• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington - High Street

In an advert for Bywater Pies in the Birmingham Daily Post of 21 August 1924, Burton and Harvey of The Green, Erdington is listed as a place where the pies can be obtained.

Thanks all. Think the tall building to the left might still be there, but everything to the right has gone.

That section of the High Street up to the New Street turning on the left is still recognisable today. Erdington High Street still surprises me with the number of old retail premises despite its 1970s and later redevelopment.

Screenshot_20240627_140647_Maps.jpg

I love this view. Think it's probably 1950s. Much of the foreground on both sides has been redeveloped, but a lot of the buildings towards the church are still there.

Screenshot_20240721_100557_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721_170635_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721_170635_Maps.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240721_170711_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721_170711_Maps.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 12
Lovely photo Viv. I remember it looking like this.

I have marked the photo (with what is supposed to be an arrow!!) where I remember two very old buildings stood. In my mind they were wooden but I'm probably wrong. I thing the next building is probably the Roebuck. Any ideas please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721_100557_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721_100557_Chrome.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 13
thanks micky i can see the palace ballroom on the left of pens photo so would that be the cinema marked on your map...looks about the right distance

lyn

Last edited:
thanks micky i can see the palace ballroom on the left of pens photo so would that be the cinema marked on your map...looks about the right distance

lyn
Yes Lyn,that's the Palace Ballroom and Cinema at the top of the map..It also shows the Roebuck pub ,next to the National School and in the bottom left corner is St. Barnabas Church.

Thanks Micky. Definitely Roebuck (I used to wait outside on a Saturday morning for my Dad till Mom put a stop to it.) I had misplaced the buildings I was referring to. Facing Woolies, they were the other side of the school, the three in a row slighter further back from the road.

Thanks Lyn, it was the right hand side I used to wait by. Down the side entrance. Dad took me in to see the clock once, I mentioned it some time ago. I think the face revolved rather than it having hands and it appeared to go backwards. No-one else remembers it but then I don't think many of my friends stood outside on a Saturday morning!

Back