• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yew Tree Road school

I think the top row first left is Jeff Sutton from Holte road. Second row second left is Ronnie Middleton and although I recognise the rest I can't put names to them. Jean.

ImagerHandler.ashx

Jean, the footie photo :-

Back Row third from right is Colin Smith
Middle Tow first left is yours truly and far right is Johnny Wooton
Front row left I think is one of the Sutton boys

Thanks Christopher. Johnny Wooton was was a year older so I wonder if it isn't his brother Frankie?. Jean.

Good morning Jean,
I actually remember that footie photograph being taken. All the boys were in the top classes except for Johnny Wooton and me (I am middle row first on left), because we were a year younger and in Mr. Liggins Class 3 and were very proud of playing footie for the school and not being in the top classes.
I DO HAVE THE PHOTO.

Christopher

Thanks Jean I will post it on to her, I can see Jane Redding right in the middle of the middle row

I hope she likes it Patty. Christopher most of the boys were in the top class and their names are slowly coming back to me. It was Frankie Wooten and not Johnny as Frankie is our age. I remember he was in Mr Smiths class and he was always in trouble and Mr Smith threatened to cut his water off one day. He later became our window cleaner where we now live. Jean.

Hi there,I've just become a member on this Birmingham site....And found this Yew Tree School forum....My name is Bob Holland and i remember a few of the others mentioned...Went through my School days with Roger Ratcliffe.Peter Tovey,Michael Reid,Colin Reid....The Hemmings boy was Douglas..Would be nice to have contact with them again..

Hi,Only found this site the other day and there i am back in Yew Tree Road...My 1st School,with Roger Ratcliffe,Peter Tovey,Micheal Reid,and the Hemminghs boy was Douglas Hemmings...I'm Bob Holland...and it would be nice to get back in contact with Michale Reid..I well remember a motor scooter trip to Cornwall with Michale and Douglas Hemmings and Frank Baron...

Hi oldboy I remember Douglass Hemmings as he lived in our road. Holte road that is. Peter Tovey rings a bell too Oh and of course Michael Read lived at the bottom of Holte road. Jean.

img065[1].jpghey bob, how u doin. you would know me from aston im sure, heres a pic to jog your memory,all the best paul. back row l/r richards,kennedy,harris,rankin,turton,cash.
front, carey,wilkins,piper,bluck,piper.

Hi Paul,I'm well thanks,nice to see some of the old faces from 40 odd years ago..I only looked at this site the other day and you are the third member to contact me...I'm chatting to Maurice Grigg from Aston Manor Boys Club...It's amassing how many old friends are still around...keep chatting bob.

Hello Jean,what's your maiden name?were in Hole rd did you live? The Tovey's lived on the corner of Charles road and Yew Tree Road.I used to deliver the papers all week, round Yew Tree,Holte,Village,Queens road.Then Sunday would be collecting money from all the weeks deliveries..Johnny Jordan use to collect before me,Does the name ring a bell..?The news agents was over the road from Aston Park,by the 39 bus stop..(my brother Andrew married Marie Allan,and they lived next door to Marie's mom/dad).

oldboy I have a photo of Marie Allen somewhere. Lived at 57 and my brother is Albert Lyndon. He is ten years my senior though. I used to deliver papers for that newsagent and my brother worked for Buckley's and Readings on Witton Island. Johnny Jordon lived in the road by the bookies. Patty said she remembers him too. I think Betty Read was one side of them and Carol Read the other then Marie Wigley next to Carol. Jean.

Hi Jean,i remember 2 Reads from Holte Rd,1 was Michael the other was Colin...1 was spelt Read,the other Reid...there was also a Janet (Read,Reid) are any of them related to Carol and Betty ?and are they still with us? Bob.

Betty is still in touch with us Bob and living in Great Barr. I am in touch with Michael and Colin and I remember a Janet Reading but not a Janet Read. Carol has a brother Bobby and sisters Pat, and Doreen. Betty's brother is Johnny. All are still with us apart from Doreen. Jean.

Morning Jean,Would be good to chat with Michael and Colin - been a very long time ...Janet Reading was the girl ...how about Ernest Moody,the 2 peach girls,Gwen and Silvia..and Linda Chapman..then there was Jackie King her brother played in a band they lived at the bottom of Holte Rd.....do you remember any of these names ?

Morning Bob. Gwen and Sylvia lived three doors away from us but I can't remember Ernest Moody although the name rings a bell. Was he adopted?. Do you mean Michael King?. Patty is still in touch with him. They all attended Yew Tree Road School. The band was Vicki and the Vikings. What is your sir name Bob?.

Hi Jean,yeah Michael King - i took his sister Jackie out a couple of times....Ernest Moody was a big lad and i think his parents were quite old,so he may have been adopted ..Bob Holland we lived at 62 Yew Tree Road till about 1975...

Bob at Yew Tree Road School I was in Christine Roberts, Keith Scrivvens, Alan Honeyfield to name just a few. I am in touch with Alan and Keith is two caravan up from us at Arley. Do you remember any of these?.

Yeah all of them..Alan Honeyfield i met about 8 years ago when he had a shop in Redditch market...Christine Roberts (red hair)had an aunt in Yew Tree Road.Keith Scrivens lived over the road from Ratcliffs green grocers..

hellow Jean, hope you don`t mind me jumping in here. my brother bob(oldboy) told me about this site & i`m seeing all of these familiar names, i`m andy holland i lived in holte rd from 77 to 86 then came down here to cornwall.many memories of yew tree scool, it`s not clear if downloading pix is allowed here & the paperclip icon does not open the image, i think you mentioned my x wife & her parents margret & erni allen. the avery`s lived across from us also ken & margret savage. it would be really good to be able to open some of those old school pix. regards A

Thank you Linda for putting all those names up, I remember each and every one of them, happy days. I was Kathleen Casey way back then. Regards, Kath.

Hi All.
Have any of you got any photos of Yew Tree Junior School pupils from around 1967-68?
Regards,
Paul.

Paul were you in the same class as Helen Lyndon? if so I know she has photo's. Mine are far too early for you.

Hi Jean.
How would I contact her? I did a search, but just your post came up. I don't remember any names from yew tree. I was there from around 1967-68. Thanks for replying.

Back