• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Viv, when a kid, my Dad swore by"Bovril", said when in the army, it did him a power of good, and we drunk by the bucketful.Paul

Originally both Bovril and OXO were almost entirely beef extract, though more recently I think OXO has reduced the amount of beef in it. They would have been good sources of soluble protein that would take little digestion and therefore would bw wasily absorbed

With Lewis's adverts recently prominent in the thread I thought I would look for adverts from Greys located on the opposite side of Bull St.

index.php

index.php

index.php

From the Greys thread
And if you aren't old enough to have seen Greys this nice old photo shows it and there are two adverts for 'beer and ciggies'. Withers certainly advertising the fact of where they were, and Atkinsons reminding folks that they brewed beer.
index.php

Last edited:
JAS.JACKSON on behalf of City of Birmingham issued these during the war.

refuge_poster_1Ax.jpg

refuge_poster_1Bx.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of adverts issued in WW2 .. as the war progressed the one bottom right became out of date .. many mums were working.
ad1.jpg

Re ad Greys clothes ad what was the difference between a boys shirt and a boys blouse? Never heard of a boys blouse before. Viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made by Oxo, LEMCO is advertised in the early 1950s as the original concentrated beef extract and still available at that time. Have to confess that I have never heard of it. Dave.
P1020570 (2).jpg

Still enjoy an OXO cube as a drink.....at least you don't get welded - on jar tops like you do with Bovril!

I posted this on another thread, it's Saltley Pearl Assurance staff and children in 1914 with an OXO box. Not sure why! Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi speedy
I have to tell you that you can be jar free with boveril cubes we have dropped the good old advert for oxo
But I surprise its a case of strength and the flavour but we certainly use them for a long time
For meals and drinks , go on and try one more beefee, ah,

Absolutely Eddie - a few adverts promoting those very benefits. Now there's a new one on me, OXO with milk! Viv.

image.jpeg

If you were around in the 1960s you might have seen an ad like the one in this pic of Rocky Lane from Cromwell Street. It was rather large to go on that small corner shop. I think I can see what it advertised ... any other thoughts ?
Rocky-Lane-from-Long-Acre-17-2-1966-.jpg

Clue ... Google's reverse image gadget can find it ....
friendly_wink.png

Last edited:
Google's reverse image gadget found me the one below ...
59991e3c4c91c8f8e3cb5e8b169d323d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re ad Greys clothes ad in post#140, what was the difference between a boys shirt and a boys blouse? Never heard of a boys blouse before. Viv.
Hi Viv - I might be wearing a blouse in a family pic I put on the forum in 2009 here.
I was also wearing a flower but I was too young to have any say in what I wore in those far off days long ago.
Phil

When did Shovelbottoms go into selling cars?
As a local I and my mates would stand in front of their windows deciding which motorbike we would buy when we left school on our way home from The Carlton Cinema.
I also remember our horror when Aerials went over to The Arrow and The Leader.
I left The UK for sunnier climes in 1961so feel it must have been after that.
Cheers to all Tim.

Re ad Greys clothes ad in post#140, what was the difference between a boys shirt and a boys blouse? Never heard of a boys blouse before. Viv.

It's all a bit confusing Viv. I remember being a bit alarmed when I was issued with my first army battledress to find that the jacket bit was called a blouse. In fact it was actually called "Blouse Battledress" !

It's all a bit confusing Viv. I remember being a bit alarmed when I was issued with my first army battledress to find that the jacket bit was called a blouse. In fact it was actually called "Blouse Battledress" !

Is it something to do with the style? Short and stops at the waist?

Elect was their premium cocoa brand, which they spent a lot of money on promoting. But eventually, i think before WW2, it was dropped as Cadburys had a much bigger share of the market. I do seem to remember someone mentioning verbally to me many years ago that there was a scare of high metal levels in Rowntrees cocoa which made customers leave them , but cannot find documentary evidence of that

If we talking of "Battle Dress , Blouse, (1), troops for the use of", I never had that problem, as they buttoned down the front,Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back