• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yew Tree Road school

Patty

master brummie
Just found this photo and thought I'd see if there is anyone out there that can recognise themself. Yew Tree Rd I think 1952ish. I am second row 3rd from the left,behind Michael Kennedy. To my right is John Ingram and Margaret Ponsford, i can see Tony Turnbull, Dawn Dare, Carol Reid, Christine Roberts, Wendy Johnson, Christine Crossby, Anne Taylor and I think it was Valerie Hawkes. Blimey I am amazed at my memory. I would like to hear off anyone that wants to get intouch.

Is this school on the Hob Moor Road near to the Yew Tree Pub? If so, we reckon that my husband David Harvey was in the back row fourth from the right. He had a mass of red hair and came from Flavells Lane. He would have been 8 in 1952
Lynda

Yew Tree rd

Thinking about it I was born in 1946 and I think I would have been about 8 there so I reckon this photo was 54-55ish. Were about did your hubby live there is a Yew Tree pub on the Witton.

Hello again Patty. David was from Yardley. The Yew Tree isn't there anymore. Some one posted a picture on this forum of the very old Hob Moor Road which was interesting as part of my family lived this end of town at the turn of the century.
Kind Regards

Photo of Yew tree rd school

Just found this on friends united site and sent it to my folder and now I am going to TRY and put it on, fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yew Tree Shool

Thanks aston, I was just going to post it as I have sat here and realised I have to right click on photo and press save as and then jpeg is that right?
Thanks a lot

Yew Tree rd school Mr Smith's class

Just found another photo of my class, Mr Smiths. Sorry it's not a very good photo, I dont know if anyone could try to restore it for me?

:angel: Hey Patty ya ol' mate Aston is very good at fixing photo's . I'm sure he'll be along soon and have a go for you :cool:

Yew tree

I attended Yew tree @ 1972
I remember running home at every chance I got through the back lane to Manor Road where I lived, I was only 5.
My mother would drag me back to school and they would put me into my older sisters class.
I hated school!

Pat just noticed i am on both of the photo's the first standing behind Miss Roberts. [Couldn't stand her] and the other sitting next to Mr. Smith. Jean.

The school football team with my brother in the middle with the ball. The other is of Mr Liggins and Mr Smith. I put them on the wrong thread before. Jean.

Patty, just talking to someone who aks do you remember Mr Smith, Well i remember Christmas time Mr Smith was putting up Decorations for Xmas and he fell of the ladder and broke is leg more memories of Station Road school ,, Bobby B

Patty are my messages getting through to you I keep losing things on here Bobby b

Dear Patty. thanks 4 putting up photo of Yew tree rd school, i remember most of the names in the picture, unfortunately , Michael Kennedy is no longer with us now, i was speaking to one of his sisters at our Witton reunion and she told me the news BB

Bobby I was in touch with his sister on friends reunited and a few of the Kenedy children have died. Don't want to be morbid but Wendy Johnson Dawn Dare and Vicky Danbury have also died. They too are on that photo. Jean.

G G Jean,

Have just come accross your photographs of Yew Tree. This may bring a memory or two back :- Boys Athletics 1957/58

Back Row L-R Mr.Liggins : Hemmings : ? : Colin Smith : Robin Batchelor : Mr.Smith

Front Row L-R Alan Sugden : Yours Truly : Johnny Wooton : Wally Cox : ?

Christopher I guessed someone would eventually recognise these lads. The Hemmings lad lived in Holte road but I can't for the life of me remember his first name?. Alan Sugden I remember and of course my favourite teacher Mr Liggins who always said "There is always a can in a can't". Oh I do remember Johnny Wooton but I think he died quite young?. Chears. Jean.

GG Jean,

I think it was Adrian Hemmings, he was a bit older than our group but he was a pal of Colin Read (Dawn Dare's half brother I recall) and Michael Reid both of whom lived in Holte Road. In my class I also remember Peter Tovey and Bobby Holland of Yew Tree Road and Roger Ratcliffe whose parents ran the Greengrocers shop on the corner of Yew Tree Road and Serpentine Road.

I think the Kennedy family lived in Station Road and did Michael Kennedy had a younger brother called Dennis?

Many thanks for the nostalgia fix, Alan.

Alan I have Michael Reads e.mail address. I am also in touch with one of the Kennedy sisters on friends re united and am sorry to say that Michael passed away a few years ago and so did Dawn. I remember your classmates names but can't put faces to them. Do you remember Patty Jones? only she is on the forum under Patty. My name was Lyndon and I too lived in Holte road. TTFN. Jean.

In 1966 I went to Yew Tree Junior School as a Pupil Teacher for six months prior to going off to London to do my teacher training. It was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I started in the January and on one occasion snowfall during the night brought the city to a standstill. I enjoyed working at the school so much that I walked from the Chester Road to Witton just so that I didn't miss out on a day there. Needless to say that most of the staff didn't show up and we had a day of fun with those children that showed....

Hello

Here is a photo of the skittle ball team of 1961 I am second from the right on the back row, I will let you all have a guess at the names before I tell you

I am really getting into a pickle can somebody delete my second post here as I can't !!!!!
Thank You

Linda

is nt it wonderful to hear all the proper english names for these teachers and a lot of very good ones were welsh
very polite and kind

Linda thanks for your photo. I used to be goal keeper [I think that is what it is called]. Can you name any of the girls please as I recognise a couple of faces. Thanks again. Jean.

Jean,

I forgot to mention this, but do you remember the Head - Miss Tinley, she was very tall and sort of larger than life.
She went to visit Mr and Mrs Liggins in their new bungalow for a weekend and died there in her sleep. I don't know the precise details because I was working abroad at the time and only found out when I returned.

Back