• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

still in and around the Jewellery Quarter and on a frosty day in January 1991 we have the Jewellers Arms Hockley Street / Spencer Street. on the left and then a wide variety of styles and shapes of buildings as we move to the right. We can also see the stepped roof line although the slope is not that apparent on the ground

20230108154529_10.jpg

next is a shot down Hockley Street from the corner of Vyse Street, I reffered to the " Ltd" on the wall previously. This row of buildings has more of a similar build design, and a large brick built building is very impressive. We can see that the second building dowen has had a doorway bricked up and an attempt to infill with a similar window - not sure how old that repair is though. I will point out that the lack of cars is due to most of the photos been taken on a Sunday when in those days nothing was open!

20230108154529_11.jpg

next is a shot down Hockley Street from the corner of Vyse Street, I reffered to the " Ltd" on the wall previously. This row of buildings has more of a similar build design, and a large brick built building is very impressive. We can see that the second building dowen has had a doorway bricked up and an attempt to infill with a similar window - not sure how old that repair is though. I will point out that the lack of cars is due to most of the photos been taken on a Sunday when in those days nothing was open!

View attachment 192838
A photo taken looking from the other direction c1970 is on post 35 at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/birmingham-1969-73.23229/page-2. This looks very similar

Although we have seen this building before I think another picture would not harm. The Crown on Broad street with its clock tower although the walls of the ICC looming over it shows how it has changed around there. A quick look on Google street view shows how the frontage has been ruined and saved over the years since this picture has been taken.

20230108154806_08.jpg

Back