• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
cute wife.jpg I said this to my wife, After i`d finished spitting out my broken teeth i said to her "you`ve got no sense of humour have you" to which she replied, " I must have, i married you didn`t i " She`s so ugly she`s not allowed out during daylight in case she frightens children.

My dad bought one of those houses in Blakeland Road for his mother. Caused a big hoo ha in the family when she sold it years later - well according to my mum. Viv.

Last edited:
What about a little trip by train, unlike today you wouldn't need to take out a second mortgage

Attachments

• Advert 23.jpg
    Advert 23.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Good old Harry Parkes, He's giving it away.

Attachments

• Advert 24.jpg
    Advert 24.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 37
The Harry Parkes ad - were 'training shoes' trainers, as they're called today? I like the 'rayon scarves as seen at Wembley'. If they were made of rayon, maybe these were the lightweight scarves. Don't know when they arrived on the scene though.

On the British Rail ad - what year (s) was Sunday July 11 th etc ? Viv.

Last edited:
This is one exhibition that I would have loved to have seen, it's interesting that in 1886 Deritend was even then being described as Old Birmingham.

Attachments

• Bingly Hall Exhibition.jpg
    Bingly Hall Exhibition.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi Viv

Years when July 11 was a Sunday (for the purposes of your query re. this advert lest I get castigated) were 1971, 1976 and 1982...judging by the prices, I would go for 1971.....

Cheers

S23

Last edited:
This is one exhibition that I would have loved to have seen, it's interesting that in 1886 Deritend was even then being described as Old Birmingham.

i agree phil..if only we could see that exhibition now as it was then what a wealth of information we would have...

lyn

A Cadburys advert on Alresford (Hampshire) station platform this morning. Alresford is at the southern end of the Watercress line which runs up to Alton. The line is operated by railway enthusiasts. It was very busy today and extra trains were being run for the Bank Holiday. One was being pulled by LMS 45379. Dave.

P1020562.jpg

I sense another fundraising project Mike ! Would love it - surprised about the price though. Has a look of Art Deco, so think your date fits. The images either side look very much like the series of Bournville postcards you see. Viv.

Really enjoying this thread. I have two copies of Picture Post from early 1948 and here are a few of the adverts:

PP0009.jpgPP0003.jpgPP0004.jpgPP0001.jpg

No. 1 is very typical of ads at that time - you didn't see boys dusting! No. 2 - I wonder what exactly was in Yeast Vite then, I seem to remember in the 60's it contained caffeine. No. 3 - I was labouring under a misapprehension as I didn't think All Bran cleared your head No. 3a - I remember those little moth-things, like a large polo mint but smelled dreadful and No. 4 I can't see an ad for alcohol being allowed today as something that 'does you good and keeps you cheerful!

Sorry, forgot the one for Drene - I remember this although we never used it. It sort of goes with 'Friday night is Amami night' for the setting lotion. We always used something very green in a square bottle with a lattice pattern in the glass. Anyone remember the name please? It had a wide neck so that you could dip your comb in. Also Richard Hudnut egg shampoo - I can still remember the smell.PP0006.jpg

Great ads Lady P. Loved Pears soap - loved the smell and the look of the clear brown soap bar - but it didn't help me prepare for a lifetime of housework, quite the reverse! Unlike the smell of Pears, you often got a whiff in the street of people who'd used mothballs in amongst their clothes. And yes, not pleasant, no surprise moths didn't like it either. Viv.

I was amazed at how many things advertised that are still going - Mackintoshes Quality Street (with the soldier and Georgian lady) Robertson's Jam (complete with golly) and Oxo. Also an ad for Flag Sauce - is this still going?

Flag sauce was produced by Fardon vinegar, originally at their vinegar brewery in Glover St. They were taken over by Horlicks in the 1960s. Haven't seen it for a long time.

A range of adds on old buses/trams. Can't say I ever took much notice of them and still don't. Think the advertisers might have been wasting their money. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back