• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

sorry about the downtime over the last 12 hours or so, ive added an extra 2gb of data and some more HDD space we should be good now

just copied the database to a test one, im about to install xenforo version 2.3 its a massive change but its in beta but i thought as we have the space now i might as well do it
But Warren. Is 2.3 yet fit for purpose?. We have had endless trouble recently , and judging from the below from march, they were not then confident but asking for opinions. The last thing we need is more problems

ScreenHunter 238.jpg

hence why its on a test forum mike and not on this one, ill continue to suck eggs huh :D and im fully aware of the issues ive spent the last month fixing them cheers

this is the test one you can see the huge difference between this one and that one:

also as i have to fix the site when it breaks as this is a milestone release and not a point release i want to be prepared for any issues, as it happened none of the styles worked so had i upgraded to the release one (as the styles have changed) the forum would have been down while i fixed it, as i say proactive not reactive

no completely separate in every sense this is a sandboxed environment so it doesn't touch this one at all, ive been wanted a development site for ages as i can test all my changes there before i stage them into production.

It's standard practice and what i do at the university

This popped up when I tried to access the site this morning, via a bookmark.

I waited a couple of minutes, refreshed, and connected OK.

Interesting that the timestamp is out.

Steve.

yes i rebooted after all the installs that have been done, i tried to do it when i thought everyone would be in bed lol

I really think that we as members should always concentrate on the "proper" site, rather than on Warren's test site. The latter is obviously useful to Warren and it can be used for him to try out ideas there and possibly ask for our views on them. I can see confusion in the future otherwise. Better that we individually regard the main site as the only one which concerns us on a day-to-day basis and forget that there is anything running in parallel.

Is there any risk of the search engines picking it up?

Chris

Posting on behalf of Astoness (Lyn)

Have once again lost the home and forums functions at the top of the main page also I cannot click on members profiles and I can no longer make a post hence the reason Janice is posting this for me

The same is happening to me on my android as for Janice, though , for me, it does not seem to interfere with using the forum.

I agree it doesn't affect use - haven't looked on laptop. Just annoying that usually you click on those notices and they go.

Last edited:
Lyn has asked me to post this comment she made back in January and say that she has the same problem again now.

Astoness
TRUE BRUMMIE Jan 28, 2024
my issue was simple and no need for a screen shot..from weds the 10th jan i lost all forum functions except for private messages..until as suggested by a members i lowered my zoom from 125% (which its has always been set at) to 110% which of course makes the page smaller and also the writing resolving the problem for now...i dont have windows and i have chrome browser on my new chrome book which is working perfectly fine on everything else

lyn

privacy notice is due to governments interfering too much I'm always behind here with compliance but i have to make sure we are.

because xenforo stores emails and personal data like DOB etc we have to be compliant. Don't get me wrong i doubt anything would actually happen but lets say we did get a fine from the ICO that's this site done and dusted.

there is so much i have to comply with to make sure we are protected just a few things I've had to do:

Provide an unsubscribe function to emails
Provide prominent privacy policy that complies with legalities across the world (I've had to set multiple ones against geo locations)
Provide advanced control over cookie information to ensure we have user consent
Ensure we are compliant with the digital protection act 2018 as well as the USA and the stupid California one.
Ensure we are compliant with digital compliance for minors
setup DKIM and other email compliance

The list is endless and the task entirely thankless lol and this is on top of my day job ( I don't get a wage from here and often it costs me )

OH and i now hate working on XENFORO software its clunky, old fashioned and breaks if you look at it the wrong way

that's me done for a little while anyway i need a break from this place I have spent WAAAAAY too much time on it lately

Last edited:
I know why we have "privacy" but why doesn't it go when we click on it?

Warren - perhaps this is too much on top of your job so maybe we need an alternative??

Not sure how we came to go with XENFORO in the first place - perhaps we inherited it. But don't we have to assume we are stuck with it? Presumably transferring everything to a new platform would be a horrendous job.

Chris.

Not sure how we came to go with XENFORO in the first place - perhaps we inherited it. But don't we have to assume we are stuck with it? Presumably transferring everything to a new platform would be a horrendous job.

Chris.
I have been looking at some alternatives like discourse those are free as well! I've set up a cloud platform to install it and give it a ty but it looks good and there are importers to convert from xenforo

during my spare time im going to test it out and see what its like, would save us a few bob as well

dont know what button you pressed warren but i now have my functions back and everything seems to be working perfectly ok again
no worries, I knew what it was. I tried to make the forum fill more of the white space, but as with everything XENFORO it works for some and not for others.

im trying to install discourse now so i can take a look at it.

I by received an email advising of a new post on this thread by Astoness.

Clicking the link brings me here, but there is no new post from Astoness.

:confused:

Steve.

I by received an email advising of a new post on this thread by Astoness.

Clicking the link brings me here, but there is no new post from Astoness.

:confused:

Steve.
The one before Warren's was from Astoness timed at 10.25 last night. Check the time on the email.
If times aren't close then perhaps we have an email delay.

Back