriage. Family are in Leith by 1901. Henry enlisted in Leith and is buried in Edinburgh
:confused:

Last edited:
Harry Lane , 27092, 2nd b, Royal Warwickshire, 4th may 2017, age 28
Arras Memorial
Remembered with honour
son of the late George Lane.

Herbert Lane had a brother Albert (found on 1881 census with Mother Julia). On 1911 census Albert is living at 56 Frederick Road Aston. There is also a brother John with Mother and Herbert in 1901 but by 1911 John is livng with Albert in Aston.

Harry Lane , 27092, 2nd b, Royal Warwickshire, 4th may 2017, age 28
Arras Memorial
Remembered with honour
son of the late George Lane.
The H Lane on the Hall of Memory record is Royal Worcs and that fits Herbert. Although we don't know which H Lane is on the Aston memorial.

Herbert Lane had a brother Albert (found on 1881 census with Mother Julia). On 1911 census Albert is living at 56 Frederick Road Aston. There is also a brother John with Mother and Herbert in 1901 but by 1911 John is livng with Albert in Aston.
This looks like a pretty clear link to Herbert then! :)

Harry 27092
1645722075832.png
Cross referencing with these leads to a family in Bourne Lincolnshire on 1901 census with George (Father), and amng te children Gertrude, Agnes and Harry.
1645722016097.png

E T Tranter. There are 2 E Tranters on the Hall of Memory book but one from the Rifle Brigade looks promising. He comes up on CWGC as
1645723956140.png
No other info so am investigating.
Update: all links seem to be to Essex so am not hopeful.

The other one on the Hall of Memory is E T Tranter Gunner in RFA

1645724855569.png
Listed on CWGC as a driver in RFA - now following up on him.
1645724897636.png

Last edited:
There is also an Ernest Albert Tranter, Rifle Brigade 5960, died 9/10/16, very definitely Aston. I have been very purist, as the initials are E A not E T, so he hasn't made the listing as yet. I am keeping under review.

There is also an Ernest Albert Tranter, Rifle Brigade 5960, died 9/10/16, very definitely Aston. I have been very purist, as the initials are E A not E T, so he hasn't made the listing as yet. I am keeping under review.
I think this Ernest (effects name Mother Alice) had a brother Thomas who also ded in the war. I wonder if the entry shoud have read E and T Tranter and got mistranscribed as E T?
I was confused by this entry until I realised it meant Thomas and Ernest.
1645805459779.png

Last edited:
I did mention E T Tranter in post 29, but looking at the detail on posting 167 it does look like they have entered both brothers on one sheet, I did know that both lads had been killed but why only one name on the memorial, in fact it should be two names, I don't trust initials. Thomas William, and Ernest Albert aged 22 and 17, what a bloody waste of life .

When I saw that card and checked with the effects reg the only conclusion I could come to was it should be 2 entries.

Hi Ann....When you get the chance can you update the missing names on your memorial please, I am not to sure who we are still looking for and who has been found :-) .

I have a Joseph Piper 1484 (Pension Records ) born Aston 1883, needs more research, Aston area covered a very large area at one time, Small Heath, Sparkbrook, Nechells , Lozells, Hockley and many more came under the Aston Manor umbrella , The problem we have is connecting the people to Aston Church, did all the other churches come under Aston Church ?,

I would suspect that an Aston connection is enough. It would be impossible to link everyone to Aston parish church.
Busy today but hope to do some more tomorrow.

I have a Joseph Piper 1484 (Pension Records ) born Aston 1883, needs more research, Aston area covered a very large area at one time, Small Heath, Sparkbrook, Nechells , Lozells, Hockley and many more came under the Aston Manor umbrella , The problem we have is connecting the people to Aston Church, did all the other churches come under Aston Church ?,
Found him in 1881 with parents and amongst siblings his sister Bertha at 3 house 18 court Upper Hospital Streeet.
Found a marriage in 1900 to Eliza(beth) Edwards. On 1901 census she is back living at home - no sign of Joseph. (She remarries after his death).
Found Joseph at home in Brearley Street with parents on 1901.
Joseph seems to die at home in 1918 (I can't find him on CWGC site).
1645972644151.png

Next of kin on the pension record is sister Bertha Chell. In 1911 they were at 4 back of 105 Devonshire Street.
On 1920 eroll her and her husband are living at 302 Farm Street.

Address in Aug 1914 from service record.
1645971602000.png

Last edited:
Hi Janice, I am almost sure that he got married around 1900 under the name of Joseph Hubert to Eliza Ann Edwards, then it gets a bit confusing trying to follow him, and his wife with Ancestry hints ..

I think they are separate on the 1901 census. If that is his death then she marries again in Oct 1918. Might explan naming sister as next of kin.
He could have died at home and be classed as war dead. I have a great uncle who died in Uffculme, buried at Lodge Hill but is on the CWGC site.
Can't find Joseph or Eliza on 1911.
Think I have Eliza down as Taggart with her Mother, Bridget, who was a witness at the marriage.

Last edited:
Are we convinced this one is a war death. He seems to have been discharged in 1914 very soon after enlisting. Is he on CWGC site?

I am not totally convinced ?, but at the moment he is the nearest soldier to the J P Piper on the list, not everyone is on the CWGC , there are quite a few missing.

Last edited:
There is an alternative but with a mystery.
This soldier is down as war dead
1645976572640.png
On the pension record he is listed as Joseph Piper and his widow is Amy Piper with children also Piper.
1645976692641.png
In 1911 they are living at back of 24 Tower Road Aston.
Effects reg
1645976873799.png

Janice, That is very confusing, I would say that Joseph Wiggins (Piper) is probably the man we are after, I cannot understand why he used the name Wiggins, or maybe it was written down in error, and his poor brother Frank was living in Coventry and that could be the reason he is missing off the memorial, both from Aston and do have connections to Aston Church as well. That was a great piece of detective work there Janice.

Back