• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yew Tree Road school

Christopher I guessed someone would eventually recognise these lads. The Hemmings lad lived in Holte road but I can't for the life of me remember his first name?. Alan Sugden I remember and of course my favourite teacher Mr Liggins who always said "There is always a can in a can't". Oh I do remember Johnny Wooton but I think he died quite young?. Chears. Jean.

GG Jean,

I think it was Adrian Hemmings, he was a bit older than our group but he was a pal of Colin Read (Dawn Dare's half brother I recall) and Michael Reid both of whom lived in Holte Road. In my class I also remember Peter Tovey and Bobby Holland of Yew Tree Road and Roger Ratcliffe whose parents ran the Greengrocers shop on the corner of Yew Tree Road and Serpentine Road.

I think the Kennedy family lived in Station Road and did Michael Kennedy had a younger brother called Dennis?

Many thanks for the nostalgia fix, Alan.

Alan I have Michael Reads e.mail address. I am also in touch with one of the Kennedy sisters on friends re united and am sorry to say that Michael passed away a few years ago and so did Dawn. I remember your classmates names but can't put faces to them. Do you remember Patty Jones? only she is on the forum under Patty. My name was Lyndon and I too lived in Holte road. TTFN. Jean.

In 1966 I went to Yew Tree Junior School as a Pupil Teacher for six months prior to going off to London to do my teacher training. It was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I started in the January and on one occasion snowfall during the night brought the city to a standstill. I enjoyed working at the school so much that I walked from the Chester Road to Witton just so that I didn't miss out on a day there. Needless to say that most of the staff didn't show up and we had a day of fun with those children that showed....

Hello

Here is a photo of the skittle ball team of 1961 I am second from the right on the back row, I will let you all have a guess at the names before I tell you

I am really getting into a pickle can somebody delete my second post here as I can't !!!!!
Thank You

Linda

is nt it wonderful to hear all the proper english names for these teachers and a lot of very good ones were welsh
very polite and kind

Linda thanks for your photo. I used to be goal keeper [I think that is what it is called]. Can you name any of the girls please as I recognise a couple of faces. Thanks again. Jean.

Jean,

I forgot to mention this, but do you remember the Head - Miss Tinley, she was very tall and sort of larger than life.
She went to visit Mr and Mrs Liggins in their new bungalow for a weekend and died there in her sleep. I don't know the precise details because I was working abroad at the time and only found out when I returned.

Jean these were our Sans year I think, I have just mailed her the photo. I think the one in the middle of the front row holding the ball is Marie Allen they used to live next door to the Wiggles and her mom and dad were Ernie and Marg, I am sure it is her San will come on and say I would think. Just look at those baggie knickers lol

Christopher I left the same day as Mr Long and I used to be his tea girl. Remember his office always smelling of smoke but I still thought the world of him. Our last day out was to Cheddar Gorge with the school and I remember him pointing out a Yellow Hammer bird. He came to visit my mom when I didn't want to sit the eleven plus and said I aught to. All I remember when my brother went to King Edwards was homework every night. Little did I know it would be the same at Manor Park. I think you mentioned that on friends re united Christopher or it may have been Geraldine?. Jean.

Sorry Pat I must have posted at the same time as yourself. Of course she lived next door to Betty Read thanks Pat. Jean.

Girls in the skittle ball team are

Back row left to right Pat Higgs, Maureen Kennedy, Lynne Swinbourne, Ann Jennings, Helen Bradbury Linda Dawson (me) Mary Norton

Front row left to right Barbara Tambling, Susan Crisp, Margaret Beech, Susan Chapman Susan? Matthews

Hope it helps

Linda

The one in the middle holding the ball is Margaret Beech used to live in Witton Lane. her Uncle was Len Dangerfield

Linda

Hello Chris I was not aware about Miss Tinley dying at the Liggin's.
Misss Tinley and Mr and Mrs Liggins were all at my wedding., we have a lovly letter from Mr Liggins thanking Barrie's parents for the invite

Linda

Linda I knew Len well and he came and put a new roof on our extension. I was in Margaret's sisters class her name was Christine. I was disgusted at something someone put on friends re united regarding Mr Liggins and Mr Smith and so much so that I reported it. Probably someone who didn't appreciate the best teacher I have ever had the pleasure of being taught by. Did Susan Crisp have a sister do you know and do you remember Helen Lyndon?. TTFN. Jean.

Hello everyone,

I wonder if you remember the school caretaker called Mr. Tirebuck. He always used to come rushing into the hall with a bucket of sawdust when someone was sick in assembly !!
I think he had a son called Tony who went to the school.
There is a picture post of the school athletics team - Mr. Liggins on the left, who was the lady teacher on the right ?

Christopher Tony contacted me too on friends re united and I will go and sort his message out after dinner. I don't remember her name but she always wore a flared skirt and used to run down Mr Longs stairs with it almost round her neck. Funny things you remember. When it was sports trials day we had to run on grass and I hated it and the Birmingham schools event was on a hard surface. She always put Susan Brimmer in but when it came to sports day at school in the playground I always whopped the backside off her. Jean.

Jean,

We had trials for the long jump on a games morning at Grove Lane. I thought that John Swingler would win because he was quite tall. Much to my suprise I won and was entered in the Aston Sports at Perry Barr. Again much to my suprise and delight I won and I remember Mr. Liggins was absolutley ecstatic. My Mother and I were walking to bus stop afterwards and Mr. Liggins came chasing after us to say I had won a medal and we had to go back to collect it. Hence me in the centre of that photograph.

Back